Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

Bubba
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

" It works fine for streaming 1080p video and for browsing"

No, they actually pointed out and said that video streaming/ viewing will be buffering with the 3G.  Just saying.

Ya know, PM could perhaps offer a VERY SPECIAL PROMO, a Back-to-School Promo, Activate a 3G Plan and receive a Voucher

Or a Coupon for one of Canada's Best Finger licking food, lol

Taxes not included of course.

172438407_1b8585e89d

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
And he's available 🙂

PM needs a Spokesman, one who can be the voice of Public Mobile

The Public can use the one and only Old Spice, He speaks for the Public, lol

sean-spicer-ambushed-in-store-by-woman-who-calls-trump-039facsist039

WearySky
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Yup... I'm still not likely to get many referrals biting on it (making sure that I make it clear that the full speed HSPA+ connection isn't guaranteed to stick around), but it at least makes it a *somewhat* more interesting offer.

@WearySky @sheytoon

On LTE, I get the same ~2.5mbps download and 0.30mbps upload. 

When i turn off LTE, i get ~8.5mbps download and ~0.85mbps upload. 

As said by @srlawren, there is no guarantee if they will keep the actual speed on 3G. Since they have the capability to limit the speed, they might limit the actual 3G speed in the future. 

Well, It would be nice to see some sort of Middle of the ground approach, just so that the 3G might have a viable chance.

As it is, under current set-up, some PPL might find the Data 2.5MB to be BARELY Tolerable

WearySky

@makkahn28 wrote:

I think Down-Link should be 8MB

Up-Link 4MB

I don't even hit 4MB uplink on my uncapped LTE connections.  Lol.

I think Down-Link should be 8MB

Up-Link 4MB

srlawren

@makkahn28 wrote:

IF PM were to be smart, they should JUST let PPL be able to enjoy those speeds, if 7 or 8 MB, the 2.5MB just wouldn't be workable or doable

@makkahn28 agreed, whole-heartedly.  These are the speeds tha that the "3G" plans should run at, regardless of network connected.

That said, the 2.5Mbps is actually fairly usable, as long as you're patient on app downloads and so on.  It works fine for streaming 1080p video and for browsing.  The biggest issue with the current cap is the uplink speed.  You can see in my test above i can't seem to break about 0.25Mbps, which is too slow.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

srlawren

@Watoko wrote:

Great find, but it is probably going to be patched in the near future.

@Watoko sadly this is probably true.  It would be nice to see those speeds (4-5Mbps downlink, 2-3 Mbps uplink) as the cap on the "3G" plans regardless of 3G/4G network selected.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

Rockdaddy22
Can also confirm. But of course, we don't know if it'll last.

IF PM were to be smart, they should JUST let PPL be able to enjoy those speeds, if 7 or 8 MB, the 2.5MB just wouldn't be workable or doable

Watoko

Great find, but it is probably going to be patched in the near future.

Dougk
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen
Just did my own speed test selecting public mobile 4g as provider , enabling 3g/4g only for network settings and got 7mb....if we could retain them speeds I'd be happy.

srlawren

@mimmo yes I can confirm what @NDesai said.

On my "3G" data plan SIM card, here's a speed test I just did with my phone set to "2G/3G/4G (Automatic)"

Screenshot_20170721-081646.png

(EDIT: you can see "4G+" is lit up over my second sim card in the status bar at the top of the screen.  SIM1 is my primary PM SIM card with "4G" data plan, and SIM2 is my test sim card with a 3G data plan.  My phone calls and texts are configured to SIM1 and data is currently set to SIM2 for testing.)

In contrast, here's a test I did right after, with my phone set to "2G/3G (Automatic)":

Screenshot_20170721-081756.png

(EDIT: you can see "H+" meaning HSPA+ on my second SIM, again the active data SIM with the "3G" plan.)

We don't know if this is intentional or an oversight, but it does appear to be consistent across multiple oracles and at different times.  

I CANNOT say that it will remain this way so don't count on it being like this forever.  It could be a gltich that will eventually be fixed. But in the meantime this is a possible workaround to the speed limits on the "3G" plans indeed.  

Hi. I got word from a PM Moderator.

THE speeds TECHNICALLY should NOT Change regardless of whether LTE Option on Handset is toggled off.

IF U do get higher speeds beyond the 2.5MB, Consider that a lucky bonus

WearySky

@mimmo wrote:

When i tried this out (turning off LTE) I was getting 5Mbs so double teh cap.  it was usable. but not sure the 2.5.  I know @srlawren has been testing the capped lte  but candt find his comments  

[edit]  I'm on a full LTE plan, was just trying to see what the cappped lte (3G) would be like 

Yeah, at my work I ran a regular 3G speed test on my regular LTE plan and I got around 7Mbps (but my work's area has crap speeds in general, I only get around 10-15 Mbps on LTE).  So if the 3G plans can actually get uncapped speeds on 3G, that would be pretty awesome.

I'm NOT sure IF that maybe accurate.

I'm trying to find out that.

I wouldn't be surprised IF THE SPEEDS remain throttled regardless if handset's LTE was switched off.

BUT, ONLY a PM Mod or @Jeremy_M can fully confirm that

mimmo

@WearySky wrote:

@NDesai wrote:

They did mention that speed will be throttled at 2.5mbps on LTE. But if you prefer to use only 3G, you can at actual 3G speed Smiley Happy

Has this been confirmed in real world usage?  I know a couple folks are testing these plans out on separate lines - if it's true then that makes these 3G plans a MUCH better deal than expected.  Just turn off LTE on your phone and get nice quick 3G speeds.

When i tried this out (turning off LTE) I was getting 5Mbs so double teh cap.  it was usable. but not sure the 2.5.  I know @srlawren has been testing the capped lte  but candt find his comments  

[edit]  I'm on a full LTE plan, was just trying to see what the cappped lte (3G) would be like 

WearySky

@makkahn28 wrote:

I think that PM should have NOT brought the 3G

They could have worked with the 4G, JUST NOT LTE Speeds per say, BUT 4G, IF 4G was at 51MB, They could have had it at perhaps 21 or 31 MB

Probably would have made more sense

Well, based on @NDesai's comment above, it sounds like if you turn off LTE, you can get full HSPA+ speeds on the 3G network (which I believe for Telus is a 42Mbps network, with expected average speeds in the 4-14 Mbps range).  That makes those 3G plans MUCH more interesting.

I think that PM should have NOT brought the 3G

They could have worked with the 4G, JUST NOT LTE Speeds per say, BUT 4G, IF 4G was at 51MB, They could have had it at perhaps 21 or 31 MB

Probably would have made more sense

WearySky

@NDesai wrote:

They did mention that speed will be throttled at 2.5mbps on LTE. But if you prefer to use only 3G, you can at actual 3G speed Smiley Happy

Has this been confirmed in real world usage?  I know a couple folks are testing these plans out on separate lines - if it's true then that makes these 3G plans a MUCH better deal than expected.  Just turn off LTE on your phone and get nice quick 3G speeds.

TheOldVR

@Jeremy_M wrote:

Thanks @Jeremy_M

TheOldVR

@NDesai wrote:

@reveh2109 wrote:

If you would have offered real 3g speed which is officially between 21 - 42Mbps, then I could live with it, since that's still fast enough. But now you've capped it on 2.5Mbps which is only 314 kb per second, and that's even not real 3g, but actually 2.5g the oldfashioned GPRS. So, could PM increase the 3g speed to real 3g speed? That would take a lot of criticizing away and maybe prevent many from leaving PM (again). PM has tried to gain Freedom customers, but this move could turn things the other way around. 

Looking at the below from the original post and I read that PM's "3G" is capped at 2.5mbps. Am I reading wrong?

-----**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 2.5 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@TheOldVR we extended the bonus data promo on 3G plans until July 31st 🙂

TheOldVR

Just received a notification that the original post was edited - what changed?

piggykiller
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Good offer. But my plan is better.

@NDesai wrote:

Wait, what? Maybe I missed this, where is this stated?

@reveh2109 wrote:

If you would have offered real 3g speed which is officially between 21 - 42Mbps, then I could live with it, since that's still fast enough. But now you've capped it on 2.5Mbps which is only 314 kb per second, and that's even not real 3g, but actually 2.5g the oldfashioned GPRS. So, could PM increase the 3g speed to real 3g speed? That would take a lot of criticizing away and maybe prevent many from leaving PM (again). PM has tried to gain Freedom customers, but this move could turn things the other way around. 

Update: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Extended-We-ve-Expanded-Our-Offerings-I...

Need Help? Let's chat.