Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

jshmeek
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The CRTC is so pro-carrier at this point, complaints would likely fall on deaf ears.

No one says that Public can't throttle their 3G on the new plans. In fact, the CRTC has said as long as the "traffic management" (word salad for throttling) is advertised, it isn't an issue. Does it mean it's right? Of course not. Is it at all enticing to anyone in the market for a new phone plan? No. And for this reason, Public will likely soon see their rate hikes for the debacle that it is.

collin1215
@rockdaddy32 Umm thanks? LOOL you don't think the new bands they acquired will help with improving their service and providing more new devices with LTE on their network? I believe they are going to pull through over time

@Rockdaddy22, so you don't think we should be complaining about this?  Just disagree with it and feel lucky to have our plans?  I switched yes to save money.  After seeing how they had based their customer service I like the idea of the online system and really do support it and think it is great.  I am happy with Less for Less but now the less for less takes on a different meaning.  Lessdataspeed4Less  LTE is Less customer service choices for the same

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Go ahead

I'm sure if enough members write a complaint to the CRTC, something may happen. But who knows

Rockdaddy22
Beleive it or not. Doesn't change the facts. How fast do you think my girlfriends home internet is?

lexcyn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yikes - I'm glad I got the plan I have when I did, but this is pretty brutal for anyone who wants to sign up. Limiting people to 3G data is just a disgrace and is nothing but a money grab by Telus.

zhadj030
Mayor / Maire
I do believe the CRTC should intervene and remove this 2.5 G marketed as 3G that is Capped at 2.5, I mean come on. They should do something like they do for home internet , nothing allowed under 5Mbps wether you call it 3G, or LTE., Unless it is one of those unlimited internet deals
With all respect to our great Oracles, I can't believe that you can do much with 2.5 Mbps. And I cannot recommend it .

Rockdaddy22
Public Mobile doesn't owe you or me anything. I couldn't disagree more. Family and friends should be happy we told them about PM when we did. It was up to them to sign up or not. Those who waited got burned, those who took the leap of faith were rewarded.

That being said, I do disagree with the strategy.

Rockdaddy22
Had no problem streaming music or using FaceTime audio. Everything worked great on this new network

The thing is we shouldn't be satisfied that we have our current plans!!  We are lucky yes but as a community we can't just think about ourselves and not care for future members.  The have basically taken the old pricing increased it slightly and lowered the speed of the data to a brutal limit.  Yes they have offered bonus data on it for what a little while then it goes back to standard amounts.

As I said we were and are the face and marketing force of Public Mobile and have been Betrayed.  We have recommneded family and friends provided customer to what our abialities and access allow.  What does PM do they do a complete 360 and go backwards.  I guess they don't have to worry about there front end activation issues now as I can't see why people would want to make a switch.

@CS_Agentand @Jeremy_M who can we write to or email at Public Mobile and I am talking more of upper management (no offence as you all do a great job) but we want to be able to talk with someone that can hear the uproar and disappointment from the community members on these recent changes.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Rockdaddy22
When I get home I'll post a bunch.
I've been seeing 1.8-2.6 consistently. The odd time like mentioned above I'm in the Kbps 😞

Rockdaddy22
Unfortunately I notice some occasions when it's just unusable, I get speeds in Kbps. I'll wait a few minutes then it goes back to 2.0-2.5

canucks4life
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@NDesai Can you post some detailed speedtest numbers?

The heat keeps building up and i think its good. So, I would like to thank you all for providing your opinion about the new plans. Let's hope they think about us and the community and think this through again to make some changes OR at least, provide us with the real direction they are heading to. 

For those wondering about the real 3G vs the 2.5mpbs LTE, so far, testing this speed for a couple of days, i see no difference when browsing and going through social media apps. Everything loads just fine, but you can notice the slow speed when downloading, loading HD videos or uploading medias. So, normal usage such as browsing, checking emails or playing videos occasionally would not be a problem, but if you upload medias or stream videos, you will notice the expected shutter/freeze/low quality issues due to slow download/upload speed. 

Rockdaddy22
Ok so iPhones in Ottawa can use it lol

canucks4life

iPhone 7 does not have Band 66...even if it did there are many issues with "non-freedom" Band 66 compatible phones working properly on Freedom LTE network.

@Rockdaddy22 actually they do. iPhones in Ottawa do receive LTE since you don't need band 66 for that , only AWS (band 4)

Rockdaddy22
Have fun @collin1215 I'll enjoy my awesome LTE on my iPhone 7 here. Can you get LTE on an iPhone with Freedom. Actually I don't think I can get any service with Freedom in my area lol

torontokris
You can still get it, its just $73/month now /smh

Musictek
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
😭😭😭😭😭😭
All we want is the talk text & 4GB of data back!!!

bbdata

This announcement is dissapointing to read. The new rate structure are at market value and no longer realistically competitive. Why switch to Public Mobile when people can get similar plans elsewhere?

"added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice"

I'm all for more choice, but you basically increased the cost of all your existing offerings and introduced something of lesser value in place of the previous choices.

"Here’s how to score one of these deals."

When was it considered a deal to get less for your money?

collin1215
Boys, planning on packing my bags to go to Freedom Mobile with those new bands they acquired.

echf

NO, I wouldn't call 2.5mbps a 3G speed. From a technical and consumer perspective.

Disagee 2.5 mbps is "3G speed" as Public Mobile or Chatr claims.

HSPA+ (3G) theoretical speed is 21 mbps. 

At 21 mbps, you will get great internet experience. But not 2.5 mbps. 

If carrier want to offer 2.5 mbps, go ahead and market it as 2.5 mbps plan

I believe there is indeed some people who don't need LTE-A. 

Just don't say 3G, it is so misleading. Kinda lying to those who are not expert.

I am sure when we are back in the 3G era, we are getting more than 2.5 mbps. 

Rockdaddy22
I was responding to the price gap comment, that's it. Every company has gaps, some quite large between grandfathered/retention/promo plans and the regular plans they advertise.

That's doesn't mean I support these changes, because I don't.

That is 20 dollars a month, or 60 $ per 90 days (Under promo That is worth 1 month and a half service) , and PM is prepayed, so that is 60 more upfront. Which just happened to be 50%. 

If it was 10, 15 or even maybe 20% increase , there would not be such a backlash

Rockdaddy22
Is it really that huge a gap? $20 a month in most cases. All carriers have retention plans and promos all the time. I don't see a difference here.

Rockdaddy22
I'm pretty sure by now they're allowed to do anything. They might of had conditions at first but I'm not sure now. They were able to shut all the stores no problem.

Although I don't really know (other can tell?), could they really have just stop offering the service? Aren't there conditions under which Telus was allowed to buy PM at the time? Is wasn't that long ago.

Rockdaddy22
I agree, at least make it real 3G
Need Help? Let's chat.