Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended: We’ve Expanded Our Offerings: Introducing 3G Speed + BONUS Data

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community!

We’re happy to announce that we’ve added 3G data options to our offerings in order to give you more choice. Our vision has always been to do wireless differently and that translates into our commitment to always offer you the most choice and flexibility in your plans.

You’ll now be able to build plans with either 3G or 4G LTE data speeds on Canada’s largest mobile network.

Along with launching new 3G data options, we're offering you bonus 3G data for a limited time when you activate on a 90-day plan. During this promotional period, we're featuring three amazing plans:

Length

Talk

Text

Data at 3G Speed**

Price

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Province-Wide Talk

Unlimited Global Text

12GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 6GB / 30 days

$150

= $50 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

6GB + 6GB Bonus Data

= 4GB / 30 days

$129

= $43 / 30 days*

90-Day Plan

Unlimited Global Text

3GB + 3GB Bonus Data

= 2GB / 30 days

$120

= $40 / 30 days*

*Prices include $2 Reward per 30 days when you register with AutoPay on a 90-day plan.

There are plenty more plan options to explore, so feel free to play around with the new calculator to find a combination that’s right for you!

Interested? Here’s how to score one of these deals.

First, you’ll need a SIM card. You can order one here or visit a participating Walmart or WOW! mobile boutique to purchase. Once you have your SIM card in hand, follow these easy steps:

1.    Activate your SIM card here.
  2.    After you’ve entered your information and selected a phone number or ported over your number from another provider, you’ll be prompted to choose a plan. Select the following combination to score one of our limited time offers:
  •     90-day pass
  •     Unlimited Province-Wide Talk
  •     Unlimited Global Text
  •     Your desired data allotment:

3 + 3GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 2GB / 30 days

6 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 4GB / 30 days

12 + 6GB BONUS at 3G Speed /90 days = 6GB / 30 days

1.    Select your payment method (don’t forget to sign up for AutoPay to receive the $2 Reward / 30 days) and finalize the rest of the activation process.

Things to know

•     This promotional bonus data offer is only for a limited time.
  •     Once an end date is communicated, it is the last day you can activate on our promotional plans. The promotion will not be honoured after the communicated end date for any SIM cards that have not been activated by the deadline. This includes SIM cards that have been purchased online and have not yet arrived or been activated.

What’s the difference between 3G and 4G LTE?** Good question.

3G is a great option if you mostly use data to check Facebook, respond to emails or browse the web, but you may experience a slight reduction in picture quality and some buffering when viewing videos. 4G LTE is our fastest data option. If you’re looking to do all the above, plus stream HD videos and consume dynamic content, like Snapchat or Instagram stories, without compromising on image quality or a seamless video experience, 4G LTE is our recommended data speed for you!

Check out this video below to better visualize the difference:

**Plans with 4G LTE data can access maximum LTE download speeds (manufacturer rated at up to 750 Mbps; expected average speeds 12-200 Mbps). Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see https://www.publicmobile.ca/pdfs/Wireless_Video_Experience_Optimization.pdf. Compatible device required.

Are you a current Public Mobile customer?

If you’re already a customer (joined prior to the 3G launch), this change will not affect your current plan. Looking to change your current plan? No problem - use the Self Serve portal to make plan changes for your next renewal date, but keep in mind: once changes have been made, you will not be able to switch back to your current plan at a later date if it’s no longer available. View our Service Terms for more details.

You’ll also notice that we have removed and grandfathered the 10-day plan. We did this in order to refocus our resources and stay focused on what our customers want.

Public Mobile Community Team

646 REPLIES 646

Rockdaddy22
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité
Thank you

jshmeek
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

The legacy plans got a $3 rate increase per month effective in early April this year. Not sure what the numbers were for the older plans.

Rockdaddy22
Nobody has ever said that lol Rogers Telus Bell can raise rates too even with a contract

Rockdaddy22
So since going to this self serve model, how many plans have they forced people to give up? How much did it go up?

jshmeek

Right, they got the option to shuffle to Koodo or take a rate increase. And who says a forced plan change isn't out of the question? These are prepaid plans, we never signed a contract locking in a rate.

Rockdaddy22
@xCameron94x
We're talking about being forced onto a higher plan. Nobody is forced to go onto those plans

jshmeek

As far as I know, two of them were to plans from prior to the Telus aquisition. The third was due to some people left on other plans that still had access to call centers (I'm pretty sure there was about a year where Telus kept CC support in Public plans before going "self-serve"). The old plans on PM (pre-Telus) focused on talk and text with only a few plans with one or two gigabytes of data. And the network was obviously far more like Mobilicity or Freedom in the sense of coverage and sub-par technologies in comparison to the Big 3 (3G only, with the network coverage focused in Ontario and Quebec markets). The plans offered by Telus often were better than what people had, but talk/text only plans were raised from what they were.

@Rockdaddy22 some examples;

90 day/ Province wide calling/ Unlm text. 6gb data was -120. Now is $180

90 day/Province wide calling/ Unlim text- 12GB data was $186- Now is $225

90 day/ Canada wide & US calling/ Unlim text- 6gb- was $150 now is $210

Rockdaddy22
@jshmeek
Could you please educate me on the 3 price increases your speaking about? Do you remember how much they went up by?

Rockdaddy22
It's definitely a shame, I'm sorry you missed out 😞

Dragonstew
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin
Wow i just bought 2 sims and the plan changed to these 3 g plans....im glad I'm only out the 10 bucks. I won't be activating the SIM cards. I will be going with another provider , very unfortunate . These plans just aren't comparable considering the lack of other services that PM doesn't offer.
I just can't sign on to these plans knowing that just a few days ago 4g and considerably more data were being offered for the same money.

jshmeek

There have been price hikes on three former plans (legacy, pioneer, grandfathered). I would not be in the least bit surprised of the currently active 12GB/90 day and maybe even the non-promo LTE plans getting hikes soon. 50% increase on the core "value" plan that made Public what it was. The majority of us are likely paying $120 base price (minus rewards) for 90 days right now. The new equivalent plans are $60 more per 90 days. Such a huge jump shows that another increase isn't out of the question.

Maxeffect
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
Oh it was when they did an overhaul like this before 9 months or no ago

Rockdaddy22
When was this if you don't mind me asking?

Maxeffect
Okay just wanted to make sure cause last time u guys changed your plans I get a text message saying my plan isn't available anymore sorry you will have to change it before renewal!!... Just wanted to make sure that this isn't the case again !!

Rockdaddy22
Don't EVER change your plan lol

SD08

@Maxeffect wrote:
Just so I understand here I have 6 GB of data for 84 dollars and using 4g service.. now the new 4g 6gb of service has almost doubled in price for the same service!! if I'm on auto pay and my plan is up for renewal on Aug 5th do I have to pick a new plan or will my current plan continue on the 84 dollar one ???.. If I have to pick another plan I'm out ..not paying double for the same service thats just wrong freedom mobile will be getting my business if thats the case ...

No, you don't have to pick a new plan.  As long as you don't make any changes, you can continue renewing whichever plan you currently have.

Maxeffect
Just so I understand here I have 6 GB of data for 84 dollars and using 4g service.. now the new 4g 6gb of service has almost doubled in price for the same service!! if I'm on auto pay and my plan is up for renewal on Aug 5th do I have to pick a new plan or will my current plan continue on the 84 dollar one ???.. If I have to pick another plan I'm out ..not paying double for the same service thats just wrong freedom mobile will be getting my business if thats the case ...

Rockdaddy22
How do you know it was working? We don't know anything like that. Maybe it just wasn't sustainable at those price levels, maybe Telus and Koodo weren't happy. We don't know why this happened. Maybe we'll have a huge back to school promo, we just don't know

@PhoneSeeker wrote:

@echf wrote:

NO, I wouldn't call 2.5mbps a 3G speed. From a technical and consumer perspective.

Disagee 2.5 mbps is "3G speed" as Public Mobile or Chatr claims.

HSPA+ (3G) theoretical speed is 21 mbps. 

At 21 mbps, you will get great internet experience. But not 2.5 mbps. 

If carrier want to offer 2.5 mbps, go ahead and market it as 2.5 mbps plan

I believe there is indeed some people who don't need LTE-A. 

Just don't say 3G, it is so misleading. Kinda lying to those who are not expert.

I am sure when we are back in the 3G era, we are getting more than 2.5 mbps. 

I don't believe you've ever used Mobilicity. When I was with Mobilicity, they used to advertise that their network was a blazing fast "4G" but they capped our speeds to 2.0 Mbps. ChatR says that their unlimited plans offer 3G speeds but they also throttle to 3.0 Mbps.

I'm not defending PM's new pricing strategy, but what PM is doing isn't any different than what other carriers have done in the past and are currently doing today.

@PhoneSeeker, I agree it isn't anything that other providers haven't done before.  That is the problem, Public Mobile was an Innovator in the Mobile Provider.  They were blazing new trails with their pricing and customer service model and it was working.  Now it seems they are no longer a rail blazer they  haev just gotten to the back of the heard with the other sheep.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

PhoneSeeker

@echf wrote:

NO, I wouldn't call 2.5mbps a 3G speed. From a technical and consumer perspective.

Disagee 2.5 mbps is "3G speed" as Public Mobile or Chatr claims.

HSPA+ (3G) theoretical speed is 21 mbps. 

At 21 mbps, you will get great internet experience. But not 2.5 mbps. 

If carrier want to offer 2.5 mbps, go ahead and market it as 2.5 mbps plan

I believe there is indeed some people who don't need LTE-A. 

Just don't say 3G, it is so misleading. Kinda lying to those who are not expert.

I am sure when we are back in the 3G era, we are getting more than 2.5 mbps. 

I don't believe you've ever used Mobilicity. When I was with Mobilicity, they used to advertise that their network was a blazing fast "4G" but they capped our speeds to 2.0 Mbps. ChatR says that their unlimited plans offer 3G speeds but they also throttle to 3.0 Mbps.

I'm not defending PM's new pricing strategy, but what PM is doing isn't any different than what other carriers have done in the past and are currently doing today.

PhoneSeeker

@zhadj030 wrote:
I do believe the CRTC should intervene and remove this 2.5 G marketed as 3G that is Capped at 2.5, I mean come on. They should do something like they do for home internet , nothing allowed under 5Mbps wether you call it 3G, or LTE.,

ChatR and Mobilicity have been doing this for years. Carriers are free to throttle as they choose. Mobilicity used to advertise their network as "4G" while capping speeds to 2.0Mbps! The CRTC won't do anything about that.

Rockdaddy22
The less for less definitely means something different to new customers, if we get any. I don't remember telling anyone not to complain. Complain away

@ShawnC13

jshmeek

The price increase on the LTE plans, however, isn't reasonable anymore. People are better off on post-paid Koodo/Fido/Virgin plans for LTE data.

Most people I recommended to Public saw the 90 day prepaid formula of the plans to be a negative rather than a positive (and thus, one of the reasons for Public's lower pricing). But at current prices for the LTE plans, people are simply better off elsewhere. The plans need revamping, but whether that actually happens is another question.

Rockdaddy22
@reveh2109 Why would effect people staying with PM. This will not change our current pricing.

Rockdaddy22
@lexcyn nobody is being limited to 3G

reveh2109

Have you read how the announced it? "Introducing 3G Speed"... Eh... didn't that happen in Canada back in 2005 already??? So, raising the 4g/LTE prices incredibly and introducing 3g back with a slow speed of max 2.5 mbps which = 312 kb per sec: that should be a mistake. Otherwise there is almost no reason anymore to switch to PM or to stay with them. For these prices there are lots of other options with even shared data.

rikersbeard

As many here have said, this is a step backwards. 

The issue is simple: I have vocally recommended your company in the past. Now, I cannot do so. If this was the intention of Public Mobile/Telus, they have succeeded.

reveh2109

You're right. Once you have locked in before the end of the promotion date, you're good to go at the renewal date.

Saintfania
Can someone pls help me, I complete everything on activation parts but my system said i have to pay another fee
Need Help? Let's chat.