Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective February 15th, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We have some important information to share with our Legacy/Pioneer customers. As a reminder, Legacy/Pioneer customers are those who continue to have access to the call centre and are on one of the five plans listed below.

• $22 Province-Wide Talk
  • $28 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
  • $43 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $48 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $63 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

As you know, Public Mobile has been on a journey to become an online-only brand and give Canadians control of their wireless spend. Along this journey, we will need to make some changes to adapt. To that end, effective February 15th, 2018, all Legacy/Pioneer rate plans will increase in price. The reason for the price increase is simple: operating a call centre is expensive and, as the number of Legacy/Pioneer customers decreases, we lose the scale that has allowed us to operate it to date.

With that said, what we care about most is our customers and we want you to continue feeling good about your wireless choice, so we’ve worked with our sister brand, Koodo, to offer all Legacy/Pioneer customers a way to keep the same price. For a limited time, from January 10th to February 9th, 2018, Legacy/Pioneer customers can join Koodo with a similar rate plan that they have now with Public Mobile, at the same price they pay today. If you are a Legacy/Pioneer customer, you are eligible for this offer and you will be hearing from us over the next few days with details on how to take advantage of this deal.

If you are not a Legacy/Pioneer customer, this price increase and the above offer do not apply to you and you can continue enjoying your current plan.

To learn more, visit publicmobile.ca/serviceupdate.   

Thank you for your continued support as we evolve and change Smiley Happy

The Public Mobile Team

313 REPLIES 313

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Ludditewrote:

@srlawren My friend with a Legacy plan just received a text extending the Koodo offer to Feb 28. It did not delay the PM price increase though.

Thanks @Luddite.  It actually makes perfect sense for the end date to be end of Feb.  This accounts for situations like @LNcellMobile, giving them time to get to or nearly to the end of their current 30 day cycle without loosing much/any.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren My friend with a Legacy plan just received a text extending the Koodo offer to Feb 28. It did not delay the PM price increase though.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

@LNcellMobilewrote:

Hi

If we decided to switch over to koodo, yet still 1/2 way into the public mobility plan, what happens to the talk time of the current month in public mobility.  Does the money left over get carried over to koodo? Thanks

@LNcellMobile if you had leftover "Available Funds" balance, then yes you could request to have it moved over.  However, you won't be compensated for any time remaining in your current cycle if you transfer over to Koodo in the middle of it.  You would want to time it correctly.

That said, the original page says this offer was only available until Feb 9th, which has passed.  @Brooke_C or @CS_Agent: could you please comment whether or not the date has been extended? 

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

LNcellMobile
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi

If we decided to switch over to koodo, yet still 1/2 way into the public mobility plan, what happens to the talk time of the current month in public mobility.  Does the money left over get carried over to koodo? Thanks

claude1960
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Greenwald

The rename is the greatest idea so far.

Greenwald

if i wanted the same canada wide calling i would pay 37$ instead of 28 and thats without the non existing call centre, i've been bombarded with publicmobile text to switch to koodo for 2 years now. Just rename public mobile too Koodo Mobile 

win2018
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I changed to self serving plan. Still in PM

srlawren

@claude1960wrote:

@srlawren

as a pionner my increase will be $5

@claude1960 okay yes, one of the plans is $5 while the others are $2.  Sorry  @kooter2 was specifically thinking his or her plan was going up by $2, which is why I kept my reply simpler by only mentioning that amount.  Since it doesn't apply to him or her anyway, I didn't think that distinction was terribly significant in the context.  But thanks for the clarification, regardless.

claude1960

@srlawren

as a pionner my increase will be $5

claude1960

@win2018

so you're not changing?

win2018
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Plans in Koodo are similar to that in PM. But not the same

srlawren

wrote:

I joined p.m. about 6 months ago I was under the impression that they were going to raise my rates by $2 a month and that I was able to transfer over to Koodo on this deal but why would I want to pay $45 a month instead of 36 which I'm which is what I'm paying now for the same thing so I'll just pass thank you very much

@kooter2 you didn't read the first post properly.  This $2 increase ONLY applies to "legacy/pioneer" customers that are still on plans they got onto prior to Feb 2016, and does not apply to you.  No need to worry.

kooter2

I joined p.m. about 6 months ago I was under the impression that they were going to raise my rates by $2 a month and that I was able to transfer over to Koodo on this deal but why would I want to pay $45 a month instead of 36 which I'm which is what I'm paying now for the same thing so I'll just pass thank you very much

@sjpenner When did you join Public Mobile? There are two Koodo offers floating around. They seem to be linked to the PM phone number. That is the only number Koodo will transfer and give the promo.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

srlawren

wrote:

I went to a Koodo booth to ask about what is happening and they said I need a code to switch my plan over. How do I get this code? They also said my plan may not be eligible. 

@sjpenner are you on a legacy plan that is on the list in the very first posting in this thread?  If not, you are not eligible for this offer.  If you are eligible, you should have received a text message with the offer code, which is required to redeem. 

If you feel you were missed incorrectly, please reach out to the moderator team via private message for help.  Should you need to, here are the details:

Spoiler
How can you get help with your account, activation, or service?In your message please include:
  • PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue
Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:
  • Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount
How long until they reply?:
  • Office Hours: Mon-Friday 9am to 9pm, and Saturday & Sunday from 9am to 7:00pm [Toronto Time].
  • Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received
  • Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, depending on message queue, but can be up to 48 hours.
  • There is no need to send multiple messages.
Additional Useful Information:
  • Search PM-GUIDE (remove "-" during the search) to find some informative posts and answers to many common questions about Public Mobile

sjpenner

I went to a Koodo booth to ask about what is happening and they said I need a code to switch my plan over. How do I get this code? They also said my plan may not be eligible. 

wrote:

I am neither a legacy or pioneer customer so why am I getting this offer my plan is $40 a month which does not correspond to any of the plans listed

@kooter2

Are you sure you are not in the group addressed here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/Switching-to-Koodo-for-a-monthly-plan/m-p...

While the offers are looking similar, definitely a different target group.

Edit: @srlawren just beat me to it!

srlawren

@kooter2 you're not getting this offer, it's a different one.  This thread does not apply to you at all.  From time to time, PM/Koodo have been offering up a Koodo transfer for people on the $40 plans.  Don't worry, if you're not a legacy customer, your PM plan cost is not increasing on the 15th, and you can safely ignore the Koodo offer you were sent if you are not interested (or of course take them up on it if you are). 

matbasm
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@kooter2, you might want to send a private message to the moderators team.  They should be able to see why you are receiving the promotional info if you are not eligible.

Click here to send them a private message.
Information regarding the moderators team can be found by following this link.

kooter2

I am neither a legacy or pioneer customer so why am I getting this offer my plan is $40 a month which does not correspond to any of the plans listed

David01

I don’t have a legacy plan, but I switched from Koodo and love Public Mobile! The data here is MUCH cheaper than Koodo and I get unlimited calling too! Glad to see you also like it here 😀

claude1960

@Cine

Bonjour,

Tu essaie de rejoindre qui?

Quel sont tes questions?

Es-tu un ancien client?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Comme @matbasm a dit, tu pet appeler au 611, ou envoyer une message priveee aux moderateurs.  Leurs heures de travaille sont de 9h - 9h L-V & 9h - 7h S,D

Cine

Je n'arrive plus à les joindre. Car j'ai demandé aujourd'hui le transfert vers Koodo suite à leur message nous encourageant à changer.

Et je veux annuler le transfert. Mais je n'arrive pas à les joindre.

Pouvez-vous me dire quoi faire svp?

matbasm

@Cine, Si tu es un ancien client (avec un plan avant 2015-01-25), tu peut appeler 611 sur ton cellulaire.

Sinon, tu put envoyer un message prive aux moderateurs.

Cliquez ici pour envoyer un message prive aux group des moderateurs.

Cine

Bonjour

J'ai des questions concernant les transferts des anciens clients vers Koodo

J'essaie de vous joindre sans succès

Est-ce que quelqu'un peut répondre à mes questions svp?

claude1960

@Chrismckeown

Last month it said to just show the text we received

Michael77

@Mojdehnasr,

I've referred many people to Zoomer. You don't have to be a senior to sign up. They have great customer service,  a call centre, you get a free phone and after 6 months you can get one of their loyalty plans. 

srlawren

wrote:

What customer service? There is no customer service at public mobile, there is no way to reach you guys if clients need something except this community method which is bogus to be honest. We're in 2018...every company has a direct phone number easy accessible customer service department. Don't say you don't have any money...you're affiliated to Telus and Koodo, big telecommunication companies of Canada and customer service base salaries start at 24$ per hour...comon....

@Mojdehnasr it's been alluded to in the previous responses, but the very people that are affected by this change are people that DO have access to dialing *611 and getting help.  Community-based support isn't for everyone; you have to actually look at the product (service in this case) that you're signing up for and deicde if it's right for you, just like any other product or service you purchase or subscribe to.

wrote:

Aside from that, the phone line I have is for my 68 year old father who really only needs his phone to talk and be reached. What guarantee's me that when I switch him to Koodo, you won't make the same move and start increasing the prices too?

@Mojdehnasr nothing is ever set in stone at any provider.  One of the "benefits" of PM's pre-paid contract-free model is that you are free to leave at any time as you are only under a 30 or 90 day contract; the "downside" of that is you are not technically afforded any price protection.  Signing a post-paid contract with another provider does give you price protection on the base rate plan for the duration of the contract (usually 12 or 24 months); however, they can always raise rates on extras (e.g. the "roam like home"-like plans have been creeping up gradually at all the 1st and 2nd tier providers).

For an elderly person (not tech savvy), Public Mobile may not be a great fit.  You might want to have a look at Zoomer Wireless:  http://www.zoomerwireless.ca/plans.  While open to all, their target market is older individuals with basic needs.  Have a look at the talk (as cheap as $18/month for 60 mins) and talk+text options they offer and consider if that might meet your father's needs, while still providing access to a call centre for support.

wrote:

What customer service? There is no customer service at public mobile, there is no way to reach you guys if clients need something except this community method which is bogus to be honest. We're in 2018...every company has a direct phone number easy accessible customer service department. Don't say you don't have any money...you're affiliated to Telus and Koodo, big telecommunication companies of Canada and customer service base salaries start at 24$ per hour...comon....

Aside from that, the phone line I have is for my 68 year old father who really only needs his phone to talk and be reached. What guarantee's me that when I switch him to Koodo, you won't make the same move and start increasing the prices too?

I understand that these are the lines that bring you the less income, but this is the type of move that gives this company a bad reputation. 

Treat your clients respectfully. 

@Mojdehnasr

I don't see any disrespect here. It's been said before - Public Mobile's Koodo offer is pure goodwill, they could just raise your rate like other providers.

They have chosen this business model, we all know that it is not for everybody. If you rely on phone support it might be time to take the Koodo offer or look around for an alternative.

On the other hand, if someone is comfortable with Public Mobile's support structure, they could be saving on their monthly cell phone bill by switching to an in-market plan. You can see a list here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Effective-February-15th-changes-are-hap...

Need Help? Let's chat.