Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective April 1, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Public Mobile is continuing our evolution to an online-only brand with the goal to provide customers more choice in a clear and uncomplicated way.  Along this journey, we are making some changes. On April 1, 2017, all Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans will increase by $3 per month.

If you are not on a Legacy rate plan this increase does not apply to you.

You are considered a Legacy/ Pioneer customer if you are currently on one of the following rate plans that was available prior to January 27, 2015:

• $19 Province-Wide Talk
  • $25 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
  • $40 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $45 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $60 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

To learn more, click here.

Thanks,

Public Mobile Community team

251 REPLIES 251

TK
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good point !

How about US, and overseas long distance fees(per minute charges)

I asked a Koodo Kiosk (who claimed ported tens of PM to Koodo) about data block. They answered there is a $2/month fee.

Just a request for anyone who has ported over to Koodo (whether you are satisfied or not with your new service)

Post a scan of the service contract please

IF data block is clearly labelled on contract under plan features then there is no issue

IF there is no mention of data block then Koodo has violated the wireless code (in multiple sections, and because service is now post paid you have way more issues to remedy with them)

@Quest but this is the main problem with these super secret backroom handshake plans in the first place

Public says come online read our forums to get info

Many people did

Now Koodo is saying that despite what Public users were told, the information is incorrect and they are not allowed to switch back to Public despite information being wrong

I personally would file a CCTS complaint if this was my case, since the carrier is totally at fault here

I also will point out that NEVER was it stated anywhere the data was permanently blocked on these plans

To the contrary since it was post paid many people (including myself) assumed other data add ons as well could be added

@Quest wrote:

I want to put this subject to rest.

There wasn't such an offering by PM/Koodo in the first place.

Quotes from Koodo Forum:

I am a public mobile legacy user, I received a text that suggest me to switch to Koodo, I am also told that Koodo is offering a add-on 250MB/ month for $2 for public mobile legacy user, if they switch to Koodo, is it true?

Ranjan, Official Rep:
Hey guys, I just wanted to confirm that while indeed there is an offer for select Public customers to migrate, the $2/250mb add-on is not compatible with legacy PM plans and is not part of this offer.

Ranjan, Official Rep:
If you're on a plan that does not already include data, the add-on won't be available as data is fully blocked on those plans. You can however switch to an available Koodo plan with data is you wish.

I think that should help many Legacy Users to make up their minds.

There is a hudge misunderstanding here. Individual dealers may create some incentives but it has nothing to do with general offering by PM/Koodo. I was told don't idicate any general rules by PM/Koodo. Although they may play some games with us as long as they didn't create any official rules, they are fine.

@publicman I think you still should get this add-on if you approached them in a proper manner or they are really mean to you for some reason you don't know or not aware of.

Quest
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

...I say to Public-Mobile & Koodo:  Clearly Publish what the rules are for migrating from one to the other. Don't leave it to each individual working in a Koodo booth to "interpret" the rules as he sees fit.  State what the rules are - then users like myself can make-up their mind.   Do not change the rules after the fact...

@Quest - you stated yesterday (24-March) that some new details emerged regarding this matter. And that you could share it.   Please let us know what you found out and how it can help.

Thank You.

I want to put this subject to rest.

There wasn't such an offering by PM/Koodo in the first place.

Quotes from Koodo Forum:

I am a public mobile legacy user, I received a text that suggest me to switch to Koodo, I am also told that Koodo is offering a add-on 250MB/ month for $2 for public mobile legacy user, if they switch to Koodo, is it true?

Ranjan, Official Rep:
Hey guys, I just wanted to confirm that while indeed there is an offer for select Public customers to migrate, the $2/250mb add-on is not compatible with legacy PM plans and is not part of this offer.

Ranjan, Official Rep:
If you're on a plan that does not already include data, the add-on won't be available as data is fully blocked on those plans. You can however switch to an available Koodo plan with data is you wish.

I think that should help many Legacy Users to make up their minds.

There is a hudge misunderstanding here. Individual dealers may create some incentives but it has nothing to do with general offering by PM/Koodo. I was told don't idicate any general rules by PM/Koodo. Although they may play some games with us as long as they didn't create any official rules, they are fine.

@publicman I think you still should get this add-on if you approached them in a proper manner or they are really mean to you for some reason you don't know or not aware of.

publicman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Quest- in reply to your post from last Saturday 2017-3-18:

Sorry for late reply.

One of main reasons I switched to Koodo is specifically because I was able to get the "250MB data @$2" add-on.   I figured if I stay with Public, my $25 plan (unlimited talk & text) will go up to $28.   If I switch/migrate to Koodo, I will keep paying $25 + $2 for 250Mb add-on, so $27 total.   A bit cheaper and I have some Data.   This would make up for some of the drawbacks of swithing.   One of the main disadvantage when you move this plan to Koodo is you can't use the PM add-on "1GB Data @$30" which never expires (until you use-up all your 1Gb data).

There are also a number of other disadvantages to switching the Legacy $25 plan to Koodo.  Especially the fact that international calls are not blocked anymore,  neither are USA calls, you can't (as per above) keep using any of the former add-ons, etc...

But personally, I figured the advantage was that I could put the "250MB data @$2 add-on" for each line.  Now Koodo says we can't use it.

As mentioned in previous posts, it has been very frustrating dealing with both Public & Koodo, since I get a different story from each person.     The point is that I switched based on the fact that a Koodo employee said yes you can add the 250mb Data add-on when I ported my Legacy plan.    And now that it doesn't work, another employee says they can't help.

I say to Public-Mobile & Koodo:  Clearly Publish what the rules are for migrating from one to the other. Don't leave it to each individual working in a Koodo booth to "interpret" the rules as he sees fit.  State what the rules are - then users like myself can make-up their mind.   Do not change the rules after the fact.

@quest - you stated yesterday (24-March) that some new details emerged regarding this matter. And that you could share it.   Please let us know what you found out and how it can help.

Thank You.

Quest

@publicman wrote:

Quest:

...It is extremely frustrating to have different employees give different & contradicting information to customers.  I have spent so much time getting all details and doing the transfer of the Legacy PM plans to Koodo, I'm just fed-up...

Its not fair that Telus/Koodo/Public-Mobile lets clients solve their own problems and we (the customers) have to rely on each other to prove to them that certain things can be done. And how to do it.

Thank You in advance for your help.  Much appreciated.

@publicman I wonder if you solved your problem? I know that some new details emerged regarding this matter. If you and other members of this community are interested I can share it in the next post.

Quest

@chakri264 wrote:

I don't think they will be unhappy as they are receiving service worth much more than that 3 dollars....

Can you clarify this part of your post ?

You mean that they won't be unhappy with Koodo, if I undersood correctely.

swz5005

Wish I was part of the Legacy plan still

chakri264

I don't think they will be unhappy as they are receiving service worth much more than that 3 dollars.I was a legacy customer once. I was on $40 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data plan. Once PM announced the province-wide plan for $40 province-Wide Talk + Text + 2GB Data I switched and I was happy. I am even happier as PM gave 4GB data for the same price. Refer a friend, Loyalty, Autopay and community rewards brought my plan cost down to 28 CAD a month. As such legacy customers, can move to current plans and take advantage of these discounts. PM never ceases to amaze its customer.

fanfan

Ummmmmmm PM.......don't get any bright ideas and think about increasing the $40 4gb plan in 2018. That would seriously not be cool.

@Quest things like that normally show up in your online Koodo portal (eg I have a $0 option for making toll free calls while in USA grandfathered)

If there is a data block (first I ever heard of this, since Koodo always says PPU data) he should be able to see and cancel this feature in his self serve account

Quest

I want to be clear here this is not their obligation to give this add-on to former PM users because you cannot find any reference to that on Koodo or PM website and we are not obliged to switch to Koodo either if this is the deal breaker for some.

First of all this Data Block add-on is only for hour protection and has nothing to do with matching our plan. So their argument is disingeuine. If they don't want to remove it they should say it upfront so people won't purchase data.

We never had our data blocked on PM we still could buy data add-ons.

It is like some people argue that call-forwarding is part of PM package but Koodo may argue this data add-on is not a part of hour plan.

In my son's account is nothing special. It is how much it will cost him every month, obviously the same like on PM without hike, plus $2 250MB data add-on and nothing else. No special formula.

Unless many more people come up on this forum with the same problem we cannot deny or confirm it. Or someone will make some official announcement like on Koodo forum.

They can unblock it definitely but it is up to them.

I am curious why you switched to Koodo in the first place?

publicman

Quest:

Yes, when I went to Koodo store, they transferred my $25 Plan (Text and Talk Unlimited Canada Wide).  The guy at the Koodo store said that by default they put a "Data block",  so that the plan is similar to what I had at Public.  This "Data Block" is normally a $2 option, but for Legacy Public users it is free so its a "$0 "Data Block". So far so good.

Then the Koodo employee added the "Data 250MB $2"  add-on to my account.  But it didn't work.

I brought-up this problem in a Koodo Community blog, and the response from Koodo is that the $25 plan can't be changed....  That is it.  Can't change it.   Regardless of the fact that various blogs state that this option can be added for Legacy plans,  regardless that some Koodo employees will mention that it works, regardless that Koodo tries to sell you this option, etc... they now say they can't change my plan!

But if it works for you/your son, then obviously you have the proper settings & formula in your account.

Very frustrating dealing with Koodo.

Would it be possible for you to post or email me a screen-shot of your account settings?
When I login Koodo account, I click on View rate plan and it display a page where it says at top "Your current plan". You click the down-arrow and it shows all your options & add-ons.  This is what I need to show Koodo.

If you/your son could do this, it would be very much appreciated.  It seems it would be the only way for me to show & prove to Koodo that it can be done.

It is extremely frustrating to have different employees give different & contradicting information to customers.  I have spent so much time getting all details and doing the transfer of the Legacy PM plans to Koodo, I'm just fed-up...

Its not fair that Telus/Koodo/Public-Mobile lets clients solve their own problems and we (the customers) have to rely on each other to prove to them that certain things can be done. And how to do it.

Thank You in advance for your help.  Much appreciated.

yd

Quest

OK, let me clarify few things here.

When you were Public Mobile user before migration you had a $25 Plan Text and Talk Unlimited Canada Wide. You had also option to purchase according to your needs some add-ons for example $30 1GB Data. When you migrated to Koodo as a Text and Talk customer you migrated also to post paid plan. It means that if you accidentally would use your data you will be charged pay per use. So they added some kind of add-on that normally would cost I believe $5 to protect PM customers from using data but allowing to send MMS And that is good for those that want to be protected.

So the argument here is that you don't need that Data Protection because you want to use $2 250MB add-on as a substitute for PM data add-on. The reason you used data add-on is because you use very little data.

And that is the reason you want them to remove that data protection.

This add-on shouldn't be the only reason why people migrate to Koodo it should be treated as an incentive for those that already used data on PM.

In most cases if you nicely explain them what is your problem they will offer you this $2 add-on as a incentive for switching to them.

publicman

I know 250mb Data add-on is avail in ON & QC.  That is not an issue.   The phone is not issue either.  Data works fine on the phones we tried, but they don't work on Koodo.   And we did go to a corporate store to do the transfer.   None of these items are the issue.

I know it is a setting in the Koodo account.  Koodo says that it won't work, because we transferred from Public.  But if it is working for you (or your son), then it obviously can be done.

What do you mean by "remove overage protection" from the account?

Thanks for your offer to do in person - maybe if you feel like a few drinks one afternoon... (smile).

You might also have seen one of my replies to another discussion, let me know about that.
Thanks.

Quest

Unfortunately I am from Toronto. If I live in Montreal I would go with you personally and help you to solve it.

First of all you have to be sure that Quebec has the same deal as Ontario. Someone on this forum has mentioned that each province may have different options to choose but that is not confirmed. Then you have to be sure that your phone is compatible. Go to Corporate Store not an Authorized Dealer that is important.

You have to ask them to remove overage protection from your plan because your data won't work.

Please let me know what has happen after that.

publicman

Thanks for the "early" reply (you're a real morning man) (smile..).

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located? Is your son on Legacy $25 unlimited talk & text? And which Koodo store did you/your son do the transfer?
We are in Montreal, east-end.

We did transfer to Koodo about 10-days ago, and Data still does not work. And we have now been told by Koodo that it will not work, that this option must be removed.

One thing is certain, this transition/migration from Public to Koodo has been a royal pain-in-the-bu... I have been to different Koodo locations, spoken to various reps, talked to diff agents, posted on various blogs,... and received different answers from just about every person I have dealt with.

As far as I am concerned, this migration has been a disaster. If you dare ask more than one question, they are all confused. One person will say its red, another say its blue, another its green, etc... When you confront them and tell them the other Koodo employee says its purple, yet you say its orange - now they reply that it is both, it is actually striped purple & orange!

Unbelievable...

We added the 250mb Data @$2 add-on at the time of line transfer. But still does not work. I will need to ask a few more things from you (if you don't mind). Maybe you & me will be able to find out how to get Koodo to fix my problem, since it seems no Koodo employee is able to do this....

Thanks for your time.

Quest
Sorry, I couldn't reply earlier.

So far my son switched with my assistance and everything went smoothly. I am still undecided.

Regarding this 250 add-on there wasn't any problem. Data is working perfectly. In fact in one of my other posts I explained what to tell sales person in order not to have problem with data add-on.

publicman

Hi Quest.  Few questions:

1)  Did you switch/migrate any lines from Public Mobile to Koodo (on current legacy offer)?

2) Which plan did you have with Public  eg. $25 unlimited talk & text, etc...?

3) When you migrated, did you get the Data add-on 250mb for $2?   And if so, does it work properly?

Curious if any other user has added the "Data 250mb for $2 add-on" when they migrated to Koodo, would like to know if data works well?

Thanks.

Quest

@jmagoo wrote:
It would be nice if the fee raise would be combined with a promo, so that legacy customers wouldn't feel squeezed out of our grandfathered plans, just think it's unfair. Luckily I got the 40$ 90 day plan last November.

That wouldn't be a bad idea but, how many users will give up their grandfathered plans is another question.This community forum is like a constant survey and referendum. If something generate great interest it can bring definitely Public Mobile's attention.

jmagoo
It would be nice if the fee raise would be combined with a promo, so that legacy customers wouldn't feel squeezed out of our grandfathered plans, just think it's unfair. Luckily I got the 40$ 90 day plan last November.

Quest

@commonsens wrote:

SO...if everyone jumps off the bridge, you do it too....

Can you explain what you exactly mean by your comment?

Quest

When you switch to Koodo you sign some kind of agreement with them. Although agreement sounds a little bit confusing it basically means that if you suspended your service and cameback again you cannot have the same plan because it doesn’t exist as an offer from Koodo anymore.

With Koodo you are on post-paid plan it means you have to be a little bit careful how you using your phone you could be charge extra for many things.

If you want to send photos with your text messages (MMS – Multimedia Messaging Service) you need this add-on but it shouldn’t consume your data. Data is used only to allow you to send images or even short videos in some cases.

@Someone_here as far as I know there is no wasy to pause your plan on Koodo

There also is no way to restrict accidental use

Those are features only Public has

@Quest wrote:
By any means I'm not encouraging or discouraging anyone to switch to Koodo but if you use very little data Koodo has one time offer fo Public Mobile users to get add-on 250 MB per month for $2. It is one time offer if you add it then give it up you cannot do it again. It expires every month.

Thanks! It might be interesting, to get some data for approximately the same price (PM $25+3 vs Koodo $25+2+0.46)... Well maybe...

Two questions I am not sure about...

1) If I would take that offer, would sending a text message with a photo use the add-on?
2) It was discussed, but I am not sure, is it possible with Koodo to "pause" your post-paid plan (I mean to stop service for one, two or three months without paying and then resume with the same plan)?

Quest
By any means I'm not encouraging or discouraging anyone to switch to Koodo but if you use very little data Koodo has one time offer fo Public Mobile users to get add-on 250 MB per month for $2. It is one time offer if you add it then give it up you cannot do it again. It expires every month.

dcasa
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@devouges wrote:

I usually biy 1gig data for 30$ and it lasts 8-12 months.  Cannot do that with koodo.

This. I was considering the Koodo offer but this is a total deal breaker for me as well. Thanks for the heads-up.

@commonsens

The old Public Mobile plan used to be $15

They had a $4 increase to $19

Now a $3 increase to $22

Although quite honestly if you really only make 3 calls per month, why not sign up for Koodo prepaid? 

$5 for 25 minutes, $10 for 100 minutes or $25 for 500 minutes

Minutes never expire so chances are you will pay alot less per month

They even have a free promo on now for a free 100 minutes if you register a credit/debit card

@commonsens wrote:

many years on the 19$ plan...

SOME may think am not paying much but what they fail to see is that am not using it much as I probably make 2 or 3 phone call per month with this phone and receive about the same. (no text at all).

so paying 19$ plus taxes to get 6 phone calls per months......AM the one who pays the most.

@commonsens wrote:

From an 19$ unlimited talk (no text) with PM, in order to get the same "talk", we will now have to pay 35$?Months with Koodo!

https://www.koodomobile.com/rate-plans

so the 3$ increase claimed by PM, is pretty much false as we actually gets a 200% increase in fees with their "sister" (which is basically the same company)

You are wrong here... your choices are:

1) Stay with PM and pay $19 + $3 = $22 + txs pre-paid
2) Switch to Koodo as a PM legacy customer (hence not choosing the plans offered online) and pay $19 + 911 fees (depending on provinces, likely around $0.46 as state by someone else in this thread) = $19,46 + txs post-paid.
3) Go with Koodo's $35 (or any other company's plans, including PM's) if you like.

Need Help? Let's chat.