Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Effective April 1, changes are happening to Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Public Mobile is continuing our evolution to an online-only brand with the goal to provide customers more choice in a clear and uncomplicated way.  Along this journey, we are making some changes. On April 1, 2017, all Legacy/ Pioneer rate plans will increase by $3 per month.

If you are not on a Legacy rate plan this increase does not apply to you.

You are considered a Legacy/ Pioneer customer if you are currently on one of the following rate plans that was available prior to January 27, 2015:

• $19 Province-Wide Talk
  • $25 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
  • $40 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $45 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
  • $60 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

To learn more, click here.

Thanks,

Public Mobile Community team

251 REPLIES 251

SD08
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@bertasteph wrote:

How do you know if you're on a Legacy/Pioneer rate plan?

As moderator Brooke_C indicated in the original post, any of the listed plans that were available prior to January 27, 2015, are Legacy plans:
    $19 Province-Wide Talk
    $25 Canada-Wide Talk + Text
    $40 Canada-Wide Talk + Text + 1GB Data
    $45 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 1GB Data
    $60 Canadian & U.S. Talk + Text + 2GB Data

humonculi
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

you're not paying an overprice plan. That's how you know

@bertasteph wrote:

bertasteph
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@TheOldVR wrote:

@will13am wrote:

Seeing that this direction has gone in all sorts of directions and people are discussing terms of service and what Public Mobile can or can't do when it comes to price increases.  When I saw this announcement, I immediately looked beyond the intended audience and started to wonder when are the non legacy customers going to be hit with price increases.  I am loyal to my wallet first, everything else a distant second.

@will13am I'm not as concerned as you regarding price increases for us as I'm sure at some point PM will need to review their profitability to ensure they are paying their fair share of the mothership's bills while being profitable. I could see them reworking the additional discounts we receive. With that said, other than the promo, PM is not leading the race to the cheapest pricing around which leads me to believe that we'll be okay for a while.

I am more concerned that the root causes of the service issues experienced during the last promo have not been addressed.... something that PM needs to be gently reminded about until changes happen.

Happy Friday Y'all.... 

To be honest, I thought the promo experience was pretty good overall.  The self serve portal is quirky to say the least, but with a bit of care, it is by and large navigable.  Although nobody is willing to admit it, there was a huge dose of user error involved.

I am concerned about the potential "yearly" price increase that are typical of the major brands.  As a past Wind customer, one of the redeeming qualities of the service was the grandfathered plans being truly grandfathered.  While network performance was variable to say the least, the one constant in the Wind universe was the plan pricing.  I hope to see the same price stability here at Public Mobile. 

TheOldVR
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@will13am wrote:

Seeing that this direction has gone in all sorts of directions and people are discussing terms of service and what Public Mobile can or can't do when it comes to price increases.  When I saw this announcement, I immediately looked beyond the intended audience and started to wonder when are the non legacy customers going to be hit with price increases.  I am loyal to my wallet first, everything else a distant second.

@will13am I'm not as concerned as you regarding price increases for us as I'm sure at some point PM will need to review their profitability to ensure they are paying their fair share of the mothership's bills while being profitable. I could see them reworking the additional discounts we receive. With that said, other than the promo, PM is not leading the race to the cheapest pricing around which leads me to believe that we'll be okay for a while.

I am more concerned that the root causes of the service issues experienced during the last promo have not been addressed.... something that PM needs to be gently reminded about until changes happen.

Happy Friday Y'all.... 

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mirian1234 wrote:

"m very disappointed about this service.
My sister closed this account (telephone 438-xxxxxxx5) in November 2016 and the reimbursement for her $59.00 was never ...made in her account. Now the account visa is closed and today we spoke with Mr. Rafael (employee number 14xxxx0) and says that HIS SUPERVISOR says the only way to get the amount is ONLY in the credit card that is closed.
The SUPERVISOR DIDN'T WANT TO SPEAK WITH US, says it's politic no speak with customers..... IS IT A JOKE?
The employee that received the information in November did not do his job properly and they have to find another solution for us.
We now emphatically demand a check by mail to my sister as soon as possible.
I'm very disappointed with this company.

One of the main reasons companies only process refunds to the same credit card that was originally charged has to do with the fact that if a refund is issued using another methond, a customer could potentially have a charge reversed/chargedback and receive a double refund.

I'm almost willing to wager that your refund can still be processed to your cancelled credit card.  Credit card numbers don't get re-used, and the credit card issuer can just stop the ability for someone to make new purchases.  I actually lost a credit card before and accidently aplied a payment to the cancelled card number.  The payment processed as normal.  If Public is able to refund your cancelled Visa, you would have a balance owing from your credit issuer.  The credit card issuer would be able to send you a refund cheque upon request.

Subbanator96
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Knew it was coming 😞 oh well.

@humonculi why do you think that cellco should be price protected? The fact that they are forced to not increase prices while on contract is the exception, not the norm.

So long as they notify you (which is why I was asking Brooke how notices are being sent)

I'd even point out that despite you signing up to Public Mobile back in the day, Public really no longer exists. Sure Telus kept the name, but different company now.

The Competition Bureau told Telus when they took over they MUST price protect for 12 months (only). This was 3 years ago. If they change plans today it is totally legal.

Look at satelite, cable, or dsl/fibe to see some real treachery. Sign a contract for $X per month, then 3 months in they increase prices. If you cancel they charge you a penalty. How is that fair?

Shutdown
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

If it weren't legal then CRTC would be on them, but they are not so I doubt it.

humonculi
And to reply to your answer. It's not because they do something that they can legally do it. I could drive 250km/h in a school zone, I'm legally not allowed. And if no one ever steps up because people think everything we do is legal because we're a big company, well we'll keep doing it no problem

@imm1304 I'm skeptical they bypass totally, as once on Koodo they can do upgrade at any time with no further check

Plus overages. All it takes is one clueless Public client thinking how Public never charges extra using US roaming and getting a $10,000 bill

imm1304
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Thanks @kav2001c and @makkahn28 for elaborating on why one may not want to migrate to Koodo.  

I forgot to consider the prepaid vs postpaid scenario too.. thats a significant difference unless PM has worked out an understanding to pre-approve everyone migrating to Koodo and only do a credit check if going on a tab agreement. 

@humonculi same thing happened with Mobilicity. Many old plans had different terms. Problem is once the *law* changed, those old contracts became invalid.

Even if Public said something in past they do not have to honour it today

There are no additional fees on Koodo. What the tab is actually doing is an interest free loan. Koodo takes the price of the phone (eg $360) then divides it by 24 months ($15) 

That extra $15 you pay every month is simply repaying the value of the phone.

Any place I have been and done a return  at a retail store or anything and purchased with a card be it a credit card or debit card, the refund has always had to be on the card that it was purchased with.  Even though my wife and I have joint accounts it had to be my card.  I don't think it is unfair for PM to be doing the same

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Mirian1234

First at all, nobody told me that it takes too long waiting... 90 DAYS? WOW.

Second if we closed the account is for personal reason.

Strangely today Mr. Rafael told me it takes only 25 working days.... So?

humonculi

Koodo does have an additionnal fee for a cellphone depriciation. This is actually what legally protects both parties as to wether or not they can change their prices. the terms and conditions to which us with the legacy plans agreed to aren't the same as the new plans. Again I might be wrong, but I was promised by the public mobile sales rep at the time that the price could not be changed unless i did the modifications myself.

@Mirian1234 this is pretty normal as well, many carriers do not have supervisors on phone lines

Why would you close the credit card if you were waiting a refund though? Refunds usually take up to 90 days so from Nov (Dec - Jan - Feb)???

@Mirian1234 wrote:

I"m very disappointed about this service.
My sister closed this account (telephone 4x8xxxxxxxx5) in November 2016 and the reimbursement for her $59.00 was never ...made in her account. Now the account visa is closed and today we spoke with Mr. Rafael (employee number 14xxx) and says that HIS SUPERVISOR says the only way to get the amount is ONLY in the credit card that is closed.
The SUPERVISOR DIDN'T WANT TO SPEAK WITH US, says it's politic no speak with customers..... IS IT A JOKE?
The employee that received the information in November did not do his job properly and they have to find another solution for us.

@humonculi

#1 - Public also can change plans with 30 day notices. They have lots of times in the past done this. (eg $15 plans, Siren plans, unlimited data plans, unlimited international calling plans)

The idea they would waste the time migrating you to Koodo simply to make changing plan easier is just wrong

#2 - Koodo has no contract, as well they have no "$15 to $18 per month fees".

The Tab Small is $7, Tab Medium is $15, Tab Large is $21 IF you want to get a phone. If not you never pay this fee.

So no I would not be worried and any carrier can do increases (in fact all have)

humonculi

No problem friend, I've been, in a polite way, Fudged by virgin mobile in 2015 (after bell purchased them) I had an amazing plan unlimited everything (yes unlimited DATA) for 40$ a month. They decided to simply say'' well you're a minorité so we are cancelling the plan you have because it's an old plan. We don't have a contract so we can do what we want. I'm simply not going to let another big compagny buy a small one and start screwing the first customer who supported that company because the network was not as good as it is now.

TheOldVR

@Shazia_K and Mods... Looks like I've stepped in to something and somewhere where I don't belong.

Sorry if I made it worse!

Mirian1234

"m very disappointed about this service.
My sister closed this account (telephone 438-xxxxxxx5) in November 2016 and the reimbursement for her $59.00 was never ...made in her account. Now the account visa is closed and today we spoke with Mr. Rafael (employee number 14xxxx0) and says that HIS SUPERVISOR says the only way to get the amount is ONLY in the credit card that is closed.

TheOldVR

@humonculi... sorry mate, didn't mean to cause grief. I come from the Rogers world which makes what you are describing and what I have experenced here... well, kinda like heaven.

I hope you are able to find a solution that meets your needs....

Peace!

Mirian1234

I"m very disappointed about this service.
My sister closed this account (telephone 4x8xxxxxxxx5) in November 2016 and the reimbursement for her $59.00 was never ...made in her account. Now the account visa is closed and today we spoke with Mr. Rafael (employee number 14xxx) and says that HIS SUPERVISOR says the only way to get the amount is ONLY in the credit card that is closed.

humonculi

Unfortunatly you don't seem to be able to comprehend the severety of the issue. I'm pretty sure if public mobile told us that they would be stopping phone service i dont think a lot of people would mind. The problem is we are being bullied into forfeiting our rights. Once we decide to go with koodo, we're going to be presented with 2 choices

1- Keep our plans with the current rates with BYOD. In this situation, Koodo will be able to, with a 30 day notice, change our plans and prices or remove ours plans completely and kick us out.

2- Bind us with a contract in order to protect our plans and by doing so adding an additionnal fee (15-18$ a month) for a phone and now accepting new terms and conditions in which we agree to the annual price hikes.

So please tell me if you were in our position, wouldn't you be worried?

TheOldVR

@swz5005 wrote:

Some how I see some people are going to be un-happy, but it make sense as company need to adjust rate due to inflation and other stuff....

^^ What he said...

@swz5005 agreed.

thobtech
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, 

I want to activate my account that is suspended but before I do that I want to change the Canada-US talk to Canada wide instead and keep the rest as it is. 

Can you help me please?

Thanks.

humonculi

Here's what I've found

Grandfathered Plans HAVE The following:

*611/1-855-4Public Call Centre Assistance

Guaranteed *Exclusive Price

Global Text

& The Community, Email away and private messaging a PM Moderator Team Rep

LINK:

http://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Plans-Add-Ons/Grandfathered-vs-New-Plans/td-p/11359

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

@Brooke_C question regarding this change

There are other posters (on the blue message board) all saying they had no idea about price changes

How is Public communicating this increase to members not on our community?

I would assume they still require 30 days notice right?

@canucks4life Yes

@canucks4life wrote:

Kind of off topic but does anyone know if Intl/overseas roaming works on Koodo?

Need Help? Let's chat.