cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada’s Alert Ready + Test Alert Schedules

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Update: To view the alert schedule for your province or territory please click here

Hey Community,

We wanted to let you know about an upcoming SMS you will receive regarding Alert Ready. Alert Ready will broadcast emergency alerts to inform you of critical or potentially life-threatening situations that require immediate attention to keep you and your family safe. As of April 6, 2018, Canada’s Alert Ready service will be available to compatible mobile devices. To learn more about the Alert Ready service and what devices are supported, visit alertready.ca.

-Public Mobile Community Team

180 REPLIES 180

MikeRaff
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

No notification on iPhone X.

dunsdool
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I also didn't receive an alert to my phone. OG Pixel XL

cody
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I didn't get it either. Public Mobile is not ready yet?

@rwboydyour device may not have been supported?

rwboyd

@CS_Agent Why did I not receive the emergency Alert ? (Ontario got them at 13:55 today..) Everyone's phone / tablet / radio went off except mine.. 

denkom
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Anyone else notice the testing time in British Columbia for December 19th is at 1:55AM? Lol Smiley LOL

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Thanks for the heads up and providig the link, appreciate it.

@bahram wrote:

wanna transfer my numbers but doesn,t work enven i did active in public mobile sim but fido costumer service said the public mobile service should to request submmitt to us then number wiil be transfer so please submmitt  my both nubers please otherwise refund my all money refund to me .thanks

It won't help to post again and again the same message... Have you read my answer?

@Korththe annoyance for most is when something is inexplicably moved from one submenu to another

Android is a mess with things like that

@Korth wrote:

I enjoy going through every menu and submenu and option and setting.  It's how I learn all the basic capabilities and limits (and options) on any new platform.

Although I do understand (intellectually, at least) that other people find such systematic explorations tedious.  Congratz on your successful hunting trip, lol.

bahram

wanna transfer my numbers 514 81****** and 514 ****** but doesn,t work enven i did active in public mobile sim but fido costumer service said the public mobile service should to request submmitt to us then number wiil be transfer so please submmitt  my both nubers please otherwise refund my all money refund to me .thanks

@bahram wrote:

i wanna transfer my numbers but doesn,t work enven i did active in public mobile sim but fido costumer service said the public mobile service should to request submmitt to us then number wiil be transfer so please submmitt  my both nubers please otherwise refund my all money refund to me .thanks

Not the good topic to get help on this subject... 

And, don't post personnal information on this public board, only send personnal information by private message to the moderators.

However:

1) IMPORTANT: Do not close your Fido accounts

2) I understand you have an active Public Mobile account. Then log-in your self-serve and click:

"Plan and Add-ons", then

"Change Phone Number", then

"Transfer a wireless or wireline number from Public Mobile or another provider", then

Enter your Fido #, as well as all requested information related to your Fido account.

If this diesn't work, contact the moderators by sending them a private message.

bahram

i wanna transfer my numbers 514 8158200 and 514 9693415 but doesn,t work enven i did active in public mobile sim but fido costumer service said the public mobile service should to request submmitt to us then number wiil be transfer so please submmitt  my both nubers please otherwise refund my all money refund to me .thanks

Dipole_Moment

I hope we get an alert when Skynet (Google) becomes self-aware.

@Korth wrote:

I enjoy going through every menu and submenu and option and setting.  It's how I learn all the basic capabilities and limits (and options) on any new platform.

I do too, really! 😉

However that one stayed hidden from me - or maybe I saw it when I first got my phone and then completely forgot about it!

Although I do understand (intellectually, at least) that other people find such systematic explorations tedious.  Congratz on your successful hunting trip, lol.

@Korth thanks, just found how to access it! You *really* have to look for it though...

Stock SMS app > Settings (three dots) > Settings > Advanced > Wireless alerts (this opens the app "Emergency alerts", which I can't find how to go to directly) > Settings (three dots) > Settings

Easy, wasn't it? (!)

(the exact wording might be a little different on your phone, since I'm translating it in English)

@Someone_here

Emergency Alert/Notification Settings are apparently a standard feature with Android 6.0 (Marshmallow), Android 7.1 (Nougat), and other Android versions on some Samsung phones.

https://www.androidcentral.com/amber-alerts-and-android-what-you-need-know

https://drfone.wondershare.com/android/emergency-alerts.html

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-turn-off-emergency-alerts-on-your-phone/

The Signal SMS app I use also has specific settings for SMS, SMS-CB (Cellular Broadcast = Emergency Alert), SMS-Flash, and SMS-Silent ... these protocols usually don't use the SMS service but they do use the SMS app.  I'm guessing that other SMS apps might offer their own settings (I've just read that Textra doesn't, yet, but they're working on adding the option).

@Stormy wrote:

Sorry for the late response. That is from a Moto G5 which runs as close to vanilla Android as you can get without buying a Google phone. It is also on 7.0 at the moment.

If you can't find it doing a search of Settings (typing in emergency finds it for me), it is possible it is blocked/removed by the phone manufacturer. I just checked my daughter's ZTE Axion 7 Mini and it doesn't find it regardless of what word(s) are used to search for it.

For what it is worth my last Android phone (was using a Windows phone for the last 2.5 years) was the original Moto G, and it also had the emegency alerts settings.

Weird, I got a Moto G5 with 7.0 and I can't find it... 

jp2

These are the next test dates

Alberta May 9, 2018 @ 13:55

Ontario May 7, 2018 @ 13:55

BC May 9, 2018 @ 13:55

Manitoba May 9, 2018 @ 13:55

New Brunswick May 9, 2018 @ 18:55

N&L May 9, 2018 @ 13:55

Nova Scotia May 9, 2018 @ 13:55

PEI May 9, 2018 @ 13:55

Qubec May 7, 2018 @ 09:55

Saskatewan May 9, 2018 @ 13:55

NW territories May 9, 2018 @ 13:55

Nunsvut no test scheduled 

Yukon no test scheduled 

crazycolby
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Good to know, thx

steveinvictoria

Back in January, we had a tsunami scare here on Vancouver Island.  

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/many-in-greater-victoria-headed-for-high-ground-when-warning...  Warning folks was very 'hit or miss'.  Some folks in the potential flood plain were warned -- many others were not and slept peacefully through all the excitment.

Islanders are a bit gun shy about tsunamis, given the damage in Port Alberni back in '64 (http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/port-alberni-woman-recalls-fleeing-1964-tsunami-in-rowboat-a...).

I sure won't mind an accasional false alarm, if I'm warned in time that something like this is on the way...!

My personal opinion: everyone is blowing this way out of proportion. Alerts for actual life-threatening emergencies will be mandatory. Events like mass shootings, wildfires similar to Fort McMurray, etc.

Amber alerts, extreme cold/heat weather alerts, and other comparatively "minor" alerts may be opted out by the operator or individual subscriber.

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@acmethodwrote:

I can't remember the last time i saw and alert on TV or heard an alert on the radio for anything. I'm trying to think back... 

I guess i'm blessed living in Canada.

Think amber alerts, tornado alerts, flash floods, wild animal, air quality alert, etc. 

torontokris
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I can see these going off at 5pm rush hour (let's say tornado warning) and all drivers stopping to look at their phone then panicking... Or could you imagine on public transit.

"When an alert is heard, it is the responsibility of the public to stop, listen and respond as directed by the issuing authority and the alert message"

acmethod

I can't remember the last time i saw and alert on TV or heard an alert on the radio for anything. I'm trying to think back... 

I guess i'm blessed living in Canada.

Stormy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Sorry for the late response. That is from a Moto G5 which runs as close to vanilla Android as you can get without buying a Google phone. It is also on 7.0 at the moment.

If you can't find it doing a search of Settings (typing in emergency finds it for me), it is possible it is blocked/removed by the phone manufacturer. I just checked my daughter's ZTE Axion 7 Mini and it doesn't find it regardless of what word(s) are used to search for it.

For what it is worth my last Android phone (was using a Windows phone for the last 2.5 years) was the original Moto G, and it also had the emegency alerts settings.

dna2016

@Brooke_C thanks for the notice, I'll definitely keep an eye out for any SMS as you mentioned.  

@mimmo maybe menu only shows up if phone supports it then?

I do not see anything even close to what other had posted

Yeah I had tried search first which is why I asked @sheytoon since he usually has alot of tech knowledge for stuff like that

I don't have any more updates so Android 7.0 on one phone (& the old one which was stuck on 4.4 but that one is really just a remote for the TV)

fsm7268

thanks for letting us know! Great info!

fsm7268

Need Help? Let's chat.