cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big News: We just launched even better rate plans!

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

We’ve got great news!  We listened to your feedback on our pricing and plan options and are excited to announce that we are launching new plan options today!

We encourage you to check out the new plan options here or at publicmobile.ca/selfserve to understand which plan best meets your needs and so you receive the biggest bang for your buck. Below is a summary of some of the major changes.

We are saying hello to:

• 2GB on a 30 day plan - We know this has been something all of you have been pushing for!
  • 3GB on a 90 day plan - We wanted to simplify the data options so we have removed the 1 GB and 4GB options and added a 3GB option for 90 days.

We are saying goodbye to:

• Canada Wide Text - Global text will be the only text option going forward.
  • 1GB and 4GB on a 90 day plan
  • 6GB on a 30 day plan - Very few customers were taking advantage of this plan.

With this pricing change, we want to leverage the new pricing of the 6GB, unlimited province-wide talk and unlimited global text (now $120), to showcase this awesome plan:

CommunityPostPricingPromov3.jpg

We think that this plan will be a home-run, worthy of a Bautista bat flip!

Most plans are either cheaper or have more for the same price, but a few plans will be more expensive. If you like what you see, you can go ahead and make changes to your current plan.  But don’t worry – if you want to keep your current plan as-is, you will be able to do so.  No problem.

Below we have a list of FAQs. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

A huge thanks to all of you who took the time to give us your feedback. We are constantly incorporating your ideas to make Public Mobile better for everyone.

Public Mobile Community team 

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What happens if I sign up for a more expensive plan right before the rate plan options change? Am I able to change my plan without a penalty?

Customers who are on a 90 day plan and have used less than 45 days of service will be able to have their plan changed or credited. The chart below outlines a couple of scenarios and how Public Mobile will assist you so that you receive the best value for your money.

Scenario

Action

You are on a 90-day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

If you have used less than 45 days of service, we can either: (1) credit you the difference between your existing rate and the new rate for a plan with the same options or (2) update your existing plan to the new suite of plans. If you take advantage of the credit, it will be one time only. After then, you are expected to update your plan options to the one that best meets your needs.

Be sure to take action quickly if you want to take advantage of the new plan options.

If you have used more than 45 days of service, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you have used more than half of your existing plan.

That being said, you are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 30 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

Sorry, since you are on a short term plan we won’t be able to credit or change your rate plan.

You are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 10 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

As with the 30 day plan, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you are on a short term plan.

You can future date your plan for the next billing cycle.

You update your plan options, but then realize you would like to go back to your old plan

You won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after moving to the new suite of plan options. Be sure that you want to switch before you do!

1. Am I able to keep my current plan if I am happy with it?

Yes! You will be able to keep your existing plan. If you later decide you would like to take advantage of the new rate plan options, then just log in to publicmobile.ca/selfserve. However, you won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after renewing with the new rate plan options.

1. Why has the Canada-wide text option been removed?

The option has been removed in order to simplify the plan experience for customers. We also want to provide customers with the peace of mind that, while you are in Canada, you will be able to receive and send text messages from all over the world. @srlawren recently shared an improvement idea on our Public Lab saying that we should allow iMessaging confirmation texts to go through regardless of your text plan. This idea stemmed from the fact that some Canada-wide text plan customers weren’t receiving text messages from companies like Apple, who send messages from various locations around the world, notifying you to turn on your iMessage. With a global text option, you will no longer have to worry about this problem!

1. Why isn’t there a plan for heavy data users?

We think our sweet spot is medium data users, which is why the largest data plan is 12GB for 90 day customers and 4GB for 30 day customers. This is something that we will continue to re-evaluate based on your feedback.

Feel free to post any of your questions here, and we will be sure to get back to you. 

261 REPLIES 261

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@akung yes, just be aware that a new tone was set for promo plans with the recent Freedom Mobile-targetted promotion, which was only being offered to people porting in a phone number from Freedom Mobile at the time of activation.  This recent promo plan bucked the previous norm of always being availble to anyone, including existing customers or people coming in from any other carrier.

From this recent history, we definitely cannot say that you will be able to do this type of scheduling a plan change to a promo plan, as you are talking about, and as was always an option in the past.  For at least some of any upcoming promotional plans, I think we can expect that they will have limited availability.  Some could still be open to existing customers, but maybe not all.  We don't know, and weren't really told either way when the community oracles asked PM about this recently.  We got a fairly "political" answer, which basically boiled down to they will do what they think is required to remain competitive, and that it could be a mixture of different promotions at different times, depending on market conditions and offerings from competitors.   

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

akung
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@srlawren @imm1304 Thank you for your prompt replies. 

Too bad that exception period is over, although it is good to learn that it is possible to future date a plan change in order to jump onto a promotion. 

I ask all this because I was just starting to seriously consider switching over to PM from a grandfathered rogers unlimited talk+text plan for $20/mon, when all of a sudden the PM plans changed for the worst and they introduced the split between 3G and 4G plans. The previous plan was much more attractive to me, and I just want to make sure that there is some way to jump onto a better promotion should it exist. Fingers crossed that there will be some better deals during back to school season. 

srlawren

@akung further to @imm1304's awesome reply above, the post you're quoting from Brooke_C was essentially an exception to the usual policy, that was offered for a period of time after PM introduced that particular batch of plan changes.  At that time, the changes offered would for almost all existing customers at that time, offer either more for the same $ amount, or the same for less $, or in some cases (like mine at the time), both.  With that in mind, they offered up a temporarily measure to allow people to change to the new plans and start saving and/or getting more included without having to wait.  But as imm1304 already mentioned, this is not the normal procedure [Edit: and that exception period is long past]

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

imm1304

Hey @akung,

The post you quoted is very specific to the promo plan it is describing in great detail.  

As a general rule, you do NOT get any price adjustments or partial refunds if you change your plan mid-cycle.  If you change plan mid-cycle, you will lose what you paid for earlier and will have to pay full price of the new plan you want to change to.  This is the nature of pre-paid service.  

Future dating to a plan will lock in that particular plan for you.  This option has been used in the past to successfully get on the promo plan at a later date that was well past the promo expiry date.  Basically, you can future-date your plan change request using any plan that is currently availabe at the time of changing plans.  

akung

Hello,

I'm new to PM and am planning to try it out. According to the FAQs posted (by Brooke_C, retired PM moderator) about 1 year ago, there is a 45 day period (when signed onto a 90 day plan) in which you can change your plan and be credited the difference between the old plan and the new plan. I have a couple questions about this policy (assuing this policy has not changed since 1 year ago??)

This is the scenario. 

Lets say I start a plan today (plan A) and in 40 days time I decide to switch to a new promotional plan (plan B). 

1. Since it is less than 45 days into my plan A contract, I can choose to credit the difference in cost between plans A and B? If Plan A is $140 and Plan B is $120, that difference is credited to me?

2. How is the credit calculated? Is it pro-rated by the day?

3. If the cost is the same, but plan features are different, does it just change seamlessly? 

4. If it is past 45 days, the only way to change plans is to wait to change at the end of the billing cycle, otherwise pay both plans at the same time (double pay). If I choose to "future date my plan for the next billing cycle", does that mean I lock the price on the day I chose to future date my plan for the next billing cycle? For example, I am 50 days into my plan. There is a promotion I like that is ending in 10 days. I choose to change to that plan the moment my current plan ends, and thus future date for next billing cycle. While the promo has technically ended by the time my first contract ends, because I have future dated my plan for next billing cycle I am able to retain the promotional pricing. Please let me know if this is a correct interpretration of the FAQ. 

@Brooke_C wrote:

Hey Community,

We’ve got great news!  We listened to your feedback on our pricing and plan options and are excited to announce that we are launching new plan options today!...

Frequently Asked Questions

1. What happens if I sign up for a more expensive plan right before the rate plan options change? Am I able to change my plan without a penalty?

Customers who are on a 90 day plan and have used less than 45 days of service will be able to have their plan changed or credited. The chart below outlines a couple of scenarios and how Public Mobile will assist you so that you receive the best value for your money.

Scenario

Action

You are on a 90-day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

If you have used less than 45 days of service, we can either: (1) credit you the difference between your existing rate and the new rate for a plan with the same options or (2) update your existing plan to the new suite of plans. If you take advantage of the credit, it will be one time only. After then, you are expected to update your plan options to the one that best meets your needs.

Be sure to take action quickly if you want to take advantage of the new plan options.

If you have used more than 45 days of service, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you have used more than half of your existing plan.

That being said, you are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 30 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

Sorry, since you are on a short term plan we won’t be able to credit or change your rate plan.

You are able to future date your plan for the next billing cycle. 

You are on a 10 day plan and would like to change your plan or receive a credit for the difference

As with the 30 day plan, we won’t be able to credit or change the rate plan for you since you are on a short term plan.

You can future date your plan for the next billing cycle.

You update your plan options, but then realize you would like to go back to your old plan

You won’t be able to switch back to your old plan after moving to the new suite of plan options. Be sure that you want to switch before you do!

@CS_Agent
@Brooke_C

@srlawren I want them to make me a sarcastic cat emoji

Is that too much to ask for?

Cat HappyCat IndifferentCat MadCat SadCat SurprisedCat TongueCat Very HappyCat WinkCat FrustratedCat EmbarassedCat LOL

Or Shin Godzilla

he could be sarcastic

srlawren

@kav2001c oops.  Tone can be so hard to pick up over text sometimes!  Sometimes I use <sarcasm>put sarcastic statements here</sarcasm> tags to make it explicit.  😉

@srlawren you missed my sarcasm filter Cat Wink

I just was commenting how some ideas are so odd in these threads

srlawren

@kav2001c wrote:

"Plan change" and "price increase" are not synonymous @srlawren

@kav2001c I realize that!!!  However, not everyone is super-precise when describing their issues.  This is a grandfathered customer that is complaining that PM is changing their plan.  You don't think it's possible they mean the cost/price of their plan?  

"Plan change" and "price increase" are not synonymous @srlawren

These threads have some really odd ideas to say the least Cat Sad

srlawren

@Rockdaddy22 wrote:
When was your plan changed? It was an option.

@Rockdaddy22 likely referring to the $3 grandfathered plan increases....

@dburgess_21 what law are you refering to? There is no obligation to serve you from any specific country, nor any law that says a supervisor needs to take a call.

@dburgess_21 wrote:

I called your call center and they refuse to transfer my call to a Canada call center or let me talk to a supervisor.  By law you are to transfer my call to a Canadian call center if I request it. Which I have done. This Jasimar represenative at a call center in Elsavador refuses to transfer me.  This not good customer service and I will have to let others know about the customer service that Public Mobile is providing to their customers. 

dparibello82
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
While I can't comment on your situation, I can definitely attest to the poor customer service and lack of clarity or transparency in how PM operates. It took me over a month to resolve my issue when if I could have spoken to 1 person at the beginning it would have been resolved in 5 minutes.

It is a simple tact to use in order to frustrate customers into giving up what ever it is they're trying to resolve by making them have to go through layers upon layers before actually speaking to a person who can fix your issue.

Rockdaddy22
When was your plan changed? It was an option.

dburgess_21

How can you change my rate plan when I have a letter send from you guys on August 2014 which last line states. " It is important to note that you are still a Public Mobile customer and your rate plan will not change as long as you continue to make you payments." By changing the cost of the rate plan or asking me to change carriers is a change to my rate plan. This is not what my letter states. I called your call center and they refuse to transfer my call to a Canada call center or let me talk to a supervisor. This is unacceptable customer service. I have been loyal to you for a few years. I was with you when you got rid of the public mobile stores and when to online only. I am starting to get fed up with this customer service crap. By law you are to transfer my call to a Canadian call center if I request it. Which I have done. This Jasimar represenative at a call center in Elsavador refuses to transfer me.  This not good customer service and I will have to let others know about the customer service that Public Mobile is providing to their customers. 

hearty_meal

The only text that i remember (i'am 77) getting from PM is when i try to text certain numbers in area code 204 i get the message saying, we don't support texting outside canada. Is there a way to find

out if i am on the list for major announcements via texting.

Rockdaddy22
It would be great to get notifications about the announcements, that's for sure.

srlawren
To the best of my knowledge, no such email notification exists currently. You should have received the text however. I'm not sure why that didn't happen.

Rockdaddy22
That would be a nice feature, maybe someone will let us know if it's possible.

hearty_meal

How do I get announcements sent to my email address

Rockdaddy22
I got this text message from 512-9 on Aug 8

Public Mobile here with great news for you! We have new pricing and now you can get an additional 2GB of data in your 90 day plan PLUS global texting for the same price you're paying today! Check out our suite of plans at publicmobile.ca/plans. Reply STOP, if you no longer wish to receive Public Mobile communications.

dparibello82
I never received that text, no. I still receive the occasional text from PM (I.e. The one about the dropping of calling several area codes in the US) and don't believe I ever opted out/in to receive texts. I would expect to have received some sort of notice via email (not even a, "you have an important message in your PM account" email) which I definitely did not receive either.

srlawren
Actually, @dparibello82, did you not get a text from Public Mobile advising you of the new plans?

For example, I received this text from 5129 on August 8th:

"Public Mobile here with great news for you! We have new pricing and now you can get everything you're getting in your current plan for $135! That's $26 in savings! Check out our new suite of plans at publicmobile.ca/plans. Reply STOP, if you no longer wish to receive Public Mobile communications."

Did you maybe opt out by texting stop to a previous message from 5129?

hearty_meal

I can see grandfathering someone into the same plan if it's less but I can't see grandfathering

someone into a plan that's going to cost them 20 dollars a month more for the exact same thing.

We need bettter communication when things are changing so that people are better informed.

srlawren
@dparibello82 people were not automatically moved to the newer plans, your plan was grandfathered for you. Most providers do this when changing what plans they offer at a point in time, it's standard behaviour. I don't think you will be compensated, but you can certainly request moving to one of the newer plans.

dparibello82

Hi, I just noticed the new rate plans and am greatly disturbed that I have been paying significantly more money for the exact same rate plan that I was signed up for.  I'm curious as to why I was never notified of this new rate and why it was never applied to my existing plan/account.  How do I go about receiving a credit for the last 3.5 months (Aug, Sep, Oct, Nov)?

Initially, I was paying $210 for the following:

90-day pass
$210 per 90 Days
  • This plan includes:
  • - 3 Choices (Grandfathered)
  • - 6GB Data
  • - Unlimited Canada & US Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text

Now I'm seeing that as of July 28, 2016, that exact same plan is:

90-day pass
$150 per 90 Days

• This plan includes: 
  • - Unlimited Canada and US Talk
  • - Unlimited International Text
  • - 6GB Data
  • - 3 Choices

Shazia_K
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey @libor

Welcome to Public Mobile, 

I'm sorry about this, sounds like a minor porting issue Smiley Embarassed

Can you please send me a private message with: 

-Public Mobile SIM card #

-The phone # you are porting

-Account # with your old provider

Thanks @Chaos_Scorpio @Rockdaddy22Smiley Tongue

Shazia

* Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum.

Rockdaddy22
Definitely sounds like a failed port, should be an easy fix @libor

Mary or Shaz will make contact with you in this thread, hold tight.

Chaos_Scorpio
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@libor you should make a new post for that issue (maybe an oracle can move it?)

did you receive any txt msg saying the port was successful? @Mary_M or @Shazia_K will have to see what didn't finish over. 

Do you have anyone blocked in your contacts (or the other persons phone)? My gf new iphone auto blocked me and a few contacts ... was annoying that I send messages but she thought I was ignoring her... I had to fix her stupid phone (long live the droid!)

Need Help? Let's chat.