Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Tests Today

Brooke_C
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Hey Community,

Today, November 28th, you will be receiving a wireless public alerting test message if you have a compatible device. Canada’s Alert Ready service became available on April 6, 2018, and its purpose is to broadcast emergency alerts to inform you of critical or potentially life-threatening situations that require immediate attention to keep you and your family safe. To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alertready.ca.

-Public Mobile Community Team

42 REPLIES 42

It doesnt work on all phone.   

Wondering how those feel when they dont know thre is an alert test.  Smiley Happy

syphone
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

The alert went off @ 1:55pm. I have Essential.

lemew07
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Where are we having the wake? lol My note 4 did not recieve the emergency text either so we are both dead lol Cheers Lemew

@westcoastsurf wrote:

I did not get the alert. Samsung Note 4. Friend received alert, Samsung galaxy 7. Both use PM.

I guess I die. Good job gov.

westcoastsurf

I did not get the alert. Samsung Note 4. Friend received alert, Samsung galaxy 7. Both use PM.

I guess I die. Good job gov.

luke11992
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I have an iPhone 6s, and no alert 😕

Jormungandr

Received the alert on my Huawei P20 Pro (Global Version).  Instead of Emergency Alert, it used the title "Presidential Alert".  Urgh.

mihtu2001
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I did not receive the alert in Québec. Iphone se! Did someone from Québec received it on an Iphone? Thank you!

Willaug56

Received text and alert while sitting in the car dealership in Ottawa on my Samsung A5 2017 

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Alerting us the day off, not much warning and thats if we check the message board in the appropiate time period. I did not get such a text.

dougc

Never received the first one  although it did squeal on the supposed disabled OnStar utility embedded on the stereo sys'  in my '08 Saturn.   Go figure !!

Today nothing again on my Alcatel OneTouch  🙂     But nowhere near my vehicle, so don't know if it connected again.  LOL

@Effort wrote:
@jeffrey1 wrote:

I did not get the alert. My phone did not go off nor did I get a message. I did get the message when I was with my Koodo during the last test. I have a OnePlus 3t (same phone as for the last test) can you please tell me why i did not get the alert?

Check your settings. You can't opt out of the alerts but there are settings on OxygenOS to block the alerts from showing and you can specify which you want alerts you want to see from amber alerts, extreme threats, and severe threats.

My experiences are that changing these types of settings have no effect on what happens.   Even alert types that you disable still come through. I'm not speaking specifically of the One Plus devices, but on other Android devices that I've used.

Effort
@jeffrey1 wrote:

I did not get the alert. My phone did not go off nor did I get a message. I did get the message when I was with my Koodo during the last test. I have a OnePlus 3t (same phone as for the last test) can you please tell me why i did not get the alert?

Check your settings. You can't opt out of the alerts but there are settings on OxygenOS to block the alerts from showing and you can specify which you want alerts you want to see from amber alerts, extreme threats, and severe threats.

Effort

Got the message just fine on OnePlus 5t. I seem to have gotten the message a lot sooner than some of my classmatesScreenshot_20181128-215102.jpg

jeffrey1
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@erinnkec

It def was not a txt on Apple devices (I have an 8 as well)

@erinnkec wrote:

I didn't receive the alert text - do I have to contact someone regarding this?

I'm using an iphone 8 plus

@Jenny6745

You might have

@Brooke_C

Ok so this round Telus (incl my Public and Koodo iPhones) did something even stranger

I would never even have known there was an alert today

It simply popped up on the lock screen a very long blurb of text

No audible alerts

No way for me to even view/read the alert once I unlocked the device (on one of my phones I unlocked fingerprint and realized I can not seem to find alert anywhere in phone)

So read the blurb on second device before unlock

This national alert thing seems kinda useless ... if this actually was an emergency I am betting most of the pop does not even get it....

@Jenny6745 wrote:

I have an Apple 8 and didn’t get the alert.

killer23d

Probably it hasn't gotten an update for some time.

Both my iPhone 8 and Pixel 2 got the alert. One is on Telus and one is on Roger.

Gonzo

Got the alert here in BC on two different phones, each with different providers. My iPhone is on PM, and it came through even with the data turned off.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Anonymous wrote:

@Psygineer wrote:

must be too Windows

Too Windows. lol. Funny.

So like how is that there Windows phone? That probably would have been my next phone. But alas...another failed phone. Dang Apple and Alphabet.

It's great for my parents. It actually gets better reception than the iPhone 5s I tried them on originally. Windows 10 Mobile is actually very intuitive if you are a Windows PC user. My parents are used to the tile screen from Windows 8 and 10 so the phone was simple for them. It's quick enough to launch apps, Cortana isn't terrible in comparison to Google Assistant (Cortana is better than Bixby anyway). It syncs with their PC and they enjoy that element of it. There are still plenty of apps for it too. The camera on it is pretty decent but it has random lags where it takes a while to save. It could be an issue with the Micro SD being too slow too as it is just an old Class 4 I had kicking around. The internal storage is a bit small, but at least it is expandable. My mother enjoys the customizable ringtones and has it set to Music Box Dancer right now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Psygineer wrote:

must be too Windows

Too Windows. lol. Funny.

So like how is that there Windows phone? That probably would have been my next phone. But alas...another failed phone. Dang Apple and Alphabet.

Psygineer

Nothing here, so the Android 4 wonder phone, LG G Flex must be too old. And the Lumia 650 must be too Windows (It's only about 2 years old)!

Anonymous
Not applicable

No alert here now out west with the last time zone of the allegedly 1:55 local time. Even if that was am...nothing. Data or not.

Blackberry OS10

As I said earlier I got that alert in Hawaii last January using an MVNO so I would think the phone is fine. Oh well.

Successfully received on my Pixel with data on. I didn't get it on my work phone with data off and on call while alert went live. So don't be on call for long when such things happen Smiley LOL

If it really is an emergency fine, but is this the 3rd or 4th test since implementation?  They're just teaching people to quickly dismiss the messages in the desire to quiet the tone.  I think that some of the news articles mentioned that phenomenom.  While this system should help with public safety, I wonder if the alerts and alert tones themselves have directly triggered any health issues, or caused any car crashes from the distraction.  I'm not saying to scrap the system or anything, but that just that those types of factors need to be considered.

dna2016

Yay, got my alert, everything worked out for me, so when the Apocalypse comes I'll be for sure ready, lol.

smp99

we got it here. All on koodo issued iPhones

According to Alertready.ca, Public Mobile is now a 'supported' carrier making these notices, and you must have an LTE phone on the latest operating system(s) that will receive the WPA signal.  You can not opt-out, and you're automatically opted-in.

Guess you'll also need a cellular signal when it happens!

qberry

Using older Samsung S4. Didn't receive Alert. assuming because my phone is too old?

dmbcanada

Didn't get the alert, guessing my phone is not compatible as I did not get the first one back in May while I was on a different provider.   Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016)

I did not receive the ET alarm.  It's now 14:10 Local.  LG q6.

Possibly poor LTE signal, as I'm in the centre of a concrete and steel frame building.

Need Help? Let's chat.