Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Re: Alert Ready Test on November 27, 2019

@Korth wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

I finally get to test if my phone software properly blocks/allows SMS-CB msgs. 

Blocking the sender doesn't work, but switching to 3g does.

I do have _some_ confidence in my software. Since I downloaded, modded, and compiled it myself from the old Signal SMS source repository on github.

Still... results speak for themselves and there is no substitute for success. I can have it installed (with different settings) on several active devices during the test broadcast. I can't report actual results until afterwards. 

It will be interesting to hear if it works or not.  Based on what you have written, I don't believe it will as our Alert system is not based on SMS messaging.

@will13am wrote:

@Korth wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

I finally get to test if my phone software properly blocks/allows SMS-CB msgs. 

Blocking the sender doesn't work, but switching to 3g does.

I do have _some_ confidence in my software. Since I downloaded, modded, and compiled it myself from the old Signal SMS source repository on github.

Still... results speak for themselves and there is no substitute for success. I can have it installed (with different settings) on several active devices during the test broadcast. I can't report actual results until afterwards. 

I just turned emergency notifications off on my phone.  So, I will get to test if that control works or not. 

I tried that on Samsung phone and it did NOT block Amber Alerts.  When I investigated afterwards, I learned that this functionality of blocking emergency notifications only worked for SMS-based notifications (US) rather than network based (Canada).

@jimbobs wrote:

I tried that on Samsung phone and it did NOT block Amber Alerts.  When I investigated afterwards, I learned that this functionality of blocking emergency notifications only worked for SMS-based notifications (US) rather than network based (Canada).

Save for altering the phone's software or making sure that you're never connected to the LTE network, there's no way to block any of the messages sent through the official emergency system. I suspect that Amber alerts are not being categorized as such, but that all alerts are being sent using the same classification

@computergeek541 wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

Save for altering the phone's software or making sure that you're never connected to the LTE network, there's no way to block any of the messages sent through the official emergency system. I suspect that Amber alerts are not being categorized as such, but that all alerts are being sent using the same classification

Correct.  The Canadian system is designed with a number of levels but a decision was made to use Amber Alerts at the highest level (but restricted geographically).

For more information, go to https://www.alertready.ca/

This site also has interesting statistics on emergency alerts issued and shows that Ontario has by far the highest number (47) while BC had none!

Mayor / Maire

November 27th?? I just got it on my original account on a Samsung S7 running A8. My other account didn't get it which is a Nokia Lumia 635 running Windows Phone 8.1. Maybe it'll arrive on the 27th. Or not.

@z10user4 wrote:

November 27th?? I just got it on my original account on a Samsung S7 running A8. My other account didn't get it which is a Nokia Lumia 635 running Windows Phone 8.1. Maybe it'll arrive on the 27th. Or not.

What did you get?  The test will be conducted in Ontario on Nov. 27th at 2.55pm EST.

Mayor / Maire

@jimbobs wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

What did you get?  The test will be conducted in Ontario on Nov. 27th at 2.55pm EST.

(this might be a built-in From "contact" name) Emergency alerts

RMT Alert

This is a Wireless Alerting test message issued by your wireless provider for testing purposes only. No action required. Message is not intended for distribution to the public. You are receiving this message, as your phone is configured to receive test alerts. /// then again in French

This was today at 10:57am PT

It arrived in the default messaging program. And it showed in the dialer as #CMAS#CMASALL.

So am I getting carted away to the slammer for distributing it to the public? Smiley Happy

@z10user4 wrote:

It arrived in the default messaging program. And it showed in the dialer as #CMAS#CMASALL.

I tried blocking this on my phone and the phone allows you to do it, but the phone (a
Samsung A8 2018 for me), and the messaging app (Android Messages in my case) ignores the setting, the alert still sounds, the full screen pop up still occurs, and Messages doesn't archive the message (in gets delivered to the main folder).

Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’ve actually never got one of these alert test messages or calls. I’ve been working along side 3 people where everyone receives it but me lol. Although I was with Virgin Mobile from 13 months ago prior.

Looking forward to see if Public pulls through!

@computergeek541 wrote:

@z10user4 wrote:

I tried blocking this on my phone and the phone allows you to do it, but the phone (a
Samsung A8 2018 for me), and the messaging app (Android Messages in my case) ignores the setting, the alert still sounds, the full screen pop up still occurs, and Messages doesn't archive the message (in gets delivered to the main folder).

Because everything you've described depends on SMS-based emergency alerts.  The Canadian implementation is an LTE-based service and once you're connected to an LTE network, you will receive the message.

This is all part of the (technical) move away from circuit-switched mobile services towards IP-based services.