cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alert Ready Test on November 27, 2019

Alan_K
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Hey Community,

On November 27, 2019, provincial and territorial governments will be conducting another test of the Alert Ready system. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians. Test alerts educate Canadians on what an emergency alert will look and sound like in the event of a life-threatening situation.

The test alert will be distributed on TV, Radio and wireless. However, not all Canadians will receive the test alert on their mobile device. This may occur for a variety of reasons; device compatibility, connection to an LTE network, cell tower coverage and device software and settings.

To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alertready.ca.

-Public Mobile Community Team

60 REPLIES 60

jimbobs
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Antikz wrote:

I’ve actually never got one of these alert test messages or calls. I’ve been working along side 3 people where everyone receives it but me lol. Although I was with Virgin Mobile from 13 months ago prior.

Looking forward to see if Public pulls through!

From the alertready.ca website:

"In order for a wireless device to be capable of receiving an alert three broad conditions must be met.

The wireless device must be:

• A wireless public alerting (WPA) compatible device, like a smartphone, capable of connecting to an LTE network (LTE is commonly referred to as “4G LTE”); and
  • Equipped with the latest version of its operating software; and
  • Connected to an LTE cellular network at the time the emergency alert is issued or joins the network while the alert is still active.

Older cell phones that operate exclusively on non-LTE networks will not get an alert."

jimbobs

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It arrived in the default messaging program. And it showed in the dialer as #CMAS#CMASALL.

I tried blocking this on my phone and the phone allows you to do it, but the phone (a
Samsung A8 2018 for me), and the messaging app (Android Messages in my case) ignores the setting, the alert still sounds, the full screen pop up still occurs, and Messages doesn't archive the message (in gets delivered to the main folder).

Because everything you've described depends on SMS-based emergency alerts.  The Canadian implementation is an LTE-based service and once you're connected to an LTE network, you will receive the message.

This is all part of the (technical) move away from circuit-switched mobile services towards IP-based services.

Antikz
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’ve actually never got one of these alert test messages or calls. I’ve been working along side 3 people where everyone receives it but me lol. Although I was with Virgin Mobile from 13 months ago prior.

Looking forward to see if Public pulls through!

@Anonymous wrote:

It arrived in the default messaging program. And it showed in the dialer as #CMAS#CMASALL.

I tried blocking this on my phone and the phone allows you to do it, but the phone (a
Samsung A8 2018 for me), and the messaging app (Android Messages in my case) ignores the setting, the alert still sounds, the full screen pop up still occurs, and Messages doesn't archive the message (in gets delivered to the main folder).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jimbobs wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

November 27th?? I just got it on my original account on a Samsung S7 running A8. My other account didn't get it which is a Nokia Lumia 635 running Windows Phone 8.1. Maybe it'll arrive on the 27th. Or not.

What did you get?  The test will be conducted in Ontario on Nov. 27th at 2.55pm EST.

(this might be a built-in From "contact" name) Emergency alerts

RMT Alert

This is a Wireless Alerting test message issued by your wireless provider for testing purposes only. No action required. Message is not intended for distribution to the public. You are receiving this message, as your phone is configured to receive test alerts. /// then again in French

This was today at 10:57am PT

So am I getting carted away to the slammer for distributing it to the public? 🙂

jimbobs

@Anonymous wrote:

November 27th?? I just got it on my original account on a Samsung S7 running A8. My other account didn't get it which is a Nokia Lumia 635 running Windows Phone 8.1. Maybe it'll arrive on the 27th. Or not.

What did you get?  The test will be conducted in Ontario on Nov. 27th at 2.55pm EST.

Anonymous
Not applicable

jimbobs

@computergeek541 wrote:

@jimbobs wrote:

I tried that on Samsung phone and it did NOT block Amber Alerts.  When I investigated afterwards, I learned that this functionality of blocking emergency notifications only worked for SMS-based notifications (US) rather than network based (Canada).

Save for altering the phone's software or making sure that you're never connected to the LTE network, there's no way to block any of the messages sent through the official emergency system. I suspect that Amber alerts are not being categorized as such, but that all alerts are being sent using the same classification

Correct.  The Canadian system is designed with a number of levels but a decision was made to use Amber Alerts at the highest level (but restricted geographically).

For more information, go to https://www.alertready.ca/

This site also has interesting statistics on emergency alerts issued and shows that Ontario has by far the highest number (47) while BC had none!

@jimbobs wrote:

I tried that on Samsung phone and it did NOT block Amber Alerts.  When I investigated afterwards, I learned that this functionality of blocking emergency notifications only worked for SMS-based notifications (US) rather than network based (Canada).

Save for altering the phone's software or making sure that you're never connected to the LTE network, there's no way to block any of the messages sent through the official emergency system. I suspect that Amber alerts are not being categorized as such, but that all alerts are being sent using the same classification

jimbobs

@will13am wrote:

@Korth wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

I finally get to test if my phone software properly blocks/allows SMS-CB msgs. 

Blocking the sender doesn't work, but switching to 3g does.

I do have _some_ confidence in my software. Since I downloaded, modded, and compiled it myself from the old Signal SMS source repository on github.

Still... results speak for themselves and there is no substitute for success. I can have it installed (with different settings) on several active devices during the test broadcast. I can't report actual results until afterwards. 

I just turned emergency notifications off on my phone.  So, I will get to test if that control works or not. 

jimbobs

@Korth wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

I do have _some_ confidence in my software. Since I downloaded, modded, and compiled it myself from the old Signal SMS source repository on github.

Still... results speak for themselves and there is no substitute for success. I can have it installed (with different settings) on several active devices during the test broadcast. I can't report actual results until afterwards. 

It will be interesting to hear if it works or not.  Based on what you have written, I don't believe it will as our Alert system is not based on SMS messaging.

jimbobs

@Korth wrote:

The Canadian Alert system is not based on SMS messaging.  

redgam8
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm not sure it's my phone or something else. I SOMETIMES get it and sometimes not. I'm worried in case I miss the important one for me. Anyone else having this issue?

Kim1971kim
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Thanks for the warning

Anonymous
Not applicable

@KenAdams wrote:
"Sir, it seems the alarm is coming from you".

Ooo..."sir"...la dee da. 🙂

KenAdams

I remember last time it went off was while I was at work. I was talking to my staff and the alarm was going off. It was going off for over 30 seconds at least. I told everyone "For the love of God can someone turn their alarm off?". It wasn't till someone walked behind me and said "Sir, it seems the alarm is coming from you". I reached around to my back pocket where my PM phone was and yup, it was me. LMAO.

Annala
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

With my previous carrier, I didn't receive any emergency alerts, even tests. I recently switched to PM, so it will be interesting to see if it comes through this time.

MoreYummy
Mayor / Maire

Lets see if it works, it doesnt work last time.

@lukevader wrote:
If it works, can you make it into an app and sell it??? 🙂 cause..... "I'd buy that for a dollar" haha

I think it's unethical to sell other people's software. Especially when those people make it freely available opensource. 

https://github.com/signalapp/Signal-Android

lukevader

@Korth wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

If it works, can you make it into an app and sell it??? 🙂 cause..... "I'd buy that for a dollar" haha

http://giphygifs.s3.amazonaws.com/media/4LRkCWLi2MKOc/giphy.gif 

DL888

Thanks for the heads up

@will13am wrote:

I just turned emergency notifications off on my phone.  So, I will get to test if that control works or not. 

If it were that easy to disable, the dislike and complaints about the system probably wouldn't be as rampant.

Poogzley

Good to know, hopefully it works as intended this time...

@Korth wrote:

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

danielj
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Appriciate the notice. If possible it would be nice to know roughly the time of the test.

@cellphoneuser1 wrote:

@Korth wrote:

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was recently in the states without roaming connected to AT&T and got a test through them.

I was once in Hawaii with a different carrier SIM and got that missile warning and also the retraction.

I haven't seen any tests or real ones here yet.

@Korth wrote:

Newfiescreech

@Alan_K wrote

Hey Community,

On November 27, 2019, provincial and territorial governments will be conducting another test of the Alert Ready system. Alert Ready is designed to deliver critical and potentially life-saving alerts to Canadians. Test alerts educate Canadians on what an emergency alert will look and sound like in the event of a life-threatening situation.

The test alert will be distributed on TV, Radio and wireless. However, not all Canadians will receive the test alert on their mobile device. This may occur for a variety of reasons; device compatibility, connection to an LTE network, cell tower coverage and device software and settings.

To learn more about the Alert Ready service, what devices are supported, and the test schedule for your province or territory, visit alertready.ca.

-Public Mobile Community Team

Thanks so much for letting us know .. when the test alert will be coming .

kindly appreciate 

Need Help? Let's chat.