cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happen to your account when you port your number out?

Sahkahnah
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

What happens to your account when you port your number out to a different company?  

I just ported my number from public to another company. Which is all good but I also just toped up my public account and now it won't let me log in to the the my account self serve ..... 

11 REPLIES 11

@Sahkahnah You port out, they have to close the account. Those are the porting rules. You can ask but I say that chances aren't good about getting balance and rewards back. I think chances are almost zero.

@Sahkahnah wrote:

Yea I just assumed it'd automatically assign a new random number or just swap numbers with the one I was porting to but that clearly didn't happen 

@Sahkahnah Did you try and contact them as I suggested to see if there was any way at all to get the account back?

Sahkahnah

Yea I just assumed it'd automatically assign a new random number or just swap numbers with the one I was porting to but that clearly didn't happen 

@Sahkahnah wrote:

Yea I was intending on continuing uses of the account just not as my main account anymore 

The reason for that not being a possibility happens to be because you can't have more than one phone number in a Public Mobile account. 

With any carrier and when there is only one phone nubmer in the account, porting out forces closure of the account. At carriers that allow more than one phone number per account, it is possible to keep the account open. As to if a carrier will allow service to resume with a new phone number is up to a new carrier (even if they have to open a new account for you), but usually they won't (and Public Mobile doesn't do this).

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

@Sahkahnah 

You could ask them to reinstate your account if you have made a mistake 

All the prepaid service providers don't prorate and give you money back

You could try disputing with your credit company but i doubt you will succeed as you agreed to term and you topped up the account, so your credit company may not approve them complaint.

If you feel you did something your didn't really want done you could reach out to moderators and ask them to revert the charges maybe they will be able to do it, no promises thought.

Did you move to prepaid as well, if you did you may lose there too, if it's postpaid you may be able to get your money back

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sahkahnah wrote:

Yea I was intending on continuing uses of the account just not as my main account anymore 

Yeah porting doesn't work that way. I would be surprised if they let you re-instate with a new SIM. Probably even less likely for the fact that you would need a new number too. It would be very close in concept to switching numbers around accounts which is technically possible but not allowed.

@Sahkahnah Try contacting a moderator at the link below and see if there is any way to save the account if you get a new sim. Explain what happened. No guarantees but the worst they can do is say no so worth a try. Good luck.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Sahkahnah

Gunner123
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Sahkahnah wrote:

What happens to your account when you port your number out to a different company?  

I just ported my number from public to another company. Which is all good but I also just toped up my public account and now it won't let me log in to the the my account self serve ..... 

@Sahkahnah  hi once you port your number your account is closed any monies it there are gone

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Sahkahnah wrote:

As it's supposed to be with all Canadian carriers, the account ceases to be. Although there's the odd bug we've read about where people keep getting charged afterwards but it seems rare. Always advisable to turn off any auto-payments to outfits you're leaving anyway.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@Sahkahnah wrote:

@Sahkahnah Once you port out your number to a new carrier your Public Mobile account is closed. You lose any outstanding rewards, balance or left over term.

It sounds like you were trying to something other than close out this account?

Need Help? Let's chat.