cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Re: Fax machine squelch sound at beginning of calls

Ah yeah @darlicious  that reminds me that the S4 had some audio settings for "Bass boost / reduction"- maybe disabling such settings would help. Further testing would be needed to see if it is another theory - if it is to other Telus/Koodo/PM subscribers where it can use the "HD Voice CODEC" (AMR-WB) instead of the usual 8Khz CODEC (AMR)....

- problem is my S4 is currently lost somewhere in my house and haven't found it for a couple weeks so I can't confirm that .... hope I find it soon, it has a spare active SIM in it LOL.

trishe
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@Nezgar LOL! I can test it in the new Nokia but I so strongly dislike the factory defect of that phone not answering and bloating to run too slow...I can also switch it to the moto that has no factory defects other than a poor antenna that might have one bar where other phones have 4...Ah Ha! I do not feel so alone in this since you shared your S4 experience(s)....I had my HTC fall behind the stove for over 3 months! Lol.  I never reported it stolen since I knew it had to be here....somewhere.  it's a small space between the counter and stove.  If not for a heavy duty clean it would still be lost lol

trishe

I have not yet switched the SIM into another phone.  If it's a problem with Samsung then I don't need to contact moderator team for this problem.  Thanks everyone

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

.... And just yesterday I found my "missing" Samsung Galaxy S4 phone previously mentioned... buried in the depths of my wifes car... now I vaguely remember bringing it with me one day in it hehehe... So I'll make some test calls and see if I can find a pattern to reproduce the problem... maybe not, but if it happens I'll try to remember this thread.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@trishe 

Did a dozen or so test calls and got a hit... I had it on speakerphone so the squals were nice and loud... Without hanging up the call I switched it back to handset, and the audio was fixed... back to speakerphone, also OK.... So I guess there's a workaround for you.

I've only ever experienced it when a call first connects.. not some time after a call has connected.

View solution in original post

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar 

Thanks for testing. That confirms what was being reported in the samsung forum that engaging or disengaging speakerphone briefly will clear up the issue. 

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

One last anecdote to this behaviour is I think it has something to do with switching to/from "HD Voice" - watching carefully on other phones I can see the "HD" icon appear briefly when making a call, then disappearing after a second or so after the call connects, and theres also a brief audio dropout. I think this transition between HD and standard codecs is what might cause the audio glitch in the S4. When the S4 came out HD voice was uncommon, but is now a regular thing when calling at least between Telus Mobility/Koodo/Public Mobile customers...

trishe

• Yes it only happens when dialling out when the call first connects. Never in the middle or connecting with incoming calls.  I tried the switching from speaker to non speaker and back and problem solved...somewhat...thank you
trishe

@Nezgar 

Thank you again..it is a work around.  I will contact Samsung directly cause it is the only phone it happens on and we should not have to work around to use their products effectively

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@trishe wrote:

Thank you again..it is a work around.  I will contact Samsung directly cause it is the only phone it happens on and we should not have to work around to use their products effectively.

Well... keep in mind that the Galaxy S4 is a phone from 2013, so I don't expect Samsung is going to put a lot of priority on supporting an 8 year old phone.  I just attributed it to quirks of continuing to use such an old phone in this day and age. It seems every month or so there's another app on it that refuses to update because it no longer support Android 6..

Need Help? Let's chat.