cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Leakage: Problem and Solution

lynsay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I am posting an issue I had and its solution just in case there are others who have also experienced this.

I had an issue with data usage being logged when it shouldn’t have been. Despite my phone always being connected to Wifi (and also not being used at all) and such settings as Cellular Data and Wifi Assist being turned to "off,” small amounts of data usage were being listed on my account. After much back and forth, first with moderators and then with tech support, it turns out that there was data leakage because LTE was not disabled within the Cellular Data Options. This LTE option could not even be seen since my Cellular Data was turned off, but when I turned Cellular Data on, switched LTE to disable it, and then turned Cellular Data back off, the data leakage stopped. I haven't had the problem since.

6 REPLIES 6

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@geopublic another reason to love Oxygen OS!

That said, I do always have dev options available, as one of the first things I do on any new phone is to set all 3 animation settings to off.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren  On my Pixel running 10 it's in the Developer optionsScreenshot_20191229-125944.png

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@lynsay wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I am on an iPhone and do not recall that feature/option; 

@lynsay that's Wi-Fi Assist.  🙂

@geopublic wrote:

@lynsay  If you are using Android make sure you have enabled Developer options.  Look for a setting that is on by default that keeps data on even when on WiFi for faster network switching. If you turn that setting off then that should resolve the issue instead of having to turn LTE off.

@geopublic you need to be in developer options for that?  On my OnePlus 7, I can get at it without developer options.  Settings, Wi-Fi & internet, Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Preferences, and then:

Screenshot_20191230-155047.jpg

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

STUCCOPRO
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Awesome thanks for posting this I've had this problem also 🙂

lynsay
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you for your reply. I am on an iPhone and do not recall that feature/option; however, I will be sure to check it out. Even if it doesn't apply to me personally, I'm sure all the Android users would find that bit of information beneficial. Like with my mysterious data leakage, it seems like a little loophole that not all people would know to check, which is why I wanted to share. One would think that with the phone not being used and cellular data for all the individual apps, Cellular Data, and WiFi Assist all turned off, we wouldn't have to worry about data being logged. It was a frustrating process, but thankfully the root of the problem was identified and a solution was found. Your extra bit of information is also helpful, so thank you.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@lynsay  If you are using Android make sure you have enabled Developer options.  Look for a setting that is on by default that keeps data on even when on WiFi for faster network switching. If you turn that setting off then that should resolve the issue instead of having to turn LTE off.

Need Help? Let's chat.