cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DATA useage

EsmeMD
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hey, I am wondering if anyone else has this issue. 

Even when my data is off, I still receive Snapchats and can use Instagram and can search on Spotify. It seems to be whenever I get out of range from a wifi signal, it automatically changes to data, but it is still showing as data being off on my phone, but the usage is going up. I have the setting on my phone to NOT automatically switch to data.

Basically, even when my data is off it isn't and the usage keeps going up. Any advice or similar experiences?

Thanks in advance 🙂

5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EsmeMD 

turn off all app background data,

for more information about Managing Your Data Usage visit  Here link to save your data..

keepasa
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi,  What could be happening is that you have Smart Network Switch enabled.

Originally released with Android 4, Smart Network Switch runs in the background and checks to see if your WiFi internet connection is stable. On the off chance that it becomes unstable, it will automatically switch your smartphone to mobile data.

So to see if it's enabled:
1) Menu > Settings > Wi-Fi
2) There it should show advanced settings or more option
3) Tap the action button (The more or the advanced tab)

4) There it should show the 'Smart Network Switch' option.

5) Set it on OFF if you want it disabled.

Smart network switch: IF smart network switch is enabled, your device will be connected to a mobile network automatically when the Wi-Fi connected is unstable. This may result in additional data charges charges depending on your data plan.

Hopefully this can be of help.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@EsmeMD 

just pick one. either use data or wifi. only enable data when you want to use it, otherwise leave it disabled

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@EsmeMD wrote:

Even when my data is off, I still receive Snapchats and can use Instagram and can search on Spotify. It seems to be whenever I get out of range from a wifi signal, it automatically changes to data, but it is still showing as data being off on my phone, but the usage is going up. I have the setting on my phone to NOT automatically switch to data.

Basically, even when my data is off it isn't and the usage keeps going up. Any advice or similar experiences?

Thanks in advance 🙂

Do you have an iPhone and have wifi assist turned on?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@EsmeMD wrote:

Thanks in advance 🙂

Check your apps to ensure background data is turned off and software updates are set to wifi only.

There is also a data buffer close to 5 MB  when data is turned on/off.

Need Help? Let's chat.