cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoLTE beta testing sign up

Xeejem
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I strongly suggest PM should start letting users to sign up testing the new VoLTE roll out rathan than just whitelist a small set of telus devices. Their whitelist process is limited because of the wide range of devices. Reply to this post if you would like PM to consider the program.

8 REPLIES 8

Mlewin
Good Neighbour / Bon Voisin

Hello, I have a Samsung A13 5G phone. Not exactly sure what VoLTE is and how it works but I would like to be able to use it.

Mlewin
Good Neighbour / Bon Voisin

Hello, I have a Samsung A13 5G phone. Not exactly sure what VoLTE is and how it works but I would like to be able to use it.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Xeejem 

there is no beta testing with VoLTE.  As long as a device is whitelisted, it can be access VoLTE. 

@Cheetah24 wrote:

@Xeejem: While I don't know for sure I don't think that list is correct though, it's not updated exactly. I have a Galaxy A20 phone and that's not in the list. But I have the HD symbol when making calls (if the other phone is also Volte enabled) with some friends. So I think PM does support more phones than on the list.

HD Voice is not always VoLTE.  HD Voice has been available for years at Public Mobile on the HSPA network. There has long been a link to a information avaialble performing an internet search that several members have been circulating that has led many to draw an incorrect conclusion that VoLTE is required for HD Voice (it isn't).

Korth_
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte

All accounts activated on or after 22 Feb 2023 automatically have VoLTE enabled. All accounts activated before that date gradually had VoLTE activated "over the next few months".

That was almost a full year ago. Every account has VoLTE now.

VoLTE of course uses LTE networks. But they've already achieved over 99% LTE coverage and aren't going to expand anymore. The money and the focus are on expanding 5G coverage which can currently service only about 70% of Canada's populated areas. VoLTE is old news and a done deal in the past and they're looking at making money in the future.

As to why VoLTE doesn't work on every phone brand and model ... the simple answer is that Telus only enables it on the devices they sell. If your device didn't come from them and is not on their list then they didn't really make any money off it so they don't really care about it, if you don't choose to buy the VoLTE they sell then you don't get to use VoLTE on their network.

I'm not attempting to rationalize or justify that Telus can do this. I am merely explaining that they're already doing this. And I'm observing that it's anti-consumer but it still makes them money. Telus controls and profits from VoLTE as a commodity now - and people are buying it so it's evident they're willing to pay the premium to get it - so what motivation does Telus have to let consumers take that away from them?

Cheetah24

@Xeejem: While I don't know for sure I don't think that list is correct though, it's not updated exactly. I have a Galaxy A20 phone and that's not in the list. But I have the HD symbol when making calls (if the other phone is also Volte enabled) with some friends. So I think PM does support more phones than on the list.

Xeejem
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

In the bottom section, they list the current supported devices, i.e., a device whitelist. Many users including myself having a VoLTE capable devices are blocked from getting on the feature although their SIM card and network are enabled for it.  My concern is that their whitelist isn't growing at a healthy pace because they can never do enough testing on all the devices out there. 

Cheetah24

As far as I know and as indicated here, https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/volte all new customers have this enabled. 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.