cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US dollar credit cards

mynewhome
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Anybody know any no annual fee us dollar credit cards issued by Canadian banks?

3 REPLIES 3

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

I use the BMO US Dollar MasterCard for all my US dollar online purchases (web hosting, eBay, etc) as well as while physically in the US. It is $35/year, but free if you spend $1000 USD/yr on the card. With this card, you don't lose out when you get a purchase fully refunded and end up losing money because of the double currency conversion, as well as saving the standard MasterCard 2.5% on TOP of the normal bank curency conversion premium.

I pay it using a BMO US Dollar chequing account. Once you have your first chequing account, you can add as many additional accounts as you want for no additional fees, so the US dollar one was my second. Oh and the benefit of being able to deposit US cheques without the stupid ~$20 currency conversion/handling fee.

I top-up the US Dollar chequing account by exchanging US Dollars using Knightsbridge foreign exchange occasionally. Their minimum trade value is $1500 I think, but you get at least 2% better exchange rate than the banks.

@mynewhome

Which card from which bank/institution are you specifically asking about? Is it a consumer credit card, a corporate-issue credit card, etc? Is it linked to a US-funds account? 

I'm guessing that if they don't get you on monthly/annual subscription fees then they get you on high interest rates and/or bad currency exchange rates instead. 

cbx4evr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Don't know of any Candian Banks issuning credit cards in US dollars. I use a Home Trust Visa card when in the USA as they don't charge the fees that the banks do.

Need Help? Let's chat.