cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mayor / Maire

Re: Tipping

Oh and here is a real new F U for servers

I am sure this has happened to you guys before its kinda funny when people mean to tip but dont

The way some of the newer machines work now, the tip percentage is based on outstanding bill, not the total amount

I guess they do this since some people complain about tipping on top of tax

But the issue is if something is comped or if there is a promo (eg buy one get one free etc) the tip amount becomes ludicrously low

I just saw this again the other day, where on a pizza delivery order (large one) teh person who paid just quickly pressed the "15% option" and was mortified while reviewing the bill afterwards to see the machine had calculated something like a $0.46 tip amount

As near as I can see, it calculated first order (eg +$25) then gave back the free order (-$25)and tip was then based on the added delivery charge (about $4)

Mayor / Maire

@Tiprix 

They ARE being paid right (in this province)

The issue becomes when you travel as there are other places (the US is notorious for this) where servers are paid insane low amounts (like $2-$3 per hour)

Here they get a low wage but it is still comparable to minimum

Even if only 1 person gives them a tip per hour they make well more than minimum wage

@Tiprix wrote:

I don't understand why tax and tips can't be included in the final price.  If servers aren't being paid right, increase the menu price so they do.  The customers would then know exactly what they are getting into.  If you want customers to give out a fair amount, just state it.  Don't stare at me akwardly if I don't give enough.  Tips are annoying, I would request a flat price for everything, and if your server really went above and beyond just tell them.  Tips are like gifts/bonuses/recognitions, how often do you receive them at your workplace?  

Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I look at the issue very simply: Tips are optional, no one can call the pigs on you when you don't pay a tip, but they can call the pigs on you when you don't pay your bill.  So, to everyone I say leave what you want, plain and simple. Don't feel like leaving anything, then don't. Feel like leaving 100% or more, go ahead. But don't let others peer pressure you or bully you or shame you into doing something you don't like doing, that's the problem with the world is everyone trying to tell or shame  or bully or presure  other into doing something.

In China at non-tourist places, nobody accepts tips, because they don't want this culture to spread and make everything more expensive for everyone - this makes sense, because if a waiter starts accepting tips and the tipping culture spreads, that same waiter gonna have to pays tips too when they go out.

So, to all the people expecting tips, stop expecting what you not supposed to get. To all the people say they can't survive without tips, how is what you saying different then what the bum on the street telling me? I treat tips same as I treat bums, I feel like giving then I give - I don't feel like it then I don't give. But stop pretending that expecting a tip is anything different then expecting a donation - because tipping is donating money, nothing more nothing less.

To everyone that don't want to feel cheap, donate whatever you want to feel better. To everyone that believes wholeheartedly in tipping, donate whtever you want. Just don't try to make others do want you want them to or to do the same as you doing - that's going too far.

To everyone that don't want to tip and feel that the waiters will treat them bad if you don't tip, you better spend your money elsewhere, somewhere that appreciates your money tip or no tip - spend your money where you'll be appreciated.

That's why I switched to Public Mobile, I feel they appreciate my money by giving me the best value for cell service in Canada, they don't make me feel bad or cheap for not giving them more money - everyone should use their buying power to support companies that treat give better value for our dollars.

Mayor / Maire

@villellamcmeans  So agree with you that  no one should feel pressured whether to leave a tip or not, nor what percentage they feel comfortable leaving. However, I don't think it was necessary to include reference to 'pigs' which seems to me to be both unkind and irrelevant to the topic at hand.

@dabr wrote:

@villellamcmeans  So agree with you that  no one should feel pressured whether to leave a tip or not, nor what percentage they feel comfortable leaving. However, I don't think it was necessary to include reference to 'pigs' which seems to me to be both unkind and irrelevant to the topic at hand.

@dabrJust want to explain my choosing the term 'pigs', so you and others don't misunderstand why I used that term, I used it because I felt it was necessary to properly describe what I mean.

There is a culture and mindset that needs to be exposed and identified for what it is, and that is pig culture - the normalization and acceptance of bullying, shaming, oppressing, victimizing, etc, whether it be by those in authority positions or not. When I use the term pig, it's not just about bad cops and bad polititians, but anyone in any position that does the same things or supports the same things.

To be clear, I don't include honest cops and honest politians in the same categaory as pigs, but the sad truth in this world is that the pigs have long ruined the reputation of the police and most governments a long time ago - and in this age of cell phone cameras, more and more recordings and prooving what many already knew and suspected long ago, that the police and politicians are nothing special to be worshiped or bowed down to they are just human beings like the rest of us.

The pig culture would have us belive in a propaganda and rhetoric that teaches us to never question authority, never question the badge - but that is just creating a cult/gang culture that they accuse others they percecute/prosecute of doing.  History is full of examples - resisdential schools, sterilizing the mentalty disabled, outlawing gambling/alchohol/weed/gays/etc, consetration camps during WW1 and WW2, death penalties, etc. Recently not much has changed as movements like 'black lives matter' and 'me too' have shown, videos of police killing people and police beating people, american presidents authorizing torture, american internet companies spying on us as Snowden exposed - I only mention the american incidents here because listing all the dictatorships such as China etc would take too long.

Anyways, I would like to regain confidence in the police and governments again like I had as a child growing up always cheering for the cops over the robbers in cartoons and movies, but the truth/genie is already out of the bottle - reality is not what the cartoons and comic books are, there are just as many or more of the bad cops/polititians as there are good, just like how there are just as many good people on this earth as bad.

I appreciate that the good  honest cops/politicians are working hard to regain the confidence of the public and try to right many of the wrongs pigs wearing their uniforms have committed, but working towards that ideal is far far away - so I have to call things as they are, pig culture exists just as honest cops/polititians exists too, I don't think it's unkind or unrealevant to say so.  If I use the word pig often, it is because the pigs have ruined the reputation of the gang they represent beyond repair for now, it only takes a few bad apples to ruin the whole batch - but that's how stereotypes are created, accurate sterotypes as well as inaccurate stereotypes.

Well said ! 

Mr. Pink's opinion on tipping is again a very interesting one that you can check out. Watched Reservoir Dogs recently and came upon this thread and it brought the scene right back to me.

Oracle

I go out to eat a lot, particularly in weekends.  I am a regular at many places.  Regular patronage means the service and food is good and worthy of repeat business.  Tipping is automatic and at "standard rate".  For places not frequented regularly, tipping is merit based and not automatic.  Alcohol servers get reduced tipping if at all.  There's little merit for twisting a cap off a bottle.  Product quality is not determined by the server.  Social aspects are never a consideration.  I don't go out to eat because I want to do my part in job creation. 

@Costello_P wrote:

Well said ! 

Mr. Pink's opinion on tipping is again a very interesting one that you can check out. Watched Reservoir Dogs recently and came upon this thread and it brought the scene right back to me.

Yeah, Reservoir Dogs and Steve Buscini are my favorites too! As for Mr Pink opinion about not doing things just because society tell you too and not being a slave of society, thank you for reminding me of his quote!

Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

TIPPING...everyone is different on how much....personal preference...always reminds me of the old leper/ prostitute joke...enough said...😀

ckl
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I'd say I tip 98% of the time and I don't tip when service is really bad. My tips rates are the average of what the expected tip percentages are at the time. So, a while back ago, that average was about 10%, now it is 15%.

Why do I tip? Because I can. And I understand that the servers are making poverty wages in the most expensive city to live in... Vancouver/Metro Vancouver area. In many cases these servers are also students. Having to study and work at the same time is tough as I found out personally during my schooling years. My thinking is that these tips I give are really my charity donations. Rather than give money to some charity organization and rely on them to distribute it as they see fit (sometimes a certain percentage of that goes to administration, AKA, executive compensation), I'd rather give the money directly to people myself. As I am Canadian, I help Canadians first. Recently, in the news, it was said that 48% of Canadians are $200 away from insolvency! That is a sad and sobering state of affairs and I'm sure lucky that I'm not in that situation. I cannot fathom the stress and worry that a sudden and unexpected turn of events, such as car maintenance, could put you into a sitation where you will not be able to cover your monthly expenses.