Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tipping

kav2001c
Mayor / Maire

Here's another loaded subject

Tipping

Some people refuse to do it, others use a low percentage, others insist on high percentage regardless of service due to "feeling bad" for the servers

So how much do you normally leave?

Do you tip just at restaurants, or other places (eg Coffee shops, Fastfood, heck even Oil Change places and Grocery Stores ask these days)

National Post just ran a story about how alcohol servers in Canada are pulling in $100,000 per year from tips

https://nationalpost.com/news/the-100000-a-year-waitress-isnt-a-myth-some-hard-truths-about-tipping-...

32 REPLIES 32

The issues with % is it has nothing to do with work

If you buy a $30 bottle of wine you leave $4.50 tip

If you buy a $100 bottle of wine you leave $15 tip

Same server doing same work yet huge diff in what is "expected"

Same issue with a more pricey restaurant vs one where you used a coupon etc

And what happens at say a buffet where you are self serving?

Or better still; if you eat faster (letting server serve more tables per hour) should you then reduce tip amount since less work? (refills or courses or etc)

Peronally, I hate being felt required to leave a tip, but that of course is from the customer's point of view.  If from what someone has told me is accurate, in some other countries (Australia for example), tips are not expected and that it's actually the exception to leave one.

For me, I always thought of things as 15% (of the after tax total), so no there's no way think that you're being "cheap".  But honestly, we've usually done something even $10 or $20 on a $50 check.  That's probably overpaying but sometimes, it just seems simpler to leave an even amount.  Then again, me and friend of mine also have done someting equally cheap and bad in the sense if we feel that we've been ignored the whole night, or if we have to ask 2 or 3 times for the bill, and even have to go as far as asking a different server for our bill, we have left 1 cent tips (not regulary, but maybe 1 or 2 times in a 5 year period).

I think that it gets a little more complicated if you become a regular at a restaurant.  If you normally give 20 to 30% tips, I think they come to expect it, and if you suddenly leave only 15%, they think they've done something wrong or that you unhappy.  In reality, sometimes, you just can't afford to be giving a higher percentage each and every time.

Some of the larger companies and brands (including frachises) forbid employees from taking tips. 

Need Help? Let's chat.