cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telus is not hurting: 2020 Annual Report

JK8
Mayor / Maire

The next time someone mentions that Public Mobile is suffering due to their rewards model think again…

 


….TELUS is a dynamic, world-leading communications technology company with $16 billion in annual revenue and 16 million customer connections…..

 

https://assets.ctfassets.net/rz9m1rynx8pv/RhDeVJUMvjqrFwVycTU5L/9465279e0154bccef0d00c926b3794bf/TEL...

11 REPLIES 11

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Who thought they are hurting?

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

They may not be hurting, but they sure do want to make money, so they'll come after this brand to maximize profits.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@0PX9O4 

 

I’ve seen posts where it’s been mentioned that PM is losing too much $ on their referral program.

@JK8 (edited Tag got the wrong member) it is a business of course they are out to make money.  Each division will have targets they need to meet and if they don't Telus will put someone in the position that can meet those targets. 

 

I am sure Telus is finding out that customers are staying too long with PM and aren't moving up the ladder as they had hoped and the loyalty reward $$$ payout is increasing.  Just because they have 16B in revenue doesn't mean they are going to give away free service.  There is a reason they make that much plus they have to answer to their shareholders as well.

 

I think we should feel lucky that we even have the opportunity to lower our bill as much as we do.  What are other providers doing for their customers?  I am sure they all have very large yearly revenues as well.

 


I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

WoozyPolarBear
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

 

I think we should feel lucky that we even have the opportunity to lower our bill as much as we do.  What are other providers doing for their customers?  I am sure they all have very large yearly revenues as well.


No, sorry. TELUS should feel lucky that we as consumers CHOSE to do business with them and pay them with our hard earned money. We don't owe TELUS any favors. I'm so sick and tired of corporate shills out there acting like consumers should be thankful, when it's the other way around.


@WoozyPolarBear wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:

 

I think we should feel lucky that we even have the opportunity to lower our bill as much as we do.  What are other providers doing for their customers?  I am sure they all have very large yearly revenues as well.


No, sorry. TELUS should feel lucky that we as consumers CHOSE to do business with them and pay them with our hard earned money. We don't owe TELUS any favors. I'm so sick and tired of corporate shills out there acting like consumers should be thankful, when it's the other way around.


Not trying to be a shill ... but why do you choose to stay with Public Mobile (Telus)?

 

For me the answer is simple. It's the best deal in town, the bottom line, the lowest possible cost for the same product/service I could subscribe to anywhere else. I choose to stay with Public Mobile because it's cheaper than any comparable offering on the market. I don't owe Telus (or any other heartless big corporation) my business. But I certainly won't try to undermine their efforts to make me pay them less than I'd pay anywhere else, lol.

darkomega
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@ShawnC13 wrote:

@JK8 (edited Tag got the wrong member) it is a business of course they are out to make money.  Each division will have targets they need to meet and if they don't Telus will put someone in the position that can meet those targets. 

 

I am sure Telus is finding out that customers are staying too long with PM and aren't moving up the ladder as they had hoped and the loyalty reward $$$ payout is increasing.  Just because they have 16B in revenue doesn't mean they are going to give away free service.  There is a reason they make that much plus they have to answer to their shareholders as well.

 

I think we should feel lucky that we even have the opportunity to lower our bill as much as we do.  What are other providers doing for their customers?  I am sure they all have very large yearly revenues as well.


honestly id be happy if they altered the points plan to make the savings just a bit better, then id be willing to take the slight hit knowing I might not achieve a 0 bill but next to it is good enough for me, but for now, I will not switch they just made it so I'm paying a few cents difference from their competition when I would have just been happy paying 8-10$ for my current plan if the points system was altered on the loyalty side over time, that would encourage me to dump the extra into Addons and the like so they'd still make the difference up from customers like me regardless and I won't feel like my wallet is any worse off, you know just meet us lower end-users in the middle at the very least.

Dgraziani
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I dont know who said Telus is hurting but looking at the balance sheets they are doing very well and diversifying also going into telus health. They seem to be growing at a slightly faster rate than bell and rogers. I like Telus

dna2016
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@JK8 I don't think anyone said that PM was suffering, but moreso that they were seeing easy money go out that backend.  In that massive report I don't think it broke down the data of PM revenue and outflow, just Telus Corp collectively. Would have been interesting to see PM's contribution to the entity. But at the end of the day PM doesn't operate like a conventional telecommunications company, it's a do it yourself, no brick and mortar, originally no cell phones but they've slightly branched out to include limited supply refurbished cell phones. So from Telus Corp perspective any revenue PM brings in is just additional gravy.  However, from the PM leadership point of view they need to find ways to evolve and be an even more positive contributor to increasing shareholder value with increased revenue. One way is to of course increase the cost of plans, but there's very high risk that many who are currently with PM wouldn't stay if the prices were increased on them by a certain amount.  Sooooooooooo, the next best thing is, how can we reduce the outflow (money going out the backend), and retain that in our revenue stream.......awwwwww change the rewards. So instead of the average customer being able to save let's say $10 a month on the current rewards plan, they'll instead be saving let's say $7 a month. They're still saving a decent amount that would encourage them to activate a service with us, and we immediately generate an additional 30% revenue stream to Telus Corp that positively contributes to shareholder value, and by letting our existing customers maintain their existing rewards (for now) that they've always loved, we mitigate the risk of large increased retention issues. Telus has always been a very good telecommunications company especially out west, and making really good profits so this isn't really surprising. But it appears PM now wants to be a slightly bigger player in the Telus Corp family, and the only way you do that is by bringing in more revenue, increase your value, and show great retention numbers. This current move to a new points system just might do that. Now let's see if they mess that all up by forcing all existing customers to switch, there goes your retention *fingers crossed they don't*.