cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad to Leave but there is a great offer outthere for same money!

EltonB
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello guys,

I wanted to thank the community and PM. I was one of those Fall Promo plans 40$ 4gb LTE a few years ago. While for that time the PM offer was the best value for the money, it saddens me to say that at present time, it has fallen behind alot and its too expensive for what the offer was.

I ported out today to Phonebox for 40$ 10gb LTE plan of their offering. 6gb monthly more is a huge deal for me.

Anyways, I want to thank all the @CS_Agent for the quick and thorough responses they have provided to me privately. 

I want to thank the community too, even though I have not posted much.

Thanks guys!

83 REPLIES 83

@Anonymous 

Lol....you're too quick for me! I had a working draft of my post.....and I accidently hit post after copying it!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I wondered why you posted that here. 🙂

sigh

Madison_07
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Sad to see you go

Okay I've observed my connection for a week and I've come to a conclusion...

it's pretty much the same with or without CloudFlare...

@darlicious 

I've actually been experiencing similar slowdowns even when CloudFlare is disabled :(.

I started experiencing it again today at work. it's just not as bad. I guess it's because of our rainy weather...

I still believe we need a higher throttle limit. my overall connection is better with CloudFlare disabled. 

@Pawprints1986 

I believe @gpixel was finding the throttled 4G LTE was really slow but once he got rid of cloudfare it solved all the issues he was having.

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@gpixel I'm confused, what difference in LTE ? Did you try a phone box plan, or you're noticing difference with PM LTE? 🤔

EltonB

@Anonymous Absolutely I will. 😀

Anonymous
Not applicable

@EltonB : Let us know when they raise the rates on you, not grandfathering. 🙂

EltonB

Update! Not that anyone asked for it! 😀

Hey guys, 

I wanted to do an update to Phonebox plans. It seems that they introduced esims and cut the savings and put some new plans which wiped out the savings. 🙄 Whoever got the discounted plans, got them. 🙃

well... what a difference! my LTE connection feels amazing! no more disconnects and all websites are running very well. 

but... we still need an increase ‌😉‌. 

lol to be honest, I would have to say no... even for media rich websites it's doing well... 

CloudFlare ‌👎‌ 

EltonB

@BearFBI Telus isnt even matching the Rogers offers on Phonebox, let alone giving that to PM. 😞

BearFBI

@gpixel It only affects wireline based internet resellers NOT wireless. 

It'll affect loads of telecoms. Where we are, eastlink has all of our cable infrastructure and resellers sell it. I'm with a local one that's been treating me well for a few years now but I might be in for a price increase. 

I dont have many options other than cable so this is bad for me... the only other type of wireline service we can get is Bell DSL and Bell Fiber. DSL is open to resellers but it SUCKS and I don't get fiber in my area. Also Fiber is not open for resellers so If I want Fiber I have to go with the ONLY telecom that offers it and that's Bell. 

Looks like there forcing me to go with the only two big telecoms that make monopolies in my area. 

This deal was also supposed to open Fiber to resellers, Not just cheaper prices... disappointing. 

@Pawprints1986 

I thought this only affected the wholesale prices for vmedia and other cheap internet providers.

either way this shouldn't effect the possibility of pm upgrading to a higher throttle speed.

this is something that needs to be done. if internet prices are going to rise, I see that as a higher potential for pm to eventually get full speed LTE. the telecoms will need to offer a cheaper alternative (3rd tier).

3rd tier prices could also increase along with everything else, but they will need to offer something more appealing.

@BearFBI 

oh you're also using CloudFlare?

ya definitely delete the DNS settings and use the automatic function. you'll definitely see an improvement. then try enabling your VPN again.

@darlicious

it's websites that are the issue. they all have ads now. I don't visit social media sites much. but when I do, it struggles loading images etc. or if a website isn't stored in my cache. 

Pawprints1986

Guys I'm not sure I'd hold my breath on faster speeds or lower prices/better deals

This is for internet but it's almost always hand in hand, can't see internet prices going up while mobility offers better deals, just fyi :

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.cp24.com/news/2021/5/27/1_5445541.html

@BearFBI 

Well no one wants the ads but if you don't need the images or the image quality then disable it. Why waste that data? My data usage spiked suddenly and I couldn't figure why when I wasn't doing anything different until I realized pc optimum had added video content to the app. Once I turned them off in the app's account settings my data usage went back to normal.

BearFBI

@gpixel You got it. It's those DARN ads and high quality images, Sites without that load instantly.

Hmm that's interesting. Mabey I'll try disabling cloudflare. 

You may be right. Well probably get a throttle increase to around 10mbps or possibly more. Seems around the right time to do that in 2022 with all the consumers going for 5G. 

@BearFBI 

yeah I hear ya... I agree, the 3mb is still too slow now... there are way too many ads and high quality images to load.

my connection has been really consistent after disabling cloudflare. I learned when my device is showing LTE it's not using mimo. for whatever reason it was causing connection issues with that DNS server when LTE+ wasn't being utilized.

the phonebox plans are only promos... good ones though. if the telecoms follow past timelines, I think we'll get an increase in speed by the end of this year or mid 2022.

BearFBI

@gpixel VPN wasn't impacting speeds but it was impacting something elese I guess. Annoying that I have to deal with this throttled data buisness but hey, I'm stuck with PM. 

PM can't match the 40$ 10GB plan and the price of that will only go down with time.... It's not really phonebox doing a good job, It's Rogers. Rogers is offering some pretty competitive deals. Most of their deals aren't on their site but there accesable through places like PhoneBox. PM will eventually have to tweak their plans slightly to stay competitive with Rogers and its branded resellers. 

@BearFBI 

it may be a good idea to turn off your VPN. I don't recommend using one with PM's throttled data.

I think I may have finally figured out why I was having intermittent connection and it had something to do with CloudFlare DNS. I have since changed it back to automatic and I have to say, it seems all is well in pm world again 👍. I'll see how the connection is when I go to work. but, so far it's much better with no inconsistencies 🤞

PM can't match the $40/10gb plan. this phonebox company is doing a good job. hopefully the third tier will add full LTE speed and volte in order to compete. 

EltonB

@Luddite You from UK? 😀 hows that giffgaff haha

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

Their UK offer is giffgaff.com. If anyone wants it contact me, so I get the reward rather than gophonebox! 🤣

Plus, if you activate with autopay you can get 5G. Of course, turn off autopay once the plan starts. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@EltonB Yes I saw, I had shown my friends and family if it would be of interest to them. I dont need all that data, I barely even use my 1gb lol and I am very happy with PM. But the plan you had found is a solid deal. 

EltonB

@stevenanto Its still available for anyone. Thanks!

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

wow that is a totally solid deal, congrats on the find. 

EltonB

And I just got one month free together with my referral. Weeeeeee 😀

EltonB

@Anonymous haha yea, when I walk.

Anonymous
Not applicable

My international A31 has radio. Wow...people listen to radio still? 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.