cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad to Leave but there is a great offer outthere for same money!

EltonB
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hello guys,

I wanted to thank the community and PM. I was one of those Fall Promo plans 40$ 4gb LTE a few years ago. While for that time the PM offer was the best value for the money, it saddens me to say that at present time, it has fallen behind alot and its too expensive for what the offer was.

I ported out today to Phonebox for 40$ 10gb LTE plan of their offering. 6gb monthly more is a huge deal for me.

Anyways, I want to thank all the @CS_Agent for the quick and thorough responses they have provided to me privately. 

I want to thank the community too, even though I have not posted much.

Thanks guys!

83 REPLIES 83

EltonB

@darlicious Haha for real, i gotta watch out 🤣

@EltonB 

Interesting....my NA moto g7+ comes with fm radio. My international galaxy A3 does not but there are 3 available in galaxy apps to download.

Look you multi-task! Waliking, listening to radio and posting at the same time! Look out for that fountain ahead of you!😃

EltonB

@BearFBI @darlicious my A71 has FM radio and I am using it as I walk right now. Sad that they remove it from NA variants because they want you to use internet for radio services. 🙄

EltonB

@@darlicious haha my bad 🤣

@EltonB 

Lol.....and I'm an "een"! Either way its not that common of a name. I noticed a "cousin" joined the community yesterday.... @stephalicious ! lol!...🤣🤣

EltonB

@darlicious Sry, I tagged you wrongly before as darlene 🙄

BearFBI
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@darlicious said - "If this thread hadn't been sent to the abyss ( the lounge) by request @BearFBI  (lol!😃) you would have probably earned a community reward!"

I probably would've got a reward as well or a higher one. I've never been this active in a while. 

EltonB

@BearFBI Yea, I bought it on ebay as brand new but was from Vietnam. A71 with 8gb.

@darleneNo family has PM😀 and I have left.

@EltonB 

If this thread hadn't been sent to the abyss ( the lounge) by request @BearFBI  (lol!😃) you would have probably earned a community reward!

Hmmmm....I wonder if one changed their community profile's email address to an active customers account email if they would get your reward....I believe they would! ie. a friend or family member who does not already have a community profile using their current self serve's email address.

BearFBI

@EltonB Hmm that may be why. Samsung and international variants are a struggle. They make everything so hard. 

It might be possible If the CSC code was switched to rogers but I'm not too sure.

@EltonB 

Is your device the international version vs the north american version?

EltonB

I cant believe I am posting more now that I left than all those years with PM haha.

EltonB

@BearFBI If Phonebox can offer those plans and share the profit with Telus or Rogers, PM can offer those plans too but they simply dont care. 

Good question about WifiCalling and Volte. I tried to sign up for wifi calling but I am using a A71 device bought from outside of Canada so I got a text from Rogers saying they dont support it. I guess I need to buy a device in Canada. Even though my device supports both wifi and volte.

BearFBI

@darlicious That's not really possible from a technical prospective. I think PM has something to do with it..... They could have introduced better optimization with their 3G speed data. Still doesn't mean that can't be done with full speed.

In fact Alexander from dotmobile himself even said that throttled bandwidth can slightly use more data. This is coming from a guy that's starting a carrier and has 10 years of experience in that field. 

When I'm connected to my VPN that I host at home, I still get the same 3mbps up and down and my ping only increases by 10ms over mobile data, the VPN is not impacting speeds at all. 

@BearFBI 

I disagree with your comment on data usage vs data speed as I've performed several "speed" tests in the past to prove higher usage vs noticeable data speed by "watching" the same video from youtube on both throttled and unthrottled 4G LTE. Video content will use more data at full speed....if I remember correctly it was about 33% more usage.

That's not to say that for your purposes sites load much slower and the use of a VPN will slow down data speed considerably and I stopped using mine once my IP address at home changed and it was no longer the subject of a ban by the pm community censor.

BearFBI

Ah I got my awnser to my question.

I contacted support and the don't have VoLTE or visual voicemail but they do offer WiFi Calling if your device supports it. 

Pretty neat. 

BearFBI

@Anonymous Yes remote viewing is in a lower resolution. 

10mbps upload for home internet ain't much but it definitely works for remote viewing over another high ish speed wifi network. Ive put my setup to the test. 

Over PM data, It works but man is loading it ever slow. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@BearFBI : Interesting setup. Just thinkin' out loud here...could you have higher resolution for local surveillance and recording and then lower the resolution for when you're remote? You're just having a peek when remote so it doesn't need to be perfect.

BearFBI

@EltonB Does Phone Box have VoLTE or any other specialty features like visual voicemail ?

I'm guessing it doesn't but I'm curious if it does. 

BearFBI

@darlicious said - "Honestly were a bunch of thrifty muckers around here. The only measurable difference I notice when using my full speed 4G LTE account vs my throttled 4G  LTE account is higher data usage. Meh.... if I'm going to watch a movie or play a video game I will do that on my big screen tv!"

Anyways, Let's try posting this a second time.... 

First of all, I don't watch moives or play video games on my data, I agree with you, I'd want to do that at home on a big screen Tv. I mostly check social media, browse the web, use Google maps, listen to music, RDP into my desktop at home sometimes, and check on my survalience station through my NAS. 

Here's the thing, 3mbps is definitely noticeably slower. When I'm browsing the web, Things like loading a webpage can take a while sometimes, loading gogle maps with sattelite view is extremely painful endless the maps are downloaded, When I'm connected to my NAS through my VPN it's REALLY slow trying to load a live view of my cameras. Sometimes I wish I was just connected to wifi when I'm out and about. 

3mbps just can't cut it in 2021, Mabey it could in 2019 but things have evolved. I'd be happy even if the throttle was adjusted to 10mbps. 

In terms of data usage, Throttled speeds and fast speeds are no different. When your doing a task they both use the same about of data usage, just unthrottled speeds do the task faster. 

@BearFBI 

He's back!!   **poof**

BearFBI

What the !

I just replied to @darlicious and it posted, but when I went to go edit it, after I posted it totally kicked me out of the thread and now the post is gone. 

Pawprints1986

That PB place has the grandfathered promo plan that was here for 2gb $30 that I'm on, on full LTE. 

I wonder if PM may end up bringing it back for those who missed it? Hmm... 

And they have a 20gb plan. Woah, lol. At times I struggle to use 2gb and just use it cuz I can but also don't want to give it up especially when life is back to normal

@EltonB 

Better the evil overlord you do know than the one don't.....or the one you regretted meeting and barely escaped from to battle a another day with......the CCTS at your side!💀

@BearFBI 

Honestly were a bunch of thrifty muckers around here. The only measurable difference I notice when using my full speed 4G LTE account vs my throttled 4G  LTE account is higher data usage. Meh.... if I'm going to watch a movie or play a video game I will do that on my big screen tv!

BearFBI

Screenshot_20210520-220525_Chrome.jpg

Sounds like there exclusively talking about the little 3 lol.

But seriously, We need 4G speed by now. Other companies can pull it off at the same if not cheaper prices. It's not an unrealistic thing, It just shows how little PM cares about providing anything special. 

EltonB

@BearFBI PM is part of Telus bro. They all overlords 😀.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Check out this self-serving "opinion" piece in the G&M.

@BearFBI 

Exactly! Dot mobile is interested in shaking up the market and offering real competition. Rogers is gobbling up the competition because believes that there is already too much competition and that as a behemoth in the industry it will offer Canadians better mobility rates and service.

Anyone who has had to pour over a rogers/fido bill each month for billing "mistakes" (always in their favour) hidden fees, uncapped overages and plain old shady business practices should know what is actually behind the mask of these self proclaimed do- gooders of the future of the Canadian mobility market.

Escape the clutches of the evil overlord!

EltonB

@BearFBI Problem with Telus is that they offer less gbs. Rogers seem to offer more deals and gbs.

BearFBI

@darlicious I'm not sure if I've ever heard a peep from rogers about dotmobile.... 

All you hear is Telus/Bell. 

Plus Dotmobile has made no efforts in talking to the big 3 directly. It's all about them forcing the CRTC to offer lower wholesale rates. 

If Dotmobile wanted to, They could partner with a carrier and offer service but it may not be what we all visioned it to be in terms of price. 

So im not sure if Rogers is against it or not. 

Need Help? Let's chat.