cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International calling, roaming

publicsteve1
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I'm a bit fuzzy on cell phone roaming. Public doesn't offer any roaming packages for Europe, and I think this means that it just isn't possible to make and receive calls and text messages while in Europe, right? ( a roaming package isn't just to save money, it is not even possible without it, right?). I would use an eSim for data anyway, but for calls to landlines I would need to use Skype, and for regular text messages I just won't get them or be able to send them... do I understand this correctly? Is Skype the way people usually cover this?

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

Terryscell
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I used Giffgaff, a UK mobile phone company. They mailed my free SIM card to Canada(!), and for 5 Pounds (about $8) and up, I got 5G service, unlimited calls and texts, and roaming to many EU countries. An alternative is Lebara, though they only mail SIM to UK address.

For free calls back to Canada, we used Fongo.

sheytoon
Mayor / Maire

@publicsteve1 your understanding is correct

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@publicsteve1 

Other than service in canada, the only other country that you can get service via roaming is the USA.

So when you're outside of these countries you need to purchase a local prepaid sim card to access web-based services or local Wi-Fi in areas where that is available.

Need Help? Let's chat.