cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PlayStation Portal and IPhone Mobile Hotspot

KrisAsteroid
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Certainly does. Turns on the PS5 but won’t give me access. Just a message on the PS portal saying can’t connect because of an issue. 

thanks for your help. I’ll get on PlayStation and will update the thread for anyone else with the issue. 

6 REPLIES 6

DerpyTheCat
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

Did you ever figure out a resolution to this issue? Just got the PS Portal and also just switched to Public Mobile. I’m able to connect to the hotspot but I can’t get the Portal to actually connect to the PS5. 

KrisAsteroid

Thanks. I tried all that. Pretty sure I tried everything I could find on the web. 
I guess bad news. 

My brother came by yesterday and he has a Rogers 5g plan. Tried his hotspot on his android, and it worked connected no issues. Checked the Nat settings. And it was a 2. 

put his sim in my phone. Connected and had a nat setting of 2. 

my sim in his android. Turned on the PS5 again but didn’t give me access and got the error.  Nat setting of 3. 

I suppose that is the reason. The portal needs a Nat setting of 2 or 1.  When using my public mobile plan it makes the NAT setting 3. And I don’t believe I am able to get it changed to a NAT 2. 

fujiyama
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This reddit thread has some good info, maybe it'll help you: https://www.reddit.com/r/PlaystationPortal/comments/18jlg6p/ps_portal_wont_connect_to_hotspot/ 

KrisAsteroid

Just attempted this while having the ps5 connected to LAN and Wifi. Tried each setting 5GHZ and 2.4GHZ forced settings on the PS5 while connected to LAN. And also did not each one while the PS5 was connected to Wifi. For each attempt separate attempt to connect I put my iPhone hotspot settings on maximum compatibility and also attempted with the maximum setting turned off. Also restarted iPhone 12 and ps5 before each attempt.

none of the settings attempted would make the portal have access to the PS5. But each attempt would be able to awake the PS5 while connecting but would fail before I could control/play the PS5. 

I restarted both the iPhone 12 and Ps5 before each attempt of every setting. 

KrisAsteroid

The Ps5 is connected by LAN to my router with port forwarding open. 

the portal only works by ps remote play technically. 

When the portal is connected to my iPhone hotspot it is trying to control my PS5 through my internet provider. iPhone hotspot connected to PS portal, and PS5 lan connection to internet provider. Through some kind of technology magic 🙂 should let me play my PS5. 
The portal connects to my hotspot fine with full 5g bars. Enough that when I monitor at home my PS5 connects together enough that the system boots up. So it is working. But as it continues to “connect” to gain access to the ps5 from the portal, it doesn’t work and the portal gives an error. After that if I don’t try to access it again the PS5 shuts down. 

I will see if I can change the wifi settings (if I can through my lan connection) and see if it works. 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@KrisAsteroid 

maybe something to do with the 5Ghz or 2.4Ghz you are using?

Why won t my PlayStation 5 connect to my hotspot?

If you click options button on your controller and click frequency setting and change to 5GHz, make sure your phone hotspot is also 5Ghz or if ypur phone can only use 2.4GHz, then select that on both your hotspot and PS5

And take out special characters out of hotspot name and password
Remove spaces and punctuation in the iPhone device name it will work after.

Need Help? Let's chat.