cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Public & Freedom: Plan Discussion

ipro31
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Right now I have the previous in-market Public plan that's no longer available. It's the "Canada-US 75GB" $40/m plan. (Public is my primary carrier).

Then, I have a 2nd line with Freedom. It's a "WinBack Canada-US 50GB" $29/m plan.

I also just got a 3rd line from Freedom. It's a "Canada-US-Mexico 100MB" $5/m plan.

-------

Freedom now has a new $40 plan, it's identical to my WinBack plan except it gives Mexico for $11 more each month. If I barely go to Mexico I guess it's common sense to stick to that WinBack plan right?

I might wait for the deals to get better. Since I don't really need Mexico for the $11 price hike, Freedom would have to add Roam Beyond to entice me to get out of that WinBack plan. Maybe Freedom will do something even better.

P.S. - So far I'm finding Freedom has full bars in most areas. 5G is consistently working and stays during a call. Speed test is reliable at about 80mbps download.

With Public, bars are low and 5G not as reliable. Speed test can be 200mbps download but then next test will be 2 or 3mbps download. 

Once being outside literally Public couldn't load Google. Freedom worked great. It's sad to see what happened to the Telus network.

My uncle with Telus has similar issues and he's with Telus! He got Freedom and was very pleased with the improvements in Hamilton Ancaster areas.

I live in Aurora - Richmond Hill area. Service with Freedom has always been great. Dead spots in Richmond Hill seems to be gone. Crazy to imagine Freedom appears to have a stronger network than Telus. 

6 REPLIES 6

EB0
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Luddite 

Telus and Bill don’t support WiFi calling outside Canada, but Freedom supports it outside Canada, I haven’t tried, may people on Reddit confirm it.

@EB0  You should double check wifi calling outside Canada. Some carriers, at least in the UK,  consider that a roaming feature and deny calling. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

EB0
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

I have a similar issue in my area, Freedom operates way better than Public Mobile, Telus knows that without any real solution for a long time.

I have a couple of lines with public mobile, one of them on $15 100 minutes 250mb, the rest are higher plans, I have freedom $149 yearly plan and consider getting another line on $5 new plan.

According to RFD, many customer were able to get the $5 plan without $10 SIM/activation fee when they opt for eSIM,

$5 plan has WiFi calling which allows to receive SMS and incoming calls overseas without any extra roaming charges.

I’m waiting for Black Friday and Boxing Day offers from Public Mobile and Freedom.

@anotheran  You can test their coverage for $5/month plus $10 SIM. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

anotheran
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Based on your experience, very little reason to keep public mobile. I'm curious if freedom is good in the places I regularly go

ipro31
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

I'm still sticking to Public for now. Freedom is just an insurance policy at this time if I ever need to port out. I would leave Public if the service issues persist 1yr later or if Freedom just adds such perks Public could never match them I see it being worth while to port.

For the next while, I will stick with Public. The main thing for discussion would be anything pertaining to the plans. 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.