cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible Public Mobile RoadMap?

fixin
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Remember when Public Points was introduced in 2022? Or VoLTE & 5G in 2023? Here is what I think that the Public Mobile roadmap for the future is:

2024: Wi-Fi Calling - Google Pixel users have the option but it 404's out on the TELUS website. There has also been numerous rumours about this coming This Summer

These are some of my roumers in the Next couple of years:

2025: 5G+ - There is 5G+ symbol on iOS 17.4 B4 where there is 3500mhz band. Speeds surge at 300mbps.

2026: Family Plans - People primarily put their children on Public Mobile since it is cheap.

2027: International roaming to Telus's 73+ countries that are currently available on the TELUS Easy Roam, but on a package system similar to the current Canada-US packages from the add-on section.

2028: Faster reduced speed cap

2029: 5G mmWave - The Canadian government is preparing for the release of the millimetre wave band in Canada, it could also be called 5G Ultra Capacity (5G UC.)

2030: VoNR - Voice over New radio (5G) will greatly improve voice quality (Most likely from HD calls to 4K audio calls)

Possible 2033: 6G (Sixth Gen) cell data.

How do you think I did it?

5 REPLIES 5

Lyteforce
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@Luddite - here I am resurrecting a week-old post, yet I had this same conversation with someone this past weekend.

My interest in WiFi calling has more to do with poor reception/no reception than it does with call/data volume/restrictions. For instance, I've often found that due to poor reception within the interior of my workplace the call quality suffers significantly. The moment I started using WiFi calling as a backup, that problem disappeared almost instantly. Another example is when I make a trip up to my in-laws place - they live at the edge of reception (to the point I'd suggest they are almost off-grid) and WiFi calling still gives me the means to reach people via my phone.

fixin

@Luddite - Yes, I now almost think a 3GB for $15 is better than that, but Sasktel has a data only offer: 1GB then unlimited at reduced speeds for $10; I would hope for the data only plans that may be supported with Tablets & phones. No calls or texts.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

What's the interest in wifi calling? All but the 10/15 plans are unlimited calling anyway. 
A data only 3 gb $15 plan holds more interest for me. Then I can use VoIP for cellular and wifi calling. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

fixin

@Handy1 - Yes, I hope so too!

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@fixin  I sure hope your predictions are correct especially the 5G+ part 

Need Help? Let's chat.