cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pocophone F1

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

Anyone have this phone or know someone who does.  I am interested in it https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/xiaomi-pocophone-f1

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

42 REPLIES 42

atwest
Good Neighbour / Bon Voisin

Thank you all for your replies, this has been most helpful!

AdamJay
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Can confirm that Pocophone F1 Global version works in Canada and is capable of achieving LTE speeds with major carriers, and definitely on Bell's and Telus's networks (since Telus uses Bell's network), which means Public Mobile's network too (Telus owns PM). 

The only limitation is that because it cannot connect to any towers broadcasting a Band 4 frequency, LTE in rural areas can be spotty. Luckily, most towers across Canada broadcast both Band 4 and 7 or 5, so you'll be able to achieve LTE under most circumstances, especially in areas with more towers nearby. I imagine the only time it will really become difficult is if there is some sort of big event going on with thousands of people near you using their devices, congesting the bands. 

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

This phone is from Chinese XiaoMi Redmi brand.

@Triguy wrote:

@Anonymous 

If you use Lineage it negates the Google services including the Play store .  Have a read through this article. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/358166/using-android-without-google-a-kind-of-guide/amp/

GApps are proprietary to google while the base android OS is open source.  All third party roms are build without GApps.  When flashing a third party rom, the option to not install GApps is always available.  Of course, it makes for a pretty bland user experience without it.  If you want to add it, go to open GApps and download the version the suits system partition size and user requirements.  I usually get the nano one which has just the base components like play services and play store.  Other apps can be manually installed as a user app.  Carrying a version of apps like gmail in the system partition is useless as it will be outdated in no time. 

JenL
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Interesting information in the article, thanks!

atwest

Ahh, thanks very much for your reply... this is very reasurring. Much appreciated!

TimeLemon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@atwest wrote:

@TimeLemon

Just curious: Did you actually follow Linus' steps and put stock Android on your Pocophone? I'm wondering how the process went for you and if you manged to complete it successfully using the exact tips he provides?

I've never done anything like this before and I'd be afraid to get stuck on a step and then consequently stuck with a brick that I can't restore back to original settings!

Yep! It took about an hour or two to figure everything out, but I've been enjoying stock android on my Pocophone for about a year now. If you are going to buy a Pocophone and do this, I'd suggest getting the official version of LineageOS, instead of the unofficial version that he linked. He also walks you through rooting the phone with Magisk, but if you are not going to mess with the system files, or if you are not very techie, you don't have to install Magisk (you can just skip that step). Other than that, as long as you follow his guide carefully, you should be able to install it just fine!

atwest

@TimeLemon

Just curious: Did you actually follow Linus' steps and put stock Android on your Pocophone? I'm wondering how the process went for you and if you manged to complete it successfully using the exact tips he provides?

I've never done anything like this before and I'd be afraid to get stuck on a step and then consequently stuck with a brick that I can't restore back to original settings!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @TimeLemon 

Of course there would be no warranty. I'm only doing this on a used phone anyway. Maybe I would just need to get over not being fully integrated into the Google world.

In a different phone than what I have now, I was finally successful in unlocking the bootloader, installing twrp and/or cyanogenmod and installing a ROM. I could find and download/install apk files. Sure. Rather more manual. Rather less trustworthy it seems to me. But I could do it.

I could not figure out getting the Play Store to work so I wonder what part of all this business does Google put up their hands and say do not pass Go.

TimeLemon

I mean, the whole "you are on your own thing" is true with the part where you void your warranty, but in the case of the default playstore apps you can actually get all the necessary ones from opengapps! Linus Tech Tips has a great video on how to install all that stuff on specifically the pocophone (just keep in mind there is an official version of LineageOS now.) However if you are fine with MiUI then I guess there isn't really a reason to switch.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Triguy:

So what part of flashing ROM's "negates" all the Google stuff? Unlocked bootloader? The mere presence of cyanogenmod or twrp? That it isn't an official Android or something? I don't get it. When I did finally manage to install a different ROM on an older phone...it was the Play Store that bothered me. I tried to install all the pieces needed for Play Store but it just didn't seem to want to do it. Or I was failing miserably of course.

Having to go to some uncertain site and download and install files manually all seemed a little untrustworthy to me.

Rather than finding the app in the Play Store and installing it and getting its updates.

So what part.. so I can say to myself...ok...here goes...I'm on my own.

Thanks

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

@Anonymous 

If you use Lineage it negates the Google services including the Play store .  Have a read through this article. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.howtogeek.com/358166/using-android-without-google-a-kind-of-guide/amp/

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TimeLemon 

I dabbled with ROM's on an older 2.3 making it 4.4 or something. It didn't want to run the Play Store properly.

I now have a Samsung S7 that I'm using for other things and would like to put it back to Android 7 rather than the 8 it's currently on.

Would you happen to know if it would stop the Play Store from working? Is it something about an unlocked bootloader or rooted or unofficial OS that negates the proper functioning of Google things?

TimeLemon

You should try putting Lineage OS on your phone like I had mentioned earlier in this thread! It makes the phone even better. There is even an official release of it now on https://www.lineageos.org/ . You can also get a modified version of the Google pixel's camera app so to make the camera even better (it also has a low light mode which increases exposure time.)

legaleli
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just started using my Pocophone F1 about 2 weeks ago with PM.  (Xiaomi Pocophone F1 128GB + 6GB RAM, Dual Camera, 6.18" LTE Factory Unlocked Smartphone - Global Version).

I'm using both SIM slots and using the 3g network on PM.

My initial impressions are as follows:

1) Good screen.  Bright enough to easily use outdoors in daylight.

2) Great battery life and fast charging is around 15 watts.

3) Fast... my friend owns a Samsung S9 which is x2 the price and my Pocophone F1 outscored on all the benchmarks.
4) Not too buggy with the installed apps and it comes with a scanner and memory optimizer and all that so you probably won't need to get all the "side-apps" that you might normally install.

5) You will need a case and screen protector because the case that comes with it is rubbish.

6) Face detection doesn't work out of the box... you need to set the location to Hong Kong, or India, or some other country to unlock that function.  I did that and it doesn't seem to intefere with any apps or operations on the phone.

7) The fingerprint scanner is amazing.

😎 Bluetooth has great range and the wifi is also top shelf.

9) The speakers sound high end for a "budget" smart phone.

10) I can't tell you about LTE or 4G but the 3G chucgs along with no problem and, at least in Newfoundland, the coverage is the same as Telus (and Bell for that matter).

11) The rear camera really is good and the software packaged with the phone can make some very nice portraits BUT it's true that low light photography is not as good as some really expensive phones.

12) Amazon Alexa app works better on this phone than my iPhone X (which drowned in a pool in Mexico recently).

13) No NFC is a little inconvenient because I was getting used to using my phone as a wallet.

Overall this phone feels good to operate.  If you're like me, it's a solid replacement phone until you work up the nerve to jump back into the +1500 dollar phone market.

Darren4

Thanks for info. 

TimeLemon

Yup! All you need to do to get it on PM's network is update the phone's firmware to the newest version. Just make sure you get the global version. I've been really happy with my Pocophone f1, and I have been getting way better signal than my old Moto G3 I had before it.

Darren4

Does it fully work on Public Mobile? Cell network and data? Sorry if I missed the answer. 

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@ShawnC13 wrote:

Anyone have this phone or know someone who does.  I am interested in it https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/xiaomi-pocophone-f1

@ShawnC13 you might want to check out this video from FailTech: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA-rwLA33mA.  Despite a previous glowing review, in this one he points out some things that aren't so great.  The screen for one is apparently quite disapointing (which is unfortunate, since it's about the most commonly used part of the phone really).  Another is he's been having poor signal issues--he did state he was using the global/international version, which I think is the same one most people import here, and of course he's in the UK so using different networks, but it's somethign to be aware of.  EDIT sorry two more things I just rememebered:  updates are an unknown quantitiy, and there are notification issues with MIUI where by default you don't get most notifications.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@srlawren wrote:

@ShawnC13 wrote:
...and they look more like a traditional watch...

@ShawnC13 well, yes, if you consider the Asus Zenwatch/Zenwatch 2 and Apple Watch to be "traditional watches", then this looks a lot like them!  😉  

Okay, okay, I know there are rectangular analog watches too (and in fact I own a "square"ish Tissot watch, though I haven't worn it in ages).  But this Amazfit sure looks like a Zenwatch (and to a lesser extent, [Cr]Apple Watch) rip off to me!!

I guess I should have seen Modern watch and not Traditional lol

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

srlawren

@ShawnC13 wrote:
...and they look more like a traditional watch...

@ShawnC13 well, yes, if you consider the Asus Zenwatch/Zenwatch 2 and Apple Watch to be "traditional watches", then this looks a lot like them!  😉  

Okay, okay, I know there are rectangular analog watches too (and in fact I own a "square"ish Tissot watch, though I haven't worn it in ages).  But this Amazfit sure looks like a Zenwatch (and to a lesser extent, [Cr]Apple Watch) rip off to me!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@TimeLemon wrote:

@srlawren

This is also a really nice watch, but a bit out of my price range, that's all! Maybe something I'd get when I am making a better salary

@TimeLemon, I just ordered to of the Xiaomi Amazfit smart watches.  Can get them on Amazon for $100 and they look more like a traditional watch.  I did buy mine out of China as I bought 2 and it saves me $40. Xiaomi Amazfit Smartwatch

TimeLemon

@srlawren

This is also a really nice watch, but a bit out of my price range, that's all! Maybe something I'd get when I am making a better salary

srlawren

@TimeLemon not super cheap, but if your're looking for something that looks like an actual watch (rather than an activity tracking band--which may or may not be your thing), the 4th gen Fossil Q Explorist HR is a pretty good value at $335 with the silicon strap or a few different colour combos with leather straps brown leather or tan leather (there is a black too but the link is broken).  Or, for $365 in either of two different steel band colours regular stainless or smoked stainless.

I've got the 3rd gen Explorist and wear it literally every day.  Great watch, but this newer version is better as mine lacks a heart rate sensor but the 4th gen has one.  If you saw a 1st or 2nd gen Fossil and got scared off by the flat tire screen, note that these don't have that issue.  

EDIT: sorry didn't notice your reply to @ShawnC13, looks like my suggetions probably weren't to your tastes.  Ah well, swing and a miss!

TimeLemon

@ShawnC13, you pretty much summed up exactly what I wanted, thanks! I'll probably wait till it goes on sale during a holiday.

@TimeLemon wrote:

I enjoy how quickly this went from phones to watches to gloves... Anyone suggest any cheap smart watches? I have been thinking about getting one.

@TimeLemon, what are you looking for?  I have a Xiaomi Mi Band 3, it gives me notifications for email texts and phone calls.  You can't really read the full messages on teh watch so I do need to goto my phone for the full info but I use it more for notification of the messages as my phone is always on silent.  I think I got it for ~$30 or something from aliexpress.  I am looking at their actual watch now but with exchange it has gone to over $100 but quality of the product is great.  Waterproof been swimming with it many times, battery life last well over a week and have it go over  2 weeks as well.

TimeLemon

I enjoy how quickly this went from phones to watches to gloves... Anyone suggest any cheap smart watches? I have been thinking about getting one.

TimeLemon

I have this phone, and am using it right now with public mobile. This page can show you the steps to putting stock android on the phone, along with rooting it (but if you don't want to root it then don't follow through with the magisk step.) There isn't anything I found wrong with the phone. The global version works just fine with the network, as long as the latest update is installed. It is basically just a bare-bones pixel 3 for $400, so I'd say go for it!

EDIT: Typos

srlawren

@stonechucker gloves can be a pain, too.  I got a new pair for Christmas (after conveniently loosing one of my old ones a couple of weeks before) and they are runner's gloves, designed to roll part way up the forearm, which is tough on my watch wrist. But it's thin enough that I can just bunch it up a bit and it works.  And no, I'm not a runner!  But the gloves are nice.  🙂

@srlawren, I previous wore a Fossil Nate standard watch - loved it, but was so big!!  My wrist just wasn't big enough to wear it comfortably.  I use the wrist notifications also and silence the phone via wearOS.  I actually purchased a premium watch face to get extra launch buttons for $1.99.

I used to work inside computer cases years ago and stopped wearing a watch (and rings) so I wouldn't get them caught.  Now my only issue is taking my current winter jacket off, as the watch is stopping the liner from easily going over the thicker watch 😞  Problems eh?

Need Help? Let's chat.