cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Paying for 3G data but phones show it as LTE -

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

The following is part of a Spam message I and am certain others have received  from Freedom Mobie.

"Get 1.5GB Fast LTE Data with unlimited Canada-wide calling and global text $19.99"

This sparked my interest because their data is advertised as " 1.5GB Fast LTE Data ". In addition a few months ago, they or perhaps one of their retailers did send me 2 free Freedom SIM cards that I never bothered to activate because I'm happy with PM. However even though their Simms seem to be free they would charge me a $10 activation fee -- so the sims are not really free.

My confusion is - My paid PM data is shown as 3G however on all three of our iPhones it shows up as LTE.  Soooooo is PM now giving us LTE speeds for the price of 3G?

37 REPLIES 37

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

@BEER  I've never experienced what you said regarding Canada tire. Maybe the website was having issues when you tried? 

On data I can be on Canadian Tire, Facebook, PM forums and it always runs smoothly. I just tried going to Canadian Tire on data. It was a few milliseconds longer to load then on wifi.

Only time I've really noticed data being slow is when I'm way out in the country where they only have one tower in a small town. Other than that it has been ok. 

Maybe it's where you're located verse the tower location.

BEER

@Jb456 wrote:

@BEER  30/40 mbs I think. When a new person signs up the first day or two get full LTE before the system throttles it. if you search through old threads I'm sure you'll find something somewhere.

I say 30/ 40 just as a guess but @gblackma got 31 once on LTE after being with PM longer than two days 

Thread below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Did-Public-change-the-throttle-ban...

From PM LTE throttled down to 3mbs compared to 30-40 full LTE seems like a very respectable upgrade. Will contact Freedom to find out if their advertised LTE if full or throttled down and if full that could be a reason to switch to them. I hope PM will take heed and stop a possible PM exodus.

@BEER  30/40 mbs I think. When a new person signs up the first day or two get full LTE before the system throttles it. if you search through old threads I'm sure you'll find something somewhere.

I say 30/ 40 just as a guess but @gblackma got 31 once on LTE after being with PM longer than two days 

Thread below.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Using-Your-Service/Did-Public-change-the-throttle-ban...

BEER

@hairbag1 wrote:

As @Jb456 suggested...it is LTE but throttled to near 3G. Unless you're a heavy data user you likely wouldn't notice a lot of difference.

I find it to be a huge difference. For example while sitting in my car away from WIFI sources and trying to connect for example to Canadian tire so as to check price and inventory on an item, at times it's impossible waiting to connect. However my PM data is OK for basic emails etc.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@BEER wrote:

The following is part of a Spam message I and am certain others have received  from Freedom Mobie.

"Get 1.5GB Fast LTE Data with unlimited Canada-wide calling and global text $19.99"

This sparked my interest because their data is advertised as " 1.5GB Fast LTE Data ". In addition a few months ago, they or perhaps one of their retailers did send me 2 free Freedom SIM cards that I never bothered to activate because I'm happy with PM. However even though their Simms seem to be free they would charge me a $10 activation fee -- so the sims are not really free.

My confusion is - My paid PM data is shown as 3G however on all three of our iPhones it shows up as LTE.  Soooooo is PM now giving us LTE speeds for the price of 3G?

As @Jb456 suggested...it is LTE but throttled to near 3G. Unless you're a heavy data user you likely wouldn't notice a lot of difference.

BEER

@Jb456 wrote:

Public Mobile is LTE but throttled to 3g speed. (3Mbs) speed

That explains the snail pace data speed - any idea what the full LTE speed is? Just perhaps Freedom's advertised LTE may then also be throttled back. So much bordering on grey areas smoke and mirrors it's hard to tell what's what.

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

Public Mobile is LTE but throttled to 3g speed. (3Mbs) speed

Need Help? Let's chat.