cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for current info on best Dual SIM card Phone that is compatible with 5G P.M.

andy82997
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I need to get a new number in B.C. Canada,  looking for the best dual SIM card phone, that works with the 5G network,  I have a LG 3 that is connected to Telus and works excellent,  but is not available right now,  so I'm looking to buy a $200  +- new phone, or in new condition, wanted to reserch a few phones before the purchase, is for the Caribu B.C. area, your in put is apriciated.

If you have a good phone available, and can guaranty that it will work, please PM me.

Looking forward  to your responce !!

15 REPLIES 15

@andy82997  I would have to go with @will13am  choice. The bf just got it for xmas and is thrilled. Pretty awesome camera, great sound for tunes, dual SIM and a sd card slot. Large screen, super fast on the WiFi, fast charging, came with a screen protector and a case....all for $135cdn !

yanzhiqiang
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Xiaomi Redmi K20 Pro Premium 12G+512G

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Korth wrote:

I'm not familar with WCDMA, aside from reading up the Wikipedia article.

I could be wrong but (based on my limited overview of WCDMA) it doesn't appear to be compatible with HSPA.

@Korth it is.  UMTS and W-CDMA go hand-in-hand in a 3G network, with HSPA/HSDPA on top for data (much like EDGE over GSM, for example).  Some phone specs will list UMTS, some will list W-CDMA--they are for most intents synonymous, even though technically distinct things.

http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-umts-and-wcdma-network-technologie...

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

@Korth wrote:

I could be wrong but (based on my limited overview of WCDMA) it doesn't appear to be compatible with HSPA.

Technical differences aside, I believe that most people would consider them to both be one and the same, at least when phone compatibiilty with networks is being discussed.

If it's not compatible then frequencies and bands aren't relevant. Just like CDMA and GSM both had 2G modes which could use the same frequencies but they were simply different technologies which couldn't directly communicate with each other. 

If it is compatible then this phone has good specs and should work fine with Public Mobile. And returning the phone to vendor wouldn't even be necessary. 

@Korth wrote:

@Celtdric

I hope your faith in the vendor's refund/return policy isn't misplaced if you find this phone's WCDMA doesn't work with voice, text, or 3G data on Public Mobile.

What are you talking about?  The Umidigi phones have 850/1900 MHz bands covered on 3G.  I agree with the convenience of buying from a physical store when it comes to returns, but at what cost?  When I buy a cheap phone, I don't care about warranties.  I get better peace of mind knowing that my phone cost less than the taxes on a current iPhone.  Likely before the warranty expires, I will be using a different phone.   Nothing ventured nothing gained.  I will keep to my formula of buying value from reputable vendors that will ship my order.  Not going to worry about a warranty that has a very low chance of ever being needed.  Please don't tell me the most important item in a purchase is the warranty.

Celtdric

@Korth Korth Mayir I don't know why you appears so mad .... perhaps a bad experience in the past ?

My friend is a Public Mobile customer and has no problems at all with the phone I mentioned.

@Celtdric

I hope your faith in the vendor's refund/return policy isn't misplaced if you find this phone's WCDMA doesn't work with voice, text, or 3G data on Public Mobile.

Celtdric

With Amazon Csnsda no problems with return & refund.

A friend of mine bought this phone as I think it's a good deal  & phone too

And it is. An excellent phone, I was impressed with as I tried it.

No problems when downloading attachments from emsils: audio & pdf files.

Why I will pay over $500.00 when it's possible to find a great phone fir less thsn $200.00?

@Celtdric wrote:

I recomend an excellent phone: Umidgi Power (this is the most recent model).  I will buy one soon 🙂

UMIDIGI Power Unlocked Cell Phone 64GB+4GB RAM 5150mAh Battery 18W Fast Charging 6.3" FHD+ Screen Global Version 16MP+5MP Dual Camera LTE Smartphone(Black)

This phone has impressive specs for the price.

3G WCDMA 850(5), 1900(2)

Rogers built the only WCDMA network in Canada (around Toronto and some of the "top 25 cities") before abandoning WCDMA for HSDPA by 2007, while Telus and Bell never deployed WCDMA at all. I think a WCDMA phone is not fully compatible with a (Telus) HSPA+ network, it would work for voice calls, it might work for SMS texts, it would not work for 3G data.

4G FDD-LTE 850 (5), 1900 (2), 700 A/B/C (12/13/17), 1700/2100 (4), 2600 (7)

This phone supports all 4G radio on the (Telus) network except 700 D/E (band 29, which is all downlink). So it would work for 4G data and should get fairly fast (though not the very fastest possible) download speeds.

No native 3G data could be a deal-breaker. Depends on whether you ever need to rely on 3G modes (especially outside dense urban areas). 

Missing one 4G band is a non-issue since Public Mobile throttles 4G-based data to "3G speeds" on (almost) all plans anyhow.

Personally, I tend to avoid phones made for foreign or "global" markets and tend focus on phones made for local market. Full hardware and software compatibility is badically certain, availability is more everywhere, cost is often cheaper (because no shipping fees, if nothing else), and returns/refunds are so much less problematic when interactions with the vendor are face-to-face. 

Celtdric

Hello, First of all you need to be sure the phone is unlocked, then the model you choose is compatible with Canadian Networks such as Public Mobile.

I recomend an excellent phone: Umidgi Power (this is the most recent model).  I will buy one soon 🙂

This phone has some features you find in higher  models price tag, has a robust battery, and it can be use in Canada and overseas. Also, you can plug your hearphones or external speakers  with this phone!

UMIDIGI Power Unlocked Cell Phone 64GB+4GB RAM 5150mAh Battery 18W Fast Charging 6.3" FHD+ Screen Global Version 16MP+5MP Dual Camera LTE Smartphone(Black)

To learn more about this phone click on the following link:

https://www.amazon.ca/UMIDIGI-Unlocked-5150mAh-Charging-Smartphone/dp/B07TX6TFKH/ref=sr_1_1?keywords...

I hope these information help, and you enjoy your new phone

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

A lot of people include the word best when asking for suggestions.  I can't promise to offer the best suggestion, but it should check off most of the boxes.  Check out the umidigi A5 pro.  It sells on Amazon and so it's a hassle free purchasing experience.  The phone sells for $179 which is inside the suggested budget.  It goes on sale for $131, no tax very often.  It's out of stock at the moment, but it will come back.  The F1 is also worth a look, it sells for $200 on sale.   

@andy82997

As pointed out above, Public Mobile does not offer 5G. Nor does Public Mobile offer 4G - with the exception of the LTE Data-only Plan, along with any Data Add-on(s) attached to it. Public Mobile currently only offers "3G" (although technically it's LTE capped at 3000kbps) and it's realistic to expect they'll be among the very last Canadian operators which upgrades to faster data tiers. At least not before your shiny new phone becomes old and junky.

But why dual-SIM? Are you planning on having two phone numbers or a separate provider for mobile Data? Just curious. (And, if 5G Data performance is a real priority then it narrows down your options considerably.)

I wouldn't buy a beefy smartphone with any expectation of "future-proofing". It would be a gutless, dead, or dying chunk of once-very-expensive-but-now-half-worthless disposable old tech by the time the future actually arrives.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@andy82997 wrote:

looking for the best dual SIM card phone, that works with the 5G network, 

@rick7 wrote:

Here are three good phones that are both dual sim and 5G ready:

Samsung Galaxy S10
Huawei Mate 20 X
OnePlus 7 Pro

@rick7 well, yes, but...  PM does not offer 5G service, and will not for very likely a VERY long time.  It will be a while yet before even PM's 1st tier parent company Telus offers any 5G service, and even then it will be in very limited geographical areas initially.  I would not recommend to anyone to buy a 5G phone right now, it's just not worth it.  Also, it would completely blow the stated "$200 +-" budget, since 5G phones tend to be even more expensive variants of very expensive phones.  So, yeah, just don't.  Also, at least one of the models you listed (S10) is not dual-SIM.

@andy82997 let's assume you meant to ask about 4G?  There are lots of dual SIM 4G phones out there.  Are you firm on the ~$200 price point?  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

rick7

Here are three good phones that are both dual sim and 5G ready:

Samsung Galaxy S10
Huawei Mate 20 X
OnePlus 7 Pro

Need Help? Let's chat.