cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you have a Rogers TV box, your box may no longer work:

fixin1
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

https://mobilesyrup.com/2024/04/30/rogers-discontinue-old-digital-tv-boxes-april-30/

Some people may start to experience issues with their Rogers Ignite TV boxes being in effect today.

The boxes in question are these and you are told to return them back via calling them up for a new replacement if your model is on the list:

• SA HD3250 DTV
  • SA HD3100 DTV
  • SA E940-C
  • SA DTV
  • SA 940 DTV
  • SA 8300HDC PVR
  • SA 8300HD PVR
  • SA 8300 PVR
  • SA 8000HD PVR
  • SA 8000 PVR
  • SA 4290 DTV
  • SA 4250HD DTV
  • SA 3290 DTV
  • SA 3200 DTV
  • SA 3190 DTV
  • SA 3100 DTV
  • SA 3000 DTV 
  • SA 2200 DTV
  • SA 2010DTV
  • SA 2000 HD
  • SA 1840 DTV
  • PACE551HD
  • PACE501
10 REPLIES 10

@hairbag1 wrote:

Shawgers recently took our old cable boxes away and replaced them with the little Ignite TV boxes and new remotes. They installed their own wifi modem without me subscribing to their expensive internet. Prices stayed the same (approx $90 per month), with lotsa channels including all the Sportsnet channels..( so we can watch the Canucks kick some Oilers butt next week ! ) History channel, Discovery, all US and Cdn networks.

@hairbag1 , I didn’t know it was now offered without the requirements of internet! I will pass that info on to my neighbour on the change. 😃

@fixin1 wrote:

@LitlLdy - The CRTC had mandated places to kill analogue but everywhere else still can run on it. Yes, it is really annoying that there is no just TV and that is it things. TELUS used to have it that you could get just TV and no internet, but you would need the modem that is designed for TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_New_Brunswick

Shawgers recently took our old cable boxes away and replaced them with the little Ignite TV boxes and new remotes. They installed their own wifi modem without me subscribing to their expensive internet. Prices stayed the same (approx $90 per month), with lotsa channels including all the Sportsnet channels..( so we can watch the Canucks kick some Oilers butt next week ! ) History channel, Discovery, all US and Cdn networks.

fixin1

@LitlLdy - The CRTC had mandated places to kill analogue but everywhere else still can run on it. Yes, it is really annoying that there is no just TV and that is it things. TELUS used to have it that you could get just TV and no internet, but you would need the modem that is designed for TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_New_Brunswick

@fixin1 , she has no use for internet, no computer, no cell phone & so on. Just tv channels. I have been trying to find something for her in NB that is affordable & that would make her happy. 🤣 

Analogue channels used to be available but are now blocked! They can no longer be found here when doing a search on the tv with rabbit ears! I tried that for her on her new tv.

fixin1

@LitlLdy - Ohhh. Yes, Bell is a whole mess with dealing. Everything you want to talk about with bell requires a complaint to the CCTS.

Hmmm. So yes.

Maybe go try TekSaavy Internet and RiverTV. Or something.

But what about Digital / Analogue TV? Maybe check Wikipedia if her channels are on Digital or Analogue TV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_Ontario

If this isn't your province just look up "List of Television Stations in [ Province ]"

Radio TV can usually go up to 42 - 61km (30 - 38 miles) and that may be nice and cheap.

@fixin1 wrote:

@LitlLdy - Yes it seems like all IP TV providers like Telus Optik need Internet.

Also can she get Bell / Shaw Sattelite TV? That doesn’t need an internet connection. 

@fixin1 , no she can’t due to our landlord doesn’t want a satellite dish on the apartment building plus it would cost her a lot more. Bell is a horrible company to deal with. Bell & Shaw is even more expensive than what she is paying with Rogers. She is a senior with low limited income. Either way she can’t go without her tv channels!

fixin1

@LitlLdy - Yes it seems like all IP TV providers like Telus Optik need Internet.

Also can she get Bell / Shaw Sattelite TV? That doesn’t need an internet connection. 

fixin1

@hTideGnow - Yes, the 8 year old Telus Optik TV HD box still works for us!

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@fixin1 , I think you mean they’ll have the issues with the old digital tv boxes not the little Ignite TV device. Ignite TV is newer & the little device connects to the internet modem to provide TV service. Digital TV is old & through the cable line in the wall. Ignite TV requires internet service in order to work where Digital TV doesn’t which that service hasn’t been offered to new customers for quite some time & only still working for customers still on it which they’ve been trying to push those customers to switch to Ignite TV service for some time! Plus traditional home Phone service through copper lines is not offered anymore. Phone service is now offered through the internet modem. If your electricity is out so is your phone service! 🙄 The joy of technology!

One neighbour was pushed to switch stating that if she didn’t her bill would increase substantially! Unfortunately the switch caused her to lose her favourite channels & all her music channels! Plus lost her traditional phone line through copper lines. They told her it would be the same, nope it is through the internet modem now & the elderly lady has no phone to use during power outages!

Another neighbour has been fighting not to plus she has no use for internet, doesn’t even own a computer (another elderly lady) but can’t get Ignite TV without internet!

I no longer have TV service. I have Internet through Ignite & use Netflix, Tubi (free) & so on.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

thanks @fixin1 

i honestly think Rogers/Bell create so many eWaste.  These box are tied with their network and no chance or reusing it.  No good

Need Help? Let's chat.