cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carbon Tax and GST or other taxes

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Well it was a very cold December/ January here in Alberta. I got my Natural gas bill today and it was high.

First I will point out I have a high efficency furnace of 96.8 %.

There will be alot of others famillies out there with heating bills from $400.00 to $900.00 or more in  Natural Gas or Propane bills.

Even though my Natural gas was actually only $69.00 but all the admin fees , distribution fees, rate riders, Municipal Franchise fees and Carbon tax took it over $250.00

I am not against the carbon tax and thats not what I am saying here.

My carbon tax was $41.49 on my bill, I also have just figued out I am paying GST on the Carbon tax. 

I am from Alberta and there is no sales tax here.

Are people from BC also paying PST on the Carbon Tax too?

Next year I will being paying more for Carbon Tax than actual $ amount of Natural Gas I actually used. 

So what is the Carbon Tax a Goods or a Service. I really don't think it should be taxed with GST.

10 REPLIES 10

villellamcmeans
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There really needs to be a government ministry dedicated solely to finding ways to first - phase out income taxes and property taxes.

 

Then explore ways to cut down government spending somehow.

 

First step would be to identify spending to be cut, and also identify ineffective laws to be repealed.

 

The phasing out part would obviously start with using other taxes to replace to revenue from income taxes and property taxes - increasing consumption taxes is the obvious temporary solution, then as the culture of reducing taxes has started, later on even consumption taxes can be reduced in correlation to reduced government spending.

 

Anyways, the culture of government spending has to be addressed and reversed somehow - even if only by dreaming of it.


@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:


You'll get some of this back when you file your 2021 income tax return in the form of a the CAI credit.


Political gesture that is worthless.  Why take from the taxpayer and pretend to be generous with giving a token amount back?  


They'll earn small amounts of interest on money borrowed from millions of taxpayers.


How so when the government spends more than they take in?  That would be like you taking out a loan and putting the proceeds into a savings account.  


Savings accounts essentially pay nothing.  


I rest my case, the carbon tax on a product with inelastic demand is a pure cash grab.  

 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Bullet77 

Jeez....I hadn't looked at my gas bill yet and you made me look! More than double of last year.  But in this very old house you really feel the cold when it goes below 5° which was last years average daily temperature whereas this year was 1° with the carbon tax, gst and the clean energy levy  making up 20% of the bill.

 

 

 

 

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #.


@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:


You'll get some of this back when you file your 2021 income tax return in the form of a the CAI credit.


Political gesture that is worthless.  Why take from the taxpayer and pretend to be generous with giving a token amount back?  


They'll earn small amounts of interest on money borrowed from millions of taxpayers.


How so when the government spends more than they take in?  That would be like you taking out a loan and putting the proceeds into a savings account.  


Savings accounts essentially pay nothing.  


@computergeek541 wrote:

@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:


You'll get some of this back when you file your 2021 income tax return in the form of a the CAI credit.


Political gesture that is worthless.  Why take from the taxpayer and pretend to be generous with giving a token amount back?  


They'll earn small amounts of interest on money borrowed from millions of taxpayers.


How so when the government spends more than they take in?  That would be like you taking out a loan and putting the proceeds into a savings account.  


@will13am wrote:

@computergeek541 wrote:


You'll get some of this back when you file your 2021 income tax return in the form of a the CAI credit.


Political gesture that is worthless.  Why take from the taxpayer and pretend to be generous with giving a token amount back?  


They'll earn small amounts of interest on money borrowed from millions of taxpayers.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Bullet77 wrote:

Well it was a very cold December/ January here in Alberta. I got my Natural gas bill today and it was high.

First I will point out I have a high efficency furnace of 96.8 %.

There will be alot of others famillies out there with heating bills from $400.00 to $900.00 or more in  Natural Gas or Propane bills.

Even though my Natural gas was actually only $69.00 but all the admin fees , distribution fees, rate riders, Municipal Franchise fees and Carbon tax took it over $250.00

I am not against the carbon tax and thats not what I am saying here.

My carbon tax was $41.49 on my bill, I also have just figued out I am paying GST on the Carbon tax. 

I am from Alberta and there is no sales tax here.

Are people from BC also paying PST on the Carbon Tax too?

Next year I will being paying more for Carbon Tax than actual $ amount of Natural Gas I actually used. 

So what is the Carbon Tax a Goods or a Service. I really don't think it should be taxed with GST.


In ON, we pay the HST on the carbon tax as well.  There is always tax on tax just like at the pump.  The carbon tax is now about 50% of the cost of gas.  I have noticed that YoY, the cost of gas has gone up by 40%.  Unfortunately I am heating a leaking tent here.  😥


@computergeek541 wrote:

@Bullet77 wrote:

Well it was a very cold December/ January here in Alberta. I got my Natural gas bill today and it was high.

First I will point out I have a high efficency furnace of 96.8 %.

There will be alot of others famillies out there with heating bills from $400.00 to $900.00 or more in  Natural Gas or Propane bills.

Even though my Natural gas was actually only $69.00 but all the admin fees , distribution fees, rate riders, Municipal Franchise fees and Carbon tax took it over $250.00

I am not against the carbon tax and thats not what I am saying here.

My carbon tax was $41.49 on my bill, I also have just figued out I am paying GST on the Carbon tax. 

I am from Alberta and there is no sales tax here.

Are people from BC also paying PST on the Carbon Tax too?

Next year I will being paying more for Carbon Tax than actual $ amount of Natural Gas I actually used. 

So what is the Carbon Tax a Goods or a Service. I really don't think it should be taxed with GST.


You'll get some of this back when you file your 2021 income tax return in the form of a the CAI credit.


Political gesture that is worthless.  Why take from the taxpayer and pretend to be generous with giving a token amount back?  


@Bullet77 wrote:

Well it was a very cold December/ January here in Alberta. I got my Natural gas bill today and it was high.

First I will point out I have a high efficency furnace of 96.8 %.

There will be alot of others famillies out there with heating bills from $400.00 to $900.00 or more in  Natural Gas or Propane bills.

Even though my Natural gas was actually only $69.00 but all the admin fees , distribution fees, rate riders, Municipal Franchise fees and Carbon tax took it over $250.00

I am not against the carbon tax and thats not what I am saying here.

My carbon tax was $41.49 on my bill, I also have just figued out I am paying GST on the Carbon tax. 

I am from Alberta and there is no sales tax here.

Are people from BC also paying PST on the Carbon Tax too?

Next year I will being paying more for Carbon Tax than actual $ amount of Natural Gas I actually used. 

So what is the Carbon Tax a Goods or a Service. I really don't think it should be taxed with GST.


You'll get some of this back when you file your 2021 income tax return in the form of a the CAI credit.

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@Bullet77    Yes, the gas bill was also almost double the amount from last year.  While I expected the heating bill to be much higher due to the colder winter, but it still was quite the shock seeing the actual bill 😲.   

 

I didn't look closely at the bill until your post and see that between the delivery charges plus carbon tax and GST make up more than half the bill 😒.     Death and taxes, I guess...  BTW, I only see GST charged on the gas bill (BC).