Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Blog Post] The More You Know: Combating Spam Texts with Public Mobile

J_PM
Public Mobile
Public Mobile

J_PM_0-1693405317492.gif

Today, we're diving deep into the world of spam text messages, those pesky unsolicited texts that might sometimes catch you off-guard. But don't worry, because we're here to arm you with knowledge and tools to tackle them head-on.

What's the Buzz About Spam Texts?
Spam text messages are those unwanted commercial advertisements sent straight to our phones. They’re not just a nuisance; they can sometimes be phishing schemes aiming to swipe your personal information. These messages are NOT sent by Public Mobile or any reputable company for that matter.

Spotting Genuine Public Mobile Message

• We'll always greet you. Expect messages starting with "Public Mobile here.."
  • Our genuine messages come from the number 611 or a 4-digit short code

Why Report Spam?
The battle against spam texts doesn't stop at spotting them. Reporting these pesky messages improves our ability to block future spam. It's like equipping Public Mobile with a superpower to fight back. Reporting isn’t just about immediate relief from annoyance; it's a long-term strategy that enhances the whole community’s digital experience.

Reporting is Your Superpower!
Got a spam text? Here's what to do:

1. Forward the Spam: Send that spam text to the shortcode 7726 (which spells SPAM, by the way!) and let us begin an investigation.
  2. Avoid Direct Replies: Never respond directly to suspected spam. It only confirms to the spammer that your number is active.
  3. Can't View the Number? Forward the entire spam message to us. If it’s email spam, ensure you include the full email header.

Fun Fact: Reporting spam to 7726 is absolutely free, and it doesn't count against your data or messaging package.

Step-By-Step: Forwarding and Reporting Spam
For iPhone users:

1. Touch and hold the spam message.
  2. Click "More".
  3. Select the text to forward and hit the arrow icon.
  4. Punch in '7726' and hit "Send".

For Android enthusiasts:

1. Press the spam message (avoid activating any links).
  2. Select ‘Forward’.
  3. Direct it to 7726.

For the tech-savvy among us using Apple (iOS 16.4 and newer) or Android devices, you have built-in features to report spam directly. Find the complete guide on how to use them here.

Wrapping Up
Spam texts are a global annoyance, but together, we can make a dent in this problem. By reporting, you're not just protecting yourself but also helping the entire Public Mobile community. Remember, knowledge is power, and every bit you learn helps safeguard your digital space.

15 REPLIES 15

mitchnet12
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I just reported a SPAM message. It only works with SMS (don't try sending a screen shot). The system will respond asking for you to reply with the sender's number. In my case, it came from 777222.

Shout out to @Ck_PM, our content wizard! More in store, keep an  👀 out. 

@Community_QA_ wrote:

good one @J_PM 

you need to write more!!

@Community_QA_ , you also @Community_QA ? I can't see any issues if you are keeping your new ID other than not being able to see older messages in your other ID's inbox/sent. But if you are interested in getting it back then CS Agent (ask for Audu) can get it back for you.

NOTE, though, getting your older ID back may mean it is not built properly and you may see some things (lose visibility to My Profile, other members cannot message you/find you in the search when tagging or private messaging, and rewards get messed up). So ask Audu to not let this happen, or at least fix it if it does.

esjliv_0-1694007287568.png

Kxra
New in Town / Nouveau en Ville

Awesome! Good to know, I can't anymore with those spams

THP_23
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thanks J_PM for this info. Continue to post more...

Momof2

That’s great to know!! Sick of spam texts

Dbl_cheese_burg
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This is great to know - especially in a world where scams are omnipresent

Kls780

Thank you for posting.

Caleb42
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Huh, thats Pretty cool, good to know!

Community_QA_
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

good one @J_PM 

you need to write more!!

Pawprints1986
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Up till now I've just blocked any crap I've gotten

Internet
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Great info!

Priority
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Public Mobile will message you from 611, 471-7, 512-9, 5213, 5169, 835-85, and 833-988-3838 for EverSafe ID Confirmation Codes.

These are all the Numbers I've received messages from claiming to be 'Public Mobile', everytime I get one I save it to my contacts as 'Public Mobile'.

7726 is a great feature and I'm happy to see Public Mobile supporting, encouraging and promoting the use of it. 👏👏👏

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

I think the key defence for Public Mobile is knowing that shortcodes can't be spoofed. Anybody can say "Public Mobile here..".

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@J_PM , thank you for posting this. Very useful information. I’ve been doing this and in worse situations reported to the “Spam Reporting Centre”  and forwarded email spam to  spam@fightspam.gc.ca  plus I registered my phone number on Canada’s Do Not Call List” ! 🙂

Edit! My typos!

Need Help? Let's chat.