cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best grocery store to save money

Tman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hey I am looking to save money in groceries. Do any of you have a suggestion? I have started to shop around seeing that I could save money by buying produce at a produce store, cheese and sliced meats at a deli, and cereal and milk at a big box store. What is your experience. Has anyone tried London Drugs for groceries? I think their granola bars were really cheap. Thanks 

52 REPLIES 52

@popping 

Too bad I'm in bc or we could do our weekly shopping together and I'd save 7% pst. Plus you get points on prescriptions and alcohol in alberta dont you? Well im off in the search for almost free halloween chocolate. Lucked out and got a 200 points per $1 mars chocolate offer that i can stack.

Just found out I'm out of butter....from my $0.99/lb score at no frills 12 months ago. The bf hates shopping and forgets to give me the heads up when we're low on staples from the freezer in the basement.

Happy Halloween!

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Agree.  Combine with offers to buy stuff on sale at RCSS, NF or SDM can be free or almost free.

Two years ago, I got SDM 20k pts offer for $60 spending.  OLAY body wash was on sale at SDM $2.99 with 2k bonus pts/bottle.  I purchase 20 bottles of OLAY body wash + a filler item to get my total purchase over $60.

40k pts for 20 bottles

20k pts for spending $60

900 base pts for spending $60

1800 pts for using my PC WE MC

Total pts = 62.7k pts = $62.7 free groceries + 20 bottles of body wash.

Net: I paid 30 cents for GST.

@popping 

I think I have too much cheese....i tried to resist the optimum offers at RCSS this week but i had coupons and a personal offer cracker barrel cheese and that broke the camels back. Bought 12×$4 slices=$48 - $18 (buy 2 get $3 off coupons)=$30 and 24×$5 (p/m no frills) =$120 - $36=$84+$48=$132 paid for mostly in points. But it was the points back that were impressive. I bought a few other items to cover coupon discounts and my points were awarded as follows: total before coupons $168 in store offer spend $15 get 7500 points. Awarded 82,500+33,600 (200 pts per $1)=116,100+10,000 (spend $50 get 10,000) =126,100  Paid 120,000 points+$12=$132(sale price before p/m $204) $132 - 126,000=$5.90/5900pts.

Total cost of 36 packages of cheese $5.90  Cheese anyone ? Will trade for wine or crackers....

@popping 

Just when I think I'm out......they drag me back in again! I just off loaded 90 boxes of cereal (at a profit but it's still a win win because in the end its a charity recieving a bigger donation than originally budgeted.) That left me with a reasonable 30 or so boxes of cereal. But no......no frills and RCSS had to have bonus pc optimum points offers this past week and a personalized offer in my app.

Needless to say 44 boxes of miniwheats, vector, special k and raisin bran (regular size this time) are stacked in the main floor bathroom again! After coupons on all but 12 boxes of raisin bran I paid $100 ($70 on my card and 30k in points) and walked away with 110k in points......its so hard to leave .......it on the shelf when they pay you to take it away!!

LL888
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@beedle "While save on can definetly be more expensive its important to remember they do price match and offer a guarantee on the quality of their produce. Their customer service is excellent."

I agree 100% - customer service and produce is what i go there for

@beedle 

I am going to assume you also have a pc optimum card to take advantage of personalized offers and pc express offers. You will also almost always have a 2000 points offer for $20 of gas from esso and If you're like me and dont drive you'll get double offers for 4000 points. If you expecting or have a baby there are significant points offers and savings to be had by having a pc insiders membership. Look fo an offer of 50,000 points when you join ($100/yr) and the savings on essentials like diapers and baby food and 200 pts back per $1 spent on pc products and free pc express orders is well worth it.

While save on can definetly be more expensive its important to remember they do price match and offer a guarantee on the quality of their produce. Their customer service is excellent.

beedle

I think we've figured out a decent combo between Superstore and Costco:

- We use Superstore as the base for most of groceries but you also have to get the PC Financial Card. No annual fees and 3% back at all Loblaws stores (in PC points). Also, you get $0.07 a litre (in PC points) which most of the time works out to lower than what Costco offers by 2 to 3 cents. 

- Executive Costco card (2% back) is worth it depending on how many people you are shopping for. And if you also use the PC Financial Mastercard when you pay you get an additional 1% back in PC points. Things like flour, grains, peanut butter, nuts, quinoa, cheese, yeast, are quite a bit cheaper at Costco regularly compared to Superstore. But the key with Superstore is to shop the sales and the sales are sometimes cheaper than Costco on products.

- Save-on is almost always more expensive than Costco and Superstore except probably once a month or two they have chicken breast boxes (3kg) for a really good price around $20. 

Another thing to note though is Costco sometimes has larger sizes of the same product so make sure you're comparing apples to apples when trying to determine the best price.You can also use Checkout 51 app to take advantage of coupons at any store. Hope this helps!

KingAlex

Save on Foods wouldn't be a bad alternative if you shop smartly there. 

In particular, Darell's deal of the weak tends to be a deal far better than what any other competitor can offer (ie: $3 for a full apple pie)

As someone who used to work there as well, little hidden secret is that if the price of any item scans wrong from the actual advertised price (check dates -- grocery clerks get lazy), then you are entitled to $10 off due to that item. Some cashiers also do not know this, so if you intend on being frugal perhaps request a manager to come over.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious 

Agree.  I like the Safeway and Sobeys beef.  I also an Air Miles collector.  I put all my AM into cash miles account only and redeem 95AM for to pay $10 of stuff.  Collecting AM at Safeway is easy.  AM has 3 big promo events a year and a few smaller one in between the big event.

AM Mega Miles event ended a few weeks ago

- I am waiting for 1000AM from Mega Miles event

AM Bonus Boom event starts tomorrow for 2 weeks

0.  AM will credit my account with 95AM if I complete 3 offers.

1.  BMO MC: Spend $150 with AM partners and get 100AM

2.  Safeway: Purchase $150 Safeway GC and get 100AM.  Buy $150 GC using BMO MC and get 100AM from BMO MC + 100AM from Safeway.

3.  Sobeys:  Redeem 95 cash miles to pay for $10 grocery and get 25AM.

Total for this Bonus Boom event:

Spend $150 and get 320AM

AM Shop The Block event is coming up in 1.5 months.

Sometime, I use coupons and use CO51 cash back app to stack with store sale price.

This week Lablaws and RCSS Dove bar soap on sale $1.99.

CO51 has $2 cash back for buying Dove bar soap.  It is free with the CO51 cash back.  Pay only sale tax.

Walmart prices on factory-made food are pretty good, sometimes awesomely cheap.

Canned soups, pasta sauces, convenience foods, junkfoods ... anything which is pre-made and packaged for the consumer. Same stocked-in-bulk stuff warehoused in every Walmart location.

But their actual groceries - stuff you gotta cook, real meat, fresh produce, dairy - all depends on the store location. Near the local food producers it can cost surprisingly little, in the heart of big cities it'll cost far more than the supermarket chains.

In a little more than 2 weeks, Warmart certainly won't be the grocery store for saving money, at least not with the Ad Match policy being discontinued.

Bullet77
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

During the Covid 19 Pandemic up and including now, I no longer find The Real Canadian Superstore to have good prices. Almost everyone of their prices is up significantly. Walmart is actually alot cheaper on many of their items.

@darlicious wrote:

I prefer Stupid Store but I do like to shop at Crappy Tire they have an excellent return policy.

Stores are entities.  They cannot be stupid nor smart for that matter.  I don't know store managers well enough to make judgments on their character.  I can judge price against their peers. 

I prefer Stupid Store but I do like to shop at Crappy Tire they have an excellent return policy.

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Bullet77 wrote:

I find The Real Canadian Superstore to be the cheapest except for December and January as I think they charge more on groceries to make up for low prices on toys at Christmas.

I also find that Walmart is becoming more agressive with their prices lately as well.

I look through the weekly specials regularly.  I, along witth another member, often refer to  RCSS to Real Expensive Superstore.  With the exception of their prime rib specials around certain holidays, I don't find the prices to be good.

That would be me.  I will take credit for coming up with that name.  Smiley Tongue

YVR
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

You can try an app called Flipp that allows you to see flyers from your neighbourhood. This can help you decide on your grocery lists

@Bullet77 No frills will probably save you around 10% more on the same goods bought at The Real Canadian Superstore. Except for clothing.

@Bullet77 wrote:

I find The Real Canadian Superstore to be the cheapest except for December and January as I think they charge more on groceries to make up for low prices on toys at Christmas.

I also find that Walmart is becoming more agressive with their prices lately as well.

I look through the weekly specials regularly.  I, along witth another member, often refer to  RCSS to Real Expensive Superstore.  With the exception of their prime rib specials around certain holidays, I don't find the prices to be good.

Bullet77

vexter

@skrdan wrote:

That depends on which province you live in.  In Quebec, Montreal specifically, Maxi and Super C are the cheapest giant shopping stores while METRO & IGA & Provigo are the most expensive.

We also have smaller food chain stores which are great called, Mourelatos, P.A.  and another, which I can't seem to remember.

I personally, like to shop at very small grocery stores because their rent is cheap and so their overhead doesn't run into expensive as do the bigger competitors thus enabling them to sell their items cheaper than all of the above.

There are 2 1/2 grocery stores in my town. Sobey's, Food Basics and the Giant Tiger (its the 1/2) and I feel obligated to shop at all of them.  I have lived in a small town now most of my life. I have found that stores, even big chains do better with a little competition. If nothing else, service is better and buildings are cleaner.

skrdan

That depends on which province you live in.  In Quebec, Montreal specifically, Maxi and Super C are the cheapest giant shopping stores while METRO & IGA & Provigo are the most expensive.

We also have smaller food chain stores which are great called, Mourelatos, P.A.  and another, which I can't seem to remember. (*Edit:March 08/20:.   ADONIS).

I personally, like to shop at very small grocery stores because their rent is cheap and so their overhead doesn't run into expensive as do the bigger competitors thus enabling them to sell their items cheaper than all of the above.

Gwenel

Best way I have found to save is to plan my week of meals, loosely but it works.  Read the flyers and get inspiration from the sales.  I also shop the basics on sale and tuck them in my pantry or freezer. 

GARB1962

@Andie82 wrote:

Check out an app called Flashfoods. They sell food close to the best before date for steep discounts.

It helps keep food out of the landfill and saves you money. Win-win!

We almost always check out the various discount racks in store.  Good value and keeps it from being thrown away into the landfill.

vexter

@Andie82 wrote:

Check out an app called Flashfoods. They sell food close to the best before date for steep discounts.

Sounds like a winner.  I will give it a try.

Andie82
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@darlicious wrote:

@GARB1962 @gblackma 

I've never quite figured that out myself especially when Canada's two largest port cities have such higher prices for imported products along with local products. How is a head of romaine lettuce from California more expensive here than Ontario? A full semi cost less in fuel costs to get to Vancouver than Toronto. Dairy and eggs are regulated by local boards so their price difference makes sense (sort of) and are double the price in nova Scotia than here despite it being very local in a small province transportation wise. But seafood  and alberta beef prices should be cheaper or at least equal in price. Sadly New Zealand and Australian beef are often cheaper than Alberta beef despite being shipped all that way....but there is no comparison in quality or taste.

When you market to 1/3 of the Canadian population, you gotta bring the A game.  Warehousing and distribution are a huge cost.  This is where mega cities have the advantage.

dboxtvinfo715
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Walmart

@GARB1962 @gblackma 

I've never quite figured that out myself especially when Canada's two largest port cities have such higher prices for imported products along with local products. How is a head of romaine lettuce from California more expensive here than Ontario? A full semi cost less in fuel costs to get to Vancouver than Toronto. Dairy and eggs are regulated by local boards so their price difference makes sense (sort of) and are double the price in nova Scotia than here despite it being very local in a small province transportation wise. But seafood  and alberta beef prices should be cheaper or at least equal in price. Sadly New Zealand and Australian beef are often cheaper than Alberta beef despite being shipped all that way....but there is no comparison in quality or taste.

GARB1962

@gblackma wrote:

Odd, considering where most of the cattle industry is located @GARB1962 .

@GARB1962 wrote:

I notice in the grocery flyers the West always gets royally screwed with prices for meat and produce in comparison to the East.

Yeah, not sure if it has to do with population size/population per sq. km and therefore volume savings?  

Odd, considering where most of the cattle industry is located @GARB1962 .

@GARB1962 wrote:

I notice in the grocery flyers the West always gets royally screwed with prices for meat and produce in comparison to the East.

Need Help? Let's chat.