cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5GHz WiFi Stopped Working after Switch to Public Mobile

yvrguy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I just ported my number over to Public Mobile today, and while my phone/data service seem fine, I'm encountering a strange issue: after inserting my Public Mobile SIM, my phone (LG G6) can't connect to my home WiFi network on the 5GHz frequency anymore - after years of no issues. Specifically, it gets stuck on the "Obtaining IP address" step.

I tried:

- resetting my phone's network settings

- restarting my router

- updating my router's firmware

None of this worked...

The problem is for this specific phone-network combination: the 5GHz WiFi still works on all my other devices, and my phone can still connect to other WiFi networks. In fact, my phone can still connect to my home WiFi network (same router) on the 2.4GHz frequency! So this is not a big problem, but I'm just curious if anyone might know what's going on.

6 REPLIES 6

Check the credentials.

As in, delete your wifi login profile on the device and delete your device profile on the wifi router.

Restart both and wait a minute or two (just to be overkill) then login to the SSID again, manually enter (and save) the password/etc.

You can install a Wifi Analyzer app which might help troubleshoot things.

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@yvrguy take the SIM out of the phone and see if you have trouble connecting to Wifi without a SIM in it

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

yvrguy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks. I'll avoid doing a factory reset for now since I can connect to the 2.4GHz network anyway. I did try just removing the SIM and that didn't fix the problem with the 5GHz, so it looks like it's either the process of switching SIMs (rather than the new SIM itself) that broke something, or just a coincidence that the 5GHz connection stopped working at this time.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

This is a rather strange behavior.  That said, mobile network and WiFi network are two different things.  I don't see how one influences/affects the other.

MrSpock
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@yvrguy hi it shouldn't have anything to do with your service provider,try resetting your router 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@yvrguy   LG is known to have issue for Mobile network if a provider is changed but I never heard of that affect the 5Ghz Wifi

since you have tried a network reset, maybe  you really need to try a Factory reset.   

Backup the data first.  try to Reset the phone WITHOUT the PM SIM there. 

Do NOT restore anything from backup, try to connect straight to the 5GHz Wifi first.  If works, then add the PM SIM back and test again.   If that works, too, next, you can try to restore or setup the phone now.

Need Help? Let's chat.