cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Phone: Suspend Service and/or Remove AutoPay?

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

My son lost his phone (on the PM $10/30 day plan) a while ago, and we still haven't found it...

Rather than paying $7/month ($10 - $2 autopay - $1 referral that I get), I figured I'd just suspend the phone (for up to 90 days) and then resume once we find or replace his phone.

One question is -- was this step even necessary? "Plan and Add-Ons" > "Lost/Stolen Phone" > "Suspend Service"

Upon doing so, I immediately got an SMS (on my phone) from 100, indicating: "Public Mobile here. Just to let you know, your Refer a Friend reward will be less on your next payment due to one of your friend's account inactivity." Okay, that makes sense.

What puzzled me is that on the main overview page, I see "Account Status: Lost-Stolen / Fermé", but it still indicates AutoPay will occur on Aug 30, 2018. So the other question... is this in fact the case?

As a precaution, I simply removed AutoPay. Would this have been enough, making the initial step (Suspend Service) unnecessary? I'm guessing the initial step is good for preventing unauthorized use if someone finds the phone, but being pre-paid, I'm not too concerned about that (and based on usage history, it doesn't look like it's been used in a few months).

3 REPLIES 3

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Since PM is prepaid, there is no chance of overage charge.  I will remove your credit card from your account - just in case the person found your phone calls 611 to add fund or add-on to your plan charging to your CC if you do not report your lost phone/SIM card.

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@jamsham wrote:

I'd imagine just turning off autopay wouldn't be good enough as they would be expecting you to pay for the next month too just not automatically. Not sure though.

Removing AutoPay is a way to suspend (with up to 90 days before full inactivation)... so I know my second step would've been sufficient.  I'm just trying to understand the use case where one would use "Suspend Service", and whether it would in fact result in continued billing.

jamsham
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I'd imagine just turning off autopay wouldn't be good enough as they would be expecting you to pay for the next month too just not automatically. Not sure though.

Need Help? Let's chat.