cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newfoundland number can't call a Newfoundland number without LD plan?

bmc1900
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just joined PM. Love the price, the first support issue though, very frustrating in trying to find out how to get help and send a message directly to a moderator - basically I'm not sure how to reach out to them?

Anyway, my number is 709-682-xxxx and I am trying to call 709-933-xxxx and it says I need a long distance plan. This tells me they probably maintain an npa-nxx list to tell if a call is province wide vs LD and that 709-933 is probably missing?

10 REPLIES 10

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Mary_M Thanks! I only asked because we’ve seen a few of these lately on the forum and I always assumed this kind of issue would be PM rather than account specific. Very interesting that certain numbers would be missing from one account to the next. 

*insert The More You Know star here*

@Mary_M,

Hey Mary, just a follow up on something you mentioned in a post in this thread, if you could elaborate a bit.

•  We also do have a workaround to allow customers to call local numbers without an issue until the ticket is resolved Smiley Happy

What is considered a 'local number' in this statement above?

My thoughts regarding this are for 'local calling areas' as we would have on landlines by default.  So as an example, a regular land line call from Ottawa, ON to Hull, Que, is considered local.  HOWEVER, on a province wide cellular plan from Public Mobile, it is considered a long distance call.

*I THINK* Public Mobile is restricting local area calling from our plans, and only providing 'Province Wide' or more coverage, and not including so called 'local calls'.

This doesn't affect me persay, however it is a huge issue for customers living near border areas like the Ottawa Region, and the folks who live in border towns like Lethbridge AB/SK.

pakmode
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Interesting thread. Useful information to know!

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

@mtfolks

You're welcome ! I believe that it's account specific because it does not affect everyone in the same geographical location. Once the "network" info is updated, that specific subscriber can call the local number that he was initially unable to. 

For example, you and I both activate PM accounts and we're in Ontario. I tried to call someone, but the error message appeared stating that I don't have an LD add-on. You then try to call the same number and the call goes through. In this case, a ticket is submitted for me not being able to call that same number you could call, although we're both with  PM. This is exactly what happens, but rest assured that it does not occur often - it occurs rarely! We submit a ticket and also put a workaround into place that would allow the subscriber to place those calls until the ticket permanently resolves the issue 🙂

I hope I didn't confuse you and I was able to clarify the situation !

Regards,

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

mtfolks
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Mary_M Thanks for the info! Is this a geographically specific or account specific fix?

In other words, once the “network” info is updated to included the number does that update it for all PM subscribers or only that specific subscriber?

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good question @will13am,

I'm not quite sure exactly how it works as this is more technical, but we all have numbers programmed in "our network" that can be called. Sometimes, a few numbers are not mapped in the customer's profile therefor the call is treated as long distance. A ticket would fix this within 10 business days. We also do have a workaround to allow customers to call local numbers without an issue until the ticket is resolved 🙂

I hope this clarifies your question a bit!

Mary

** Please do not post private info such as: phone number, account number, pin etc.. This is a public forum. **

wrote:

Good morning @bmc1900,

thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Basically, this specific number you're trying to call isn't programmed in your "network" - rest assured that this is something we can fix..Can you please send me a private message with your account details? I'll be more than happy to help you out 🙂

Kind regards,

Mary

@Mary_M, this network programing you are referring to, is this to do with profiling the account for all the province wide area codes?

Mary_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Good morning @bmc1900,

thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Basically, this specific number you're trying to call isn't programmed in your "network" - rest assured that this is something we can fix..Can you please send me a private message with your account details? I'll be more than happy to help you out 🙂

Kind regards,

Mary

bmc1900
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes, I have province wide calling. I've tried +1, just 709, and even just 933, but I get the same message about LD all the time.

JDT
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Just confirming that you have province-wide calling included with your plan?  If so, your call should be going through.  Trying adding +1 to the beginning of the number you are trying to call and see if that helps.

In order to contact the @CS_Agent, go here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage

Need Help? Let's chat.