cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to Love Public in St. John's, But They're Not Making It Easy

maj35
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently ended a job with a company where they provided the phone, phone number, SIM, service, etc.

I'm basically a free agent.

I bought an unlocked Pixel 7 on Amazon so I'm looking for the best place to get my service.

Online self-service options are the best way for me (investments, banking, etc) so I really want to love Public Mobile.  However, you're not making it easy: 

1) No e-SIM capability?  When you visit the website it says in big font "We're 100% Digital!".

2) No local SIM.  I'm sitting in St. John's Newfoundland and I have to wait for a physical SIM to arrive in the mail.  If the owners of Public Mobile knew how long and frustrating it takes to ship things to Newfoundland you would really have partnered with a local cell shop to make your SIMs available. Another sting is that your website says the sim will "Ship within 2 business days"; no info about what service it will take.  Trust me, when you have no phone number (surely a reasonable segment of your market) you are VERY interested in how long you'll be without service.

3) Website is too flakey for an operation where the sole service is provided through that website.  I created an account (to write points 1 & 2 above) and I started the typical "Verify your email" email.  It took about 15 mins for that email to arrive.  In the meanwhile I tried doing several password resets; none of these ever arrived.  As a result that original account I created is a dud -- no way for me to get into it.  Even to create a ticket it asks me to sign in or to request a callback (which is frustrating because I am without a phone at the moment).

4) Eventually I had to try to create a new account but this time from the front page, and everytime you click "Register" it sends you to a bot-chat which sends you around in circles.  Even had my wife try to register and she also finds the registration process confusing, and you get stuck in a bot-loop.

If anyone from St. John's is reading: Does anyone know where I can get a local SIM?  There are some (years old) forum posts about different stores that might have SIMS.  I'll probably call them but guessing these small shops are closed today on Sunday.

The length of this message should really emphasize that I'm really still interested in making this work, but Public Mobile's website and how hard I'm having to fight to get started is making me want to go back and pay Bell or Telus a premium so I don't lose another 1/2 day to messing with this website or trying to find where/how to get a sim.

Public Mobile: You're surely missing out on a lot of customers because of your difficult sign up process; most people experiencing what I am would have moved on long ago, but I'm just a fool who wants to believe in the principles of reasonably priced cell service, so I'm willing to help you try and fix the frustration that some new customers will experience.

9 REPLIES 9

@maj35 wrote:

So I just called a local Koodo and they said they have PM SIMs in stock; so that solves that problem.  

For people with an existing/working phone and plan I'm sure the Amazon option would work great.  But Amazon can be very frustrating in Newfoundland.  A 5 day guaranteed Prime delivery can often turn into a multi-week ordeal.  Not often, not usually -- but definitely sometimes; in fact that was the story of the very phone I'm trying to activate.  They were so many weeks behind on their 5 day delivery that I eventually ordered the exact same item again and it got to me faster (still never received the original order!).  

@maj35 , that’s great to know! Thank you for updating that you were able to find a SIM card locally! That makes is so much easier & faster.

1. Agreed.

2. There are corporate stores in the Avalon Mall and Village Shopping Centre. They should have sims. As mentioned, call ahead and use the Find a store link at the bottom of this page to find other corporate stores.

3, 4. Be aware that a community account here is not a service account. When you get a sim and use the Activate button up top and finish, you'll have a service account. Use the same email address as here.

maj35

So I just called a local Koodo and they said they have PM SIMs in stock; so that solves that problem.  

For people with an existing/working phone and plan I'm sure the Amazon option would work great.  But Amazon can be very frustrating in Newfoundland.  A 5 day guaranteed Prime delivery can often turn into a multi-week ordeal.  Not often, not usually -- but definitely sometimes; in fact that was the story of the very phone I'm trying to activate.  They were so many weeks behind on their 5 day delivery that I eventually ordered the exact same item again and it got to me faster (still never received the original order!).  

maj35

Thanks.  I love the idea of PM; I've been fortunate enough to travel to a dozen or so other countries and so I know I know Canada doesn't get a fair deal on mobile service.  So I'm going to stick through the few issues I've encountered and try to give it an honest try.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

You raise some very valid points, OP.

On the sim card front, I would not recommend ordering from Public Mobile direct as they seem to sit on the orders for weeks before shipping. You're better off ordering from Amazon, as someone else noted. Telus and Koodo stores also used to sell them, but I'm not sure if that's still the case (and if they do YMMV).

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@maj35 , I completely understand your frustration sorry! You can not create a Public Mobile “My Account” until you have the SIM card to create the account with.

Once you have your SIM card you can activate here -> Activation 

You can order a Public Mobile SIM card from Amazon “ Public Mobile SIM card ”  $4.99 + tax, free shipping if you have Prime Membership. Amazon is usually pretty quick with deliveries!

Or from “Canadian Cell Supplies”  $5.99 plus tax, free shipping through Canada Post, no tracking.

If you order a SIM card from Public Mobile website it can take up to 3 weeks to receive it! I live in NB & it took over 3 weeks to receive my SIM card from here which is delivered through Canada Post (I call it snail mail) which has no way off tracking it! Sorry 😕

Edit: I have been trying to respond to your post for 1/2 an hour! Sorry!

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@maj35 

to address your sim concern...have a look at this link I've provided. I've bought from them in the past. They're honourable and fast. I ordered sim on Thursday and received it on Tuesday ..in BC. If ordered from Public Mobile...it's been  known to take 3 weeks or more for the sim to arrive.

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards/products/multi-sim-card-for-standard-micro-na...

You have experience "fixing things" ? ...you're just the kinda guy we like to see around here.

Welcome aboard friend.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@maj35 

Well written post. Known issues with Public mobile. PM is working on the website issue and supposedly near completion.PM management is aware of the PM SIM card delivery issues.

Previously, SIM card were sold by 3rd party in store vendors, but not anymore.

Amazon does sell PM SIM card and if prime shipping is offered, it is a relative quick delivery.  

Telus and Koodo corporate stores do sell SIM card.

https://publicmobile.ca/en/ab/store-locator

Call ahead to make sure  the store has SIM cards in stock. 

Even maybe check Kijiji or Craiglist. In our city, there are a few private sellers. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

PM does not support eSIM.

PM stopped selling SIM through physical retailers. You might find some at corporate Telus stores.

Web site requires really clean browser to use. I do not use phone to access it at all. Only laptop.

To register/open an account:

- Purchase a new Public Mobile SIM card.

- Have a payment card ready, either a Canadian credit card or Visa debit

- Decide what email address you wish to use on the Activation Portal – each account has to have unique email

- Seek a referral code from a friend or relative who may have active PM service - this will save each of you money. You can ask for referral code here if you care to receive $10 sign up bonus. Person providing referral code will receive 1 point as long as you are PM’s customer.

- Start process of creating PM self-serving account and enter all relevant and required information

If you already have activated SIM then to open an account:

Yummy_0-1683470356537.png

Need Help? Let's chat.