cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I retrieve a text?

mrybak
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I recently had a data only plan but then I kept getting these messages from 611 saying "You have been sent a text but you need to have texting to retrieve it" so I got a plan with data but how do I retrieve the texts now??

7 REPLIES 7

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@mrybak wrote:

Ok thank you for your help too! do moderators respond to this so I can know for sure what Public Mobile's policy is? i'm using the community for the first time @CS_Agent

@mrybak they may eventually yes.  For general questions like this, tagging them as you have just done is fine.  For future reference if you need any help with your account specifically, then you will need to send them a private message.  You can find out how in this article:  https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/How-to-Get-Help/ta-p/251745

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mrybak

Ok thank you for your help too! do moderators respond to this so I can know for sure what Public Mobile's policy is? i'm using the community for the first time @Moderator_Team

dumbdobie1
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Yes as others have the system holds text messages for a brief period. I recall it was supposed to be 72 hours or so before text messages expire. Anyways good luck and I hope you don't lose any more messages 🙂

mrybak

ok thank you so much! I changed my plan and didn't get anything so I assume they don't store them then 

srlawren

@mrybak in general, most providers only store undeliverable texts for "a few" days, after which if they are still unable to deliver them to you (your phone is powered off, you are in an area with no coverage, your phone got smashed by a brick or dunked in the lake, etc) they are discarded.  

That said, I don't know what PM does with messages that are sent to you when you don't have a texting plan.  They may be discarded right away, or they may be stored for a few days and then discarded.  I don't know the answer to that.

So at best, you might get delivered a few days worth of text messages, but probably none.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mrybak

Ah yes I meant text, ugh well that's a bummer, I figured since the texts were notifying me that I had text message come then I could retrieve it 

srlawren

@mrybak wrote:

I recently had a data only plan but then I kept getting these messages from 611 saying "You have been sent a text but you need to have texting to retrieve it" so I got a plan with data but how do I retrieve the texts now??

@mrybak did you mean to say "so I got a plan with text but how do I retrieve the texts now??"?  I think you did, so I will answer that question:  you likely cannot.  However, any future texts will be delivered. 

Need Help? Let's chat.