cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently on an old plan and considering changing

angel9580
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I purchased my plan a couple years ago when you could build your own.

Mine is one of the 90 day renewals, with unlimited texting and calling and 3gb of data for 3 months at 4G/LTE. I currently pay $120/3 months

I was looking at the plans and noticed that there are no 4G options anymore, nor are there 90 day plans anymore. 

I was considering switching to the $25 or $35 plan, but i'm not sure if I want 3G data. Is it possible to upgrade to 4G?

I only use my data for social media, internet browsing, iMessaging, etc. I rarely stream videos or movies (maybe the odd youtube video). Would 4G or 3G be better for this?

7 REPLIES 7

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I have been with PM for about 5 months and don't really notice any difference in speed, although it has been throttled down. It would be advantageous to move to the cheapest plan in this case, $15. It's obvious when the two are compared.

Fluidmax
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I would switch, save about $15 a month and chances are you won't notice any difference. LTE lite has faster ping than regular 3G connection so everyday tasks like surfing and streaming would be on par of what you already experienced...not to mention at the end of the year you have an extra $180 in your pocket.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@angel9580 wrote:

Mine is one of the 90 day renewals, with unlimited texting and calling and 3gb of data for 3 months at 4G/LTE. I currently pay $120/3 months

I was looking at the plans and noticed that there are no 4G options anymore, nor are there 90 day plans anymore. 

I was considering switching to the $25 or $35 plan, but i'm not sure if I want 3G data. Is it possible to upgrade to 4G?

I only use my data for social media, internet browsing, iMessaging, etc. I rarely stream videos or movies (maybe the odd youtube video). Would 4G or 3G be better for this?

Trying out LTE light (I think it's a better description, because your data is still delivered over LTE where available, the speed is just throttled to 3Mbps) without affecting your current plan costs you $15 + possibly the SIM card cost.*

Go to a retailer near you and sign up for the $15 plan with autopay which gives you 250MB of data. you need a different e-mail address but can use an e-mail alias.

Wait a couple of days or a week until throttling kicks in and then try all the internet things you always do. If you are ok with it, schedule a future plan change for next renewal of your main plan.

Personally, with a very similar usage pattern to yours, I see zero noticable difference between LTE and LTE light and I like saving $15/30 days... Now that "after the limit throttled" 128kbps over at Lucky I'm just not patient enough to deal with, I've tried...

* Overall it will only be a cost if you stay on your current plan. If you switch it's balancing with your savings after 30 days on the new plan...

What would happen to the trial plan after you are done? If you'd sign up right now and refer from your main account you get enough credits for a second plan cycle. If you want to just abandon it make sure that you delete your credit card info. 90days after your last active day the account will automatically be deleted. Or you can port the number out to close it immediately, still delete the cc info before initiating the port though.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@angel9580, based on your usage pattern, I would definitely recommend getting the $25 plan and save $15 per 30 days and have access to Canada wide calling.  Had you been on the $120/90days/12GB legacy plan, I would suggest thinking about before making the switch.  It is a no brainer if you are paying $40/30days/1GB. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

currently you pay $40/30 days for 1gb

switching to the $25 plan will give you the same data /30 days and $15 savings.  you will also get canada wide calling (not sure if your current plan has that)

the two main differences are data speed (you won't really notice) and that  currently you have 90 days to use your data vs 30,  the 90 dyas is nice as it allows you to have a  spread data usage over a loger period of time. 

I think the cost savings alone are worth the switch to the $25 plan.  the $35 I dont feel is a good plan( $10 mor for only 500 mb).

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Most people will not notice a difference for daily use.  If you switch your plan - you won't be able to switch it back if you don't like your new plan.  If you decide to switch then it is recommended to change on your next renewal date.

LovesToPM
Mayor / Maire

@angel9580 wrote:

You shouldn't notice any difference.

But your old plan is worth keeping! It is no longer offered and there might be people interested to have such a plan.  Nevermind what I wrote. Your current plan is too expensive , you have "3gb of data for 3 months".

Btw if you find a way to sign-up for a new plan, there's an active promo running right now.

Need Help? Let's chat.