cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Unlocked' Samsung S8+ from Verizon not working with Public Mobile

skaffen82
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi there, I just bought an unlocked S8+ from the US and can't get it working with my Public Mobile sim (which works fine on my google pixel). I've entered Public Mobile's APN settings and triple checked they're correct, tried a factory reset and nothing seems to get the SIM working. I get the error 'SIM Card is not from Verizon Wireless' however it allows me to use the phone on wireless without any issues. Has anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

James

4 REPLIES 4

skaffen82
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

@srlawren I was saying that I could use data fine on WIFI, but celluar data / calls etc weren't working. I agree with both you and @Taekgun - although sold as such, the phone wasn't actually unlocked. I've since returned the phone for a refund. 

Thanks for your replies!

Taekgun
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@skaffen82

I'm in agreement with @srlawren here.  It sounds like your phone isn't unlocked, still being locked to Verizon.  What does your phone say when you put a different SIM card in?  If you get a screen asking for a "network unlock code", then your device is locked.

With your device locked, you would still be able to use any wifi you want - a locked device won't impact that function.

You will need to call Verizon to get your device unlocked or go onto eBay and search for a company to unlock it (likely for cheaper than Verizon will).

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@skaffen82 wrote:

I get the error 'SIM Card is not from Verizon Wireless' however it allows me to use the phone on wireless without any issues. Has anyone got any ideas?

@skaffen82 I'm confused what you mean that you can use the phone on wireless without any issues.  Do you mean that despite the message that the SIM card isn't from VW, you can make and receive calls, send and receive texts, and data works fine?  EDIT: or are you saying you can use data fine on Wi-Fi, but nothing is working over mobile network?  That message would seem to imply that the phone is not actually unlocked.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

casper69
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I’m actually wondering the same thing. I’m looking a purchasing the same unlocked phone from the US. I want to know if it would work on PM before I purchase 

Need Help? Let's chat.