cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone won't read my sim card

jmills0661
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi I dropped my phone and it broke on vacation.  When I got home I put my sim card in my old phone until I could afford a new phone.  

My old phone stopped reading my sim card about a week ago.  I assumed it was because my plan expired.  I paid my plan and purchased a new unlocked phone and still neither phone will read my sim card.  

I have purchased a new sim and it's in the mail.  My old phone was with PM as well.  Is there a solution to this problem?

15 REPLIES 15

@jmills0661 wrote:

It did work in my old phone but then stopped.  I assumed it was because my plan expired.  I paid my plan 2 days later and status is active but sim card still wont read, not even in the new samsung s7 I just bought(unlocked).

Your plan being expired wouldn't cause the phone to faiil to detect the sim card. It wouldn't even prevent the phone from connecting to the network. You just wouldn't be able to use the services.

ivigrace
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Yes had to be different settings, because you trying to use a different phone

@jmills0661 wrote:

I bought a samsung s7 unlocked....my old phone is an s4.   My account status is active.  

@jmills0661  Was the S7 you bought new or used? If used try inserting another card to see if it recognizes it.

Try the old SIM card in another (unlocked) phone.

If it works properly then there's hardware fault in the old phone. Which will need repair or replacement.

kselmak
Mayor / Maire

Hi

Do you get some kind of error message or a code input or does phone say that there is no sim present.

Did you try cleaning sim with alcohol?

@jmills0661 

You may want to contact moderator to check status of account and is there anything that PM can do to fix account. 

Click on on question mark on right lower corner of website to start ticketing process to get moderator help. 

@jmills0661 wrote:

I bought a samsung s7 unlocked....my old phone is an s4.   My account status is active.  

I just checked google and there have been reports of tape or a small piece of cardboard working on them also. Here' a video with a couple of other options: https://youtu.be/3sBg1h_pVvM. Found here: https://www.technobezz.com/fix-no-sim-card-error-android/

jmills0661

ChuckYeah
Mayor / Maire

@jmills0661 What kind of phone did you buy? Some phones don't make contact with the sim connectors well, especially used iphones. Sometimes a piece of tape on the back of the sim will help to force the contact, as a test it might be worth trying at least.

jmills0661

It did work in my old phone but then stopped.  I assumed it was because my plan expired.  I paid my plan 2 days later and status is active but sim card still wont read, not even in the new samsung s7 I just bought(unlocked).

@PAULRANG18 wrote:

There may now be an issue with your old phone. The original sim card may be fine and could work in the old phone. If that's the case, you could return the coming sim card and get a refund.

The policy on sim cards is no returns/no refunds. If the sim card doesn't get used, a customer can keep it as a spare, or sell or give it to someone else.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@jmills0661 wrote:

Hi I dropped my phone and it broke on vacation.  When I got home I put my sim card in my old phone until I could afford a new phone.  

My old phone stopped reading my sim card about a week ago.  I assumed it was because my plan expired.  I paid my plan and purchased a new unlocked phone and still neither phone will read my sim card.  

I have purchased a new sim and it's in the mail.  My old phone was with PM as well.  Is there a solution to this problem?

What is the name of your new unlocked phone?

Is your phone showing Public Mobile on the top noticifiation bar of your new and old phone?

You can test your PM SIM card with a phone from your friend.  This will eliminate the hardware problem.

Is your account status still active?

lukevader
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Did your plan expire? If not, what you're doing sounds perfectly reasonable for troubleshooting. If it did expire I would look down that path and communicate with a mod to look at your account.

@jmills0661 

Is your account status active or suspended?  Which model phone is your new unlock phone?

SIM cards do not often become defective. Possible. 

Maybe try manually loading $1 inch to your account. Sometimes reset your account. 

PAULRANG18
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

There may now be an issue with your old phone. The original sim card may be fine and could work in the old phone. If that's the case, you could return the coming sim card and get a refund.

Need Help? Let's chat.