cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to update Android on AT&T unlocked phone

DinoWPG
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I bought an AT&T unlocked phone (LG Velvet 5g). I tried to update to Android 11 & it says the phone is up to date.

The AT&T support site says I need an AT&T SIM to connect to their network for the update to work. 

I'm in Winnipeg, I have no way to get my hands on an AT&T SIM or connect to their network.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks,

Dino

26 REPLIES 26

@DinoWPG 

I think it's worth messaging/calling them to get an explanation on the roaming plans offered since it does work in Canada. The website doesn't explain it very well. It may be worthwhile as an option for when you do finally take a trip as they are $43/14 days/unlimited data vs $20/10 days/250mb (both w/unlimited calling and texting.)

DinoWPG
@darlicious - based on the XDA forum from the previous post, a prepaid SIM used in Japan didn't work, so I don't think it's worth trying in Canada.

I'll have to wait for my next US roadtrip. 2022 maybe?

DinoWPG
@softech - appreciate the link. From what I read, it's not looking promising unless.

@DinoWPG 

When CCS opens back up ( probably Tuesday) contact them to see if this prepaid $10 AT&T SIM card will work for you with or without adding a plan.

https://canadiancellsupplies.com/collections/sim-cards/products/at-t-prepaid-multi-sim-card-3-in-1-n...

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@DinoWPG i might have asked you..  did you check and post your question at XDA forum??

https://forum.xda-developers.com/c/lg-velvet.10477/

DinoWPG

Update: 

I'd purchased the phone through eBay. A return would've been possible I supposed but I didn't want to go through the hassle.

I've finally gotten to a PC (I only have a Chromebook) and can confirm, LG Bridge won't work. I get this message:

Cannot check the software version. Try again.

I suppose eventually one day when all this COVID stuff calms down, I'll get to the US and hopefully it's as simple as connecting to AT&T while roaming. If not, I'll beg and plead with anyone I meet who's on AT&T to borrow their SIM for a few minutes so I can force the update. 😕

@softech 

I think that may be the issue since the OEM can't be unlocked unlike my verizon variant pixel. 

@DinoWPG 

Talk to LG Canada support to see what they say... #wts or just return if possible.

When i searched around yesterday, I saw people saying LG Bridge won't work for software update on AT&T phone too.

@DinoWPG   yes, your phone is unlocked, so, you can use on other carriers without issue.  However, with some brands of phone, they leave the original phone carriers to modify on their vanilla OS (adding carrier specified apps, branding, etc) and send the OS update to the phones.  Afterall, you have the AT&T variant of the OS.. not the vanilla OS, so AT&T could still hold the key to this without violating the idea of unlocked phone.

Not sure if you can flush the ROM on AT&T's LG and that is the only hope in your case, I believe.  But that , even doable, would be a bit of work.. and have to do it right or phone would be bricked

@Anonymous  AT&T is "great" carrier  , their phones have all kinds of great "features" like this..   Not the first time I head ..

@Anonymous 

Or for anyone wanting this for LG phones the Android 10 updates are available there too...

Edit: Looks like I assumed you bought it at amazon.ca....where did you buy it? They shouldn't even sell at&t "unlocked" phones if they lock the OEM permanently?!! Can you return?

Spoiler

Canada LG Velvet 5G LMG900UM Android 11 Update

LG official is rolling out the Android 11 Update for the LG Velvet 5G LMG900UM (G900UM, LM-G900UM) in Canada.

The Android 11 Update for Canada version LG Velvet is software version G900UM20A and includes the February 2021 Android Security Patch.

• Software Version: G900UM20A_00
  • Buyer Suffix/Region: CAN
  • Model: LMG900UM (G900UM, LM-G900UM)
  • OS Version: Android 11 R
  • Size: 5.29GB
  • Filename: G900UM20a_00_0225.kdz

The Update is now available via OTA and LG Bridge.

if you have not received the OTA Update notifcation, please go Settings > General tab > Update center > System update > Check for update.

How to manually Update LG Velvet 5G LMG900UM to Android 11 with LG Bridge.

Download and install LG Bridge onto your computer.

Install LG USB Drivers

Connection your phone to PC.

Run LG Bridge and click the software update tab to upgrade your LG Velvet 5G

Canada LG Velvet 5G LMG900UM Android 11 Firmware

if you need to download the Android 11 based ROM for Canada LG Velvet 5G, You can grab it from the below links.

http://lgegdmswdl.s.llnwi.net/dn/downloader.dev?fileKey=FW64K08F03RWAYC79872ZXH/G900UM20a_00_0225.kdz

Remeber to download KDZ file from LG Server with XDM Download manager.

@DinoWPG 

I am by no means an expert on these things but I am good at research.....you basically need to flash a custom ROM to download the update because AT&T only provides updates to its branded phones to its customers on their network .....hmmm....I wonder if you were roaming on their network you would get it? 🤔 Anyways as I understand it you will have to use the bridge and the apps etc...to install the update yourself.....

The link to the forum...

https://forums.att.com/conversations/android/unable-to-update-att-unlocked-lg-v40-thinq/5f7a8efa6880...

The LG canada link I supplied earlier has all the links, software, APK etc...needed to do the custom ROM yourself unless that locked OEM is the death knell or if this is way too much for you then get on the no hassle return with amazon.ca.

This helps explain why LG is no longer in the cell phone business...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DinoWPG : You asked "what do you mean by". I tried to help. Sorry to insult you. Not my intention.

DinoWPG

@Anonymous  - I wasn't asking for a clarification about grammar thanks. 😏

Since it sounds like LG Bridge won't work, I'm trying to get clarification from darlicious about what else I should do once I pull out the PC.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DinoWPG : lol "pull out that ..." whatever is a colloquialism meaning to make use of the thing...wherever it might be located.

DinoWPG

@darlicious 

Can you share a link to the forum you mentioned?

I have investigated, and all I've seen on AT&T's site is AT&T moderators/staff pointing to their usual instructions (i.e., insert SIM, connect to network, go to settings...). That's why I started this thread. 

I've heard of LG Bridge (previously and earlier in this thread). Can you elaborate on your comments? It sounds like you're saying that even if I use LG Bridge, it won't work for AT&T unlocked phones. Is that what you're saying?

To use LG Bridge, I'd need a PC anyway. So, what do you mean by "pull out that pc"? Is there some other option you're suggesting to use? What is it?

@DinoWPG 

Aha....I found your answer on the AT&T forum...

Actually, if you took the time to investigate this issue, you'd discover that LG has an Android software update feature using LG Bridge. Updates through other carriers besides AT&T can be found, downloaded and applied from there, but AT&T phone owners get an error when they try to use this service. So your information is not entirely correct.

So pull out that pc.....

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious : And my phone still says UAE in there. So yes it's not tied to a provider but it is tied to a region. The only effect that I know of is Samsung Pay. So I use Google Pay.

I wonder if you could use that SIM in an APN-troubled phone? 🙂

@Anonymous 

Yes but your phone like mine wasn't tied to a provider. The new pixel came with verizon sim card mind you it did automatically update to the latest software once connected to the wifi.

DinoWPG

@Anonymous I think the key thing in my situation is that's it's an AT&T network "unlocked" phone. My research suggests this is standard for AT&T, regardless of phone brand

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DinoWPG : That's interesting that it needs a SIM. I have a Samsung phone that was for the UAE market that I bought from a small vendor in BC. It got updated to A11. It never saw any other SIM in it.

@DinoWPG 

Dang....but not surprising as they arr making it more difficult to do that kind of thing. I just got a new pixel 3 ( verizon variant) and I was able to unlock the OEM before I put my sim card in the phone. Hopefully you can do it thru your pc and I will keep my eye out for any mention of a DIY solution for you. Report back your results.

DinoWPG
Yup, OEM unlocking is available.
Still won't let me update based on that.
I'll read up on the link (then need to get to a PC to give it a try)
Thanks

@DinoWPG 

Here's the link to LG's Android 11 software update in Canada and how to manually update via a pc. To unlock your OEM ( if possible) go to your settings>> about phone and scroll down to the build version and tap on it quickly 7 times this will open the developers options. See if it offere OEM unlocking if so unlock the OEM and leave it at that. Once done you can then research further 

how to update if the LG site in the link doesn't help you....

https://www.mylgphones.com/lg-velvet-5g-lmg900um-android-11-now-available.html?amp

@DinoWPG wrote:

Hi,

I bought an AT&T unlocked phone (LG Velvet 5g). I tried to update to Android 11 & it says the phone is up to date.

The AT&T support site says I need an AT&T SIM to connect to their network for the update to work. 

I'm in Winnipeg, I have no way to get my hands on an AT&T SIM or connect to their network.

Is there any way around this?

I'm not familar with the type of options available in this models's recovery mode, but some devices can be updated using a factory image.  I do suspect that you'll require and unlocked bootloader. I suspect that this will not be easy to acheive.  I would check with the members at XDA forums. Please note that type of activitiy could cause your phone to stop working if you make a mistake during the process.

@DinoWPG 

Hmmm....go into the developers options and unlock the OEM to begin with and I'll do some research.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

I read around and look like there is no other way.  You need an ACTIVE ATT SIM for the update to push over.    Some people called LG and they weren't helping either...

Need Help? Let's chat.