cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new account - cannot get data on my LG G5 phone

loggerman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, I just signed up for the $15 per month plan and I'm not able to get any data. According to the plan I am supposed to get 250 Mb because I signed up with autopay. Do I need to activate something somewhere?

Tks, AB

23 REPLIES 23

loggerman

Hi, thanks for the tip!

Regards, AB

Master2000
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I use TracFone when I go to USA.
Unlimited talk + 1GB $20us
Unlimited talk + 2GB $25us
Unlimited talk + 3GB $30us
1GB add-on $10us
SIM $1 at Family Dollar
Any unused data rollover to next month.

Also if you change or renew you plan before the end of your 30 days plan, data and days left will carryover.

In your Public Mobile voicemail, you can add an "Extended Absence Greeting" telling people to call your US number.

loggerman

Hi, that was one of the reasons I signed up, because it gives me what I need in the USA. With Fido it cost $7 per day, which got really expensive, if you are there for 2 or 3 months.

If that $60 plan is gone when I need it, I guess I'll have to revert back to my USA phone, or something else, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Regards, AB

PS I should have mentioned in that solution message that I also set up the APN.

srlawren
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@loggerman wrote:

Hi, a factory re-set would create all kinds of problems for me, and I already have enough headaches, so I decided to try all the suggestions again.

I did a network re-set, then a network registration (automatic mode), then a re-boot of the phone.

Guess what, it worked!!

So now I can settle back and enjoy the $15 less is less plan, and bump up the plan when we move to Hawaii for the winters.

Thanks for all the help, Cheers, AB

@loggerman glad to hear it!

Just be clear:  what do you mean by bumping up the plan when you move to Hawaii?  Do you mean the $60 plan, or something else?  If the $60 plan, do note that it may or may not still be offered by the time you're leaving for the winter(s), and you can only choose from in-market plans (those actively being offered) at the time of a plan change.  I just wanted you to be aware that there is at least a possibility that that particular plan won't be available when you want to start using it.  If it wasn't that plan you were referring to, then would you mind elaborating a bit more as I'm not sure what other plan(s) would help for an extended trip to the USA.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

loggerman

Hi, a factory re-set would create all kinds of problems for me, and I already have enough headaches, so I decided to try all the suggestions again.

I did a network re-set, then a network registration (automatic mode), then a re-boot of the phone.

Guess what, it worked!!

So now I can settle back and enjoy the $15 less is less plan, and bump up the plan when we move to Hawaii for the winters.

Thanks for all the help, Cheers, AB

srlawren

@loggerman wrote:

GAH!

@loggerman agreed.  Make sure to send LG a nice thank you for the inconvenience!!

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

loggerman

GAH!

srlawren

@loggerman wrote:

Hi, ok, thanks for that link, I will contact them.

I have switched providers before, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

But muchos gracias for all the help!

Cheers, AB

@loggerman unfortunately, if the network reset did not work, you need to do a full factory reset.  This is an LG quirk that is not specific to Public Mobile--it can happen any time you change from one provider to another.  Please make sure you back up anything you want to keep that isn't already backed up or synced to a cloud service, since the factory reset will wipe all your data (and settings, etc) from your phone.

srlawren

@Jb456 wrote:

Did you just recently port your number from another company?. 

@Jb456 wrote:

Might still need a bit of time for port to complete but you could contact moderators at link below so they could look into it. Allow 24/48 hours for them to respond. Include your account info and details of your issue.

@Jb456 FYI, porting has absolutely nothing to do with whethe or not someone's data is working.  The information you have provided is not helpful at all.

loggerman

Hi, ok, thanks for that link, I will contact them.

I have switched providers before, so I'm not sure what the problem is.

But muchos gracias for all the help!

Cheers, AB

Might still need a bit of time for port to complete but you could contact moderators at link below so they could look into it. Allow 24/48 hours for them to respond. Include your account info and details of your issue.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

loggerman

Hi, yes, just switched from Fido, but it does properly show Telus as my network.

Phone and text works fine, so far ...

Regards, AB

Did you just recently port your number from another company?. 

Just taking a guess as your first post was few hours ago.If so, the port might not be fully completed yet.

Did you test both outgoing and incoming text, calls? Does that work?

@LudditeMy understanding is it has to be a complete reset, as network reset is a hit and misss. It has to do with Lg's own customization more than anything. However I do feel changing carriers is a significant enough event that one should reset the phone anyways to make sure the number is propagated throughout the Android system.

loggerman

Hi, also just tried a network reset, no joy ...

@loggerman wrote:

Hello, thanks to all for such a bountiful response!

I have checked my plan & autopay, it all seems ok:

• This plan includes: -
  • 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • 250 MB at 3G speed
  • Unlimited International Text

I have rebooted my LG G5 Android phone (Android 7.0), no joy.

If I go into my settings->general->about phone->Network it looks ok except this:

Mobile network state: Disconnected

While I was in there, it actually tried to connect, and that status changed to Connecting for a few minutes, then back to Disconnected.

So it is trying to connect, but not succeeding ...

Any further ideas?

This forum rocks!

Tks, AB

You don't mention whether you have done that network reset, suggested by several people? it did the trick for lots of other LG owners in the past.

loggerman

Hello, thanks to all for such a bountiful response!

I have checked my plan & autopay, it all seems ok:

• This plan includes: -
  • 100 Minutes Canada-Wide Talk + Unlimited Incoming Minutes
  • 250 MB at 3G speed
  • Unlimited International Text

I have rebooted my LG G5 Android phone (Android 7.0), no joy.

If I go into my settings->general->about phone->Network it looks ok except this:

Mobile network state: Disconnected

While I was in there, it actually tried to connect, and that status changed to Connecting for a few minutes, then back to Disconnected.

So it is trying to connect, but not succeeding ...

Any further ideas?

This forum rocks!

Tks, AB

@GinYVR wrote:

@loggerman reset your lg phone it is a known problem with lg phones

Not an Android user, but have seen this solution mentioned. Is it just a network reset, or factory reset that is required?

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@loggerman , check the SIM status on your phone.  If you see cellular network state disconnected, then you need to try a network reset.  It might also be useful to confirm that the account set-up didn't glitch.  Just look for data in the add-on box from the overview tab.

@GinYVR wrote:

Will a network reset do anything @GinYVR ? Or is the full reset required?

Master2000
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Check if AutoPay still active in your account.

APN settings (restart your phone)
Name : Public Mobile
APN : sp.mb.com
Proxy : Not set
Port : Not set
Username : Not set
Password : Not set
Server : Not set
MMSC : http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy : 74.49.0.18
MMS port : 80
MCC : 302
MNC : 220
Authentication type: Not set
APN type : default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri
APN Protocol : IPv4
APN roaming : IPv4
Enable/disable APN : APN Enabled
Bearer : Unspecified
MVNO type : GID
MVNO value : 4D4F

Jb456
Mayor / Maire

When you log into your account does it show on your overview page under (My Data /add on section)?

@loggerman wrote:

Hi, I just signed up for the $15 per month plan and I'm not able to get any data. According to the plan I am supposed to get 250 Mb because I signed up with autopay. Do I need to activate something somewhere?

Tks, AB

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

Need Help? Let's chat.