cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring from Bell Family Plan

Booiegirl
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

We currently have 5 iphones (iphones 6 and 7) with Bell Mobility - all on a shared family plan.  We are looking at switching to Public Mobile and having individual plans.  Not sure what process would be (and want to get referral credits etc).  Main plan with Bell is under my phone number.  Do i just get 5 new PM SIM cards.  Then set up my plan and port my phone number to PM.  And then set up each of the other plans and port them individually from Bell.  Worried about process because of shared plan at Bell and if I port my number screwing it up.  I'm assuming this is something that people do all of the time and I am just making this more complicated than it needs to be lol but help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7

Shapla001
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

consider bell lines A to E, your one being 'A'.

Do it yourself process :

1.   Get 5 PM sims (1 to 5).

2.   Activate sim 5, while activating, chose move number option, give bell phone # for 'E', account #, pin is not required. for referral benefit, put a family/friends PM # as referral.

3.   Once activated, line is up, use bell line D, move the same way, referred by your new PM # (bell # as already moved over).

4.    Once activated line 2 with sim 2, Move line C, same way, can put either line 1 or 2 as referral #.

5.   Do same for rest 2 (B to A)

6.   You need to designate 5 e-mails as individual accounts/users

Hope I could be of help.

ashleyb
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

My parents did this. They ported the main line last and had no issues. Welcome to public mobile when you port. 

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@Booiegirl wrote:

We currently have 5 iphones (iphones 6 and 7) with Bell Mobility - all on a shared family plan.  We are looking at switching to Public Mobile and having individual plans.  Not sure what process would be (and want to get referral credits etc).  Main plan with Bell is under my phone number.  Do i just get 5 new PM SIM cards.  Then set up my plan and port my phone number to PM.  And then set up each of the other plans and port them individually from Bell.  Worried about process because of shared plan at Bell and if I port my number screwing it up.  I'm assuming this is something that people do all of the time and I am just making this more complicated than it needs to be lol but help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

I came from a Rogers Share plan.  There was only 2 of us but I ported the main Account holder last.  Not sure if I had to but that is what I thought would be the safest.  No issues at all with porting and now I am just like 6 weeks away from 2 years here. 

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Booiegirl, I am not totally familiar with these share plans and their specific terms.  I would imagine that there is a principle line and then secondary lines added on to the share plan.  To unwind the plan without causing a house of cards so to speak, I would suggest porting out the shared lines first leaving the principle line as the last line to leave so that there's no unwanted impact to the account. 

To make the activation process with Public Mobile as smooth as possible, I would also suggest that during activation, select a temporary number instead of incorporating the number port at that time.  The number port can be done immediately after account activation as a separate step.  When submitting the number port, just supply the sending (Bell) account number without any dashes or spaces, name of account holder, and check of authorization to port.  Leave the IMEI and PIN fields blank. 

With respect to referrals, Public Mobile uses phone numbers from existing accounts.  Once an account is fully set up that phone number can be used to refer subsequent accounts.  Enjoy the service and the savings. 

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

I would port the primary number (account holder) last. Not sure that it really matters though.

Things that matter is when porting use the name on the account not the person porting

Use different credit cards on the accounts max 2 per card

Use some one from forums for a referral if you don't have one, then once set up use the newly set up accounts for the next referals. You can spread the referals or keep them to the first account

If you use Gmail you can make account aliases as each account needs a unique email.  Ie name@gmail.com and name+son@gmsil.com are treated the same.

Hope that helps

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Booiegirl

People port over from shared plans previously.  I would recommend leaving the primary plan holder as the last account to port over.  Safer that way.  Activate the accounts, self refer for friend referrals credit.  For first line to port over, you will need another public mobile friend phone number to get the first credit.  I have never ported over a shared plan.... maybe others will give other suggestions.....

You might want to wait one to two weeks to see if there will be some promotions.  Like free instore SIM card, $25 instore credit, $25 friend referral credit, etc.  You just missed them last week.  For five lines, it might be more financially lucrative to do your ports with these promotions.  Instead of the regular $10 friend referrals and you have to pay for the SIM cards.....

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

@Booiegirl@ Yes, you will need 5 sim cards and you will have to activate 5 accounts as PM limits only 1 lone per account. You should not have any problem porting in from shared plan as long as you provide correct details such as account owner's name, account number and phone number you are porting in. It is always best to activate PM line with a new number. Then when you are all set, you request to port in.

Good Luck!

Need Help? Let's chat.