cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

video that I received by text is too big to forward

rickgarvin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have a Galaxy J4 2018 and unlimited messaging on my Public plan. I received a small (375KB, 25 seconds in length) video by text message and wanted to forward it to relatives. When I tried to forward the message, I got a popup that said the video was too big and I would have to trim it to send. I got the same message when I selected the video in my gallery and did the "share" option to send by the messaging app. I was able to send the video easily by email from my phone, however I am surprised that I could receive the video by text but not send the same video by text. I have looked all through my phone settings but I don't see anything that limits the size of a picture/video message. I understand that Public limits a video message to 2MB, but that should not be a problem for this video. Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5

rickgarvin
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the information, it helps a lot since the video I received was 25 seconds in length. My messaging app on my Samsung phone ("Messages" v 5.0.22.22) does not have a setting to allow me to increase MMS size. I will explore it further.

An option would be send the file by email as full size. Image will be better quality. Some free email account have file size limit too.  Can send the file with IM app.  Both of these will use data if not on wifi.

Dogbert
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Increase MMS sending size

• MMS Settings
  • Maximum Message Size

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@rickgarvin wrote:

I have a Galaxy J4 2018 and unlimited messaging on my Public plan. I received a small (375KB, 25 seconds in length) video by text message and wanted to forward it to relatives. When I tried to forward the message, I got a popup that said the video was too big and I would have to trim it to send. I got the same message when I selected the video in my gallery and did the "share" option to send by the messaging app. I was able to send the video easily by email from my phone, however I am surprised that I could receive the video by text but not send the same video by text. I have looked all through my phone settings but I don't see anything that limits the size of a picture/video message. I understand that Public limits a video message to 2MB, but that should not be a problem for this video. Any suggestions?

300KB

Most current mobile phones and operator networks support MMS. The maximum message size (along with the attachments) is generally limited to 300KB (MMS 1.2), but recently the MMS 1.3 standard has allowed for a maximum size of 600KB. Wireless carriers however can impose their own size restrictions.

Dunkgirl
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@rickgarvin wrote:

@rickgarvin  Because your messenger app is configured to send a max of 300kb by default and it likely is unable to compress / re-encode whatever codec of that video. Go into your messenger settings and set it to 400kb or whatever you want. It means the person who sent it to you has their mms size limit higher than you.

Your 375kb video should be no problem once you increase it on your phone. https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/photo-video-messaging "Usual limits for MMS are between 600 KB and 3.5 MB per photo and 600 KB or 15 seconds per video." so unless it takes the lower of 15 seconds, it should be fine.

Need Help? Let's chat.