cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to get a friend set up on Publicmobile... no data or acct access.. Please help us out

ovranch
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

We have the phone working/text  but no data.. Purchased the 30 plan with 500mb with auto top up which included another 500mb.. 

Would also like to port in his telus number once we have acces to his acct.. 

15 REPLIES 15

ovranch

Thx for your help, we did the vpn profile update and its working fine, Cheers Terry

ovranch

ok u r awesome, did the vpn profile update... Thx so much!!!!! Safari working on Public mobile with out wifi

ovranch

OK when he gets back here, will try new profile APN link 

ovranch

ya he really need to get another phone 🙂 thx for your suggestions cheers Terry

ovranch

ive asked him to do an ios update , as well i think i was trying isp.mb.com and should have been sp.mb.com

CalgaryBen
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@ovranch wrote:

its an old iphone 4

Here you go... this thread walks you through setting up the APN on an iPhone 4 (you can't directly modify it via the UI; you have to leverage a configuration profile that unlockit.co.nz provides:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Phones-Hardware/FYI-iOS-and-APNs/m-p/323119#M24563

The APN you've been setting is for the personal hotspot, which won't provide data access for the phone itself.

Note that the iPhone 4 isn't capable of MMS on PM, so if that will be a requirement, upgrading at least to an iPhone 4S will be required.

@ovranch 

I also found this thread about changing Iphone 4 APN setting,  Iphone 4 is older phone ... not possible to manually change APN?

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Discussions/APN-setting-with-iphone-4-ios-7/m-p/54513...

@ovranch wrote:

we must be tying in the wrong password.. Have a modertor on it now.. Yes we set it up at home.. its an old iphone 4

That will be the issue.  @CalgaryBen  had made some great posts on updating the phones so that data will work.  Search his name and look for his posts.  I would but I am heading out the door as I type this and can't do the search for you.

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

@ovranch wrote:

for your time, I did set the APN to isp.mb.com

we did the acct set up here at my house as he is not tech savy.. 

I would try sp.mb.com

ovranch

i will try your suggestions, Thx so much for your help

cheers Terry

@ovranch 

A few things to try:

1. Reboot phone

2.  Network reset

3. Turn airplane mode on and then off

4. Try to put his SIM card into your phone and vice versa.  To see whether it is a hardware issue versus Public mobile issue.  

5.  If LG phone, may need to do factory reset.  

6. Make sure APN Settings are exactly the same for that model phone.

ovranch

we must be tying in the wrong password.. Have a modertor on it now.. Yes we set it up at home.. its an old iphone 4

@ovranch wrote:

Do the APN settings match exactly what is shown on that site?  Again what phone is it as I believe some LG phones need a network reset or even sometimes a factory reset.  If you set up the account at home I don't understand what you mean by not being able to gain access to it?  Have you forgotten password?

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

ovranch

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@ovranch wrote:

We have the phone working/text  but no data.. Purchased the 30 plan with 500mb with auto top up which included another 500mb.. 

Would also like to port in his telus number once we have acces to his acct.. 

What type of phone is it as some need a network reset to get data working.  

Here is a great site to set up your APN and instructions on how to do it.  Find the APN Settings for Public Mobile here!.

For account access did you activate in store? If you can answer these couple of questions we  can help out and narrow possible solutions for you

Need Help? Let's chat.