cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

registering for a child

ardiel
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

As a parent, could i register for my child's phone so I could manage the account without letting the child have access to the account?  

9 REPLIES 9

You are correct,  you can  change the number to yours.

Void
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

@DennyCrane wrote:

@Void Can to change the eversafe number to a number that is not for the line in question? I didn't think you could. I'd be very surprised if you could do that.

I never tried and don't want to try.

But that phone number is editable in the Manage EverSafe ID page.

If it can't be changed to a different number, the editing wouldn't serve any purpose. (Except to annoy the people who port their number in but the number OTP being sent is not updated. 😁)

@Void Can to change the eversafe number to a number that is not for the line in question? I didn't think you could. I'd be very surprised if you could do that.

Void

@DennyCrane wrote:

You can manage the password, but if they have the phone they can reset it with a text code.

I was talking about the "Phone number" setting in the "Manage EverSafe ID" page. I think this settings specifies the number OTP is sent, so perhaps the parent can change this to their number so the parent's email address or phone is needed to reset password, instead of the child's.

@DennyCrane wrote:

Also if they run out of data they may get a text from PM asking them to reply if they want to purchase more data. And sometimes PM will text offers to change plans as well, and you only have to reply to the text to accept it.

I think the promotional offers can be opt-out.

Not sure about the "more data" offer.

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

You can manage the password, but if they have the phone they can reset it with a text code. Also if they run out of data they may get a text from PM asking them to reply if they want to purchase more data. And sometimes PM will text offers to change plans as well, and you only have to reply to the text to accept it.

Void

Just curious as I never tried these myself.

Aren't the email/phone number for password reset the ones from EverSafe profile, which I think can be different from the actual mobile phone number for the account?

@Sansan wrote:

That's what I do. I have several accounts for each of my children and while they can have access, they don't.  It's my email and my password. 

They have the phone but no access to this account or community. As a parent, my children only has access to my password and information IF I provide it to them. You have to teach them what you want nd dont them to have access to.

All the child would have to do would be to perform the password reset option and the person will have instant access.  While Public Mobile would send an e-mail message about this, there is no actual way to prevent the child from getting into the account.

Sansan
Mayor / Maire

That's what I do. I have several accounts for each of my children and while they can have access, they don't.  It's my email and my password. 

They have the phone but no access to this account or community. As a parent, my children only has access to my password and information IF I provide it to them. You have to teach them what you want nd dont them to have access to.

@ardiel wrote:

As a parent, could i register for my child's phone so I could manage the account without letting the child have access to the account?  

Sorry, but whiile you can manage the account, anyone with access to the device can access the account. This is because anyone with access to the service associated with the phone number could actually use procedures to change the password.

Need Help? Let's chat.