cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"public mobile" offering data plan for $5 .......is this a scam?

mckenzdi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Got a call from "public mobile" offering data plan for $5 (half price).  After pressing for info she admitted she worked for "John Keels" and was based in India.   .......is this a scam?

4 REPLIES 4

Jeremy_M
Retraité / Retired
Retraité / Retired

Also to add to @Martin post, Public Mobile will never call you asking for your personal account information such as P.I.N, Credit card # or account number. 

@mckenzdi you did the right thing in verifying with the community!

Cheers!

Martin
Legend
Legend
Hello,

Considering that the caller was engaging in an act of fraud by telephone, you may wish to contact the OPP Phonebusters, which works with the RCMP and Ontario ministries. The most that will be asked of you is a faxed report of who contacted you, the caller ID number, the date and time of the incident, and any other relevant facts that you recall.

If interested, google OPP Phonebusters, or call your local OPP's nonemergency number, and ask for the Communications Centre. The Centre will have the toll-free fax number.

Fraudsters operate on quantity. They know that a certain percentage will not take up the offer, but they also know that some will, thus making identity theft worthwhile.

If you want to help your fellow citizen from falling prey to identity or credit card theft, fax your report to the OPP.

mckenzdi
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

thanks for the info (and phew, happily i didn't fall for their offer)

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

Hello. Public Mobile NEVER contacts PM clients, EVER, on matters like this. Definitely smells scamulous to me. Thanks for posting that on PM's community. That helps

Need Help? Let's chat.