cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"phone not allowed"

a_gordon
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

I recently joined public mobile and registered with my feature phone. I wanted to switch over to my old iPhone (an iPhone 7 that I bought brand new in 2018) but, even though my SIM card is working perfectly in the first phone, it only says "no service" when I put it into my iPhone. Also, when you look in the about section of the carrier setting on the iPhone it says "phone not allowed".

I've tried a software update on my phone as well as an update to the carrier settings. That didn't work.

I read on here that my phone might be marked "lost or stolen" but I can't verify that either cause the link that's supposed to take me to the compatibility checker thing doesn't seem to be working for me.

I verified that my phone is unlocked from my previous service provider.

Soooo, I'm really lost and I would really appreciate some assistance.

Thanks so much,

A

14 REPLIES 14

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@a_gordon 

from where you getting your device which company provider, contact them to unlocked for free, but if you don't don't know then ok contact apple canada or go to store and ask them they will take your id some a Q. them give the name of the provider locked to... to you conatct that provider to be unlocked for you for free.. no fees.

also check your new SIM card in other deivce see it it's works. or you can go to any store of Telus or Koodo ask them for SIM test your photo is it works. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

And do a full reset on the phone. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Check here for black list 

Wait for results...only allowed 2 checks per 24 hours. 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@a_gordon 

To check if the iphone 7 is locked to another provider...

• Open the Settings app on your iPhone by tapping the grey gear icon.
  • In Settings, tap “General,” then select “About.”
  • On the “About” screen, scroll down to the very bottom of the page and locate the “Carrier Lock” item.
  • If you see “No Sim Restrictions,” then your iPhone is unlocked.

If unlocked, remove the SIM card again, gently check the sim slot opening and clean or gently blow on an angle to remove any lodge debris. Then reinsert the SIM card.

It wouldn't hurt to perform a reset of the device's network settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

If still doesn't work, can you try another provider's SIM card in the iphone 7 to see if services work?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

Which provider sims did you try?

Remember that Bell and Virgin and Lucky are "one" provider.

Rogers and Fido and Chatr are "one" provider.

If the phone worked with Telus or Koodo then the phone should work here regardless of being locked.

a_gordon

ya, its wacky. I might try submitting another ticket for customer service cause I think my other one expired (oops). Maybe they will know what is happening.

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot. I appreciate it.

Let me know if you have any breakthroughs

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@a_gordon 

Hmmmmmm......,🤔

a_gordon

ok, I tried re-entering my phone number associated w/ my apple id but that also didn't seem to work. You can enter the carrier manually or automatically but either way it still says no service

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@a_gordon 

Check in your Apple profile and or your Apple ID and maybe you have to enter the phone number or or the carrier or something like that. I'm trying to remember exactly what iPhone users have done in the past since I'm an Android user I'm going by memory alone. But check in your Apple ID profile and see if you need to update it.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@a_gordon 

Well as Martha Stewart says " this is a good thing!" So now we just have to narrow down what the actual issue is?

a_gordon

thanks for the link.

I entered it and it said: "Your device HAS NOT been reported lost or stolen and is not currently on the national blacklist."

so I guess its not that either

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@a_gordon 

Just in case you might as well check if it's been blacklisted.

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

a_gordon

I don't think its possible that my phone is locked tho cause I used it with 2 separate service providers in the past

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@a_gordon 

Who is your old service provider? They probably gave you the wrong information it indicates that your phone is still locked to your previous carrier. You would have to give them the IMEI # from your phone and they contact Apple who will unlock the phone for you.

If you never did this then your phone is not unlocked. Contact your previous provider again and if they give you a hard time tell them that as of December 2017 the WCC requires providers to provide the unlocking code or in this case with Apple products send a request to Apple to unlock the phone for you. They are to do this upon request, without charge and without delay.

If they do not want to do this tell them you will be immediately filing a complaint with the ccts and that you intend to follow it through until the very bitter end to ensure that they are given a code breach.

This will immediately get your old provider to contact Apple to get your phone unlocked.

Need Help? Let's chat.