cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Invalid SIM" after activation timed out

roxannedunn
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

While trying to set up a new account (with a new/just purchased SIM card) the activation process timed out (slow internet?).  Anyway when I went to start over the next day it says the SIM card is invalid.  I have sent several messages to the moderators but have not had the issue resolved.  First they asked for 3 ID from me which I supplied to them in a return email.  The next day I got a vague "I hope you have setup your service" email from the same moderator.  This morning I had an email from my old provider saying "I'm sorry to see you go" so I assume my number has been transfered to PM.  But I still do not have an account that I can access.  Tried  reset password and it says my email is not registered.  Any suggestions on how to proceed. I really want/need my phone set up!

15 REPLIES 15

@DonForgo wrote:

I request port during activation, after completion, I put in the SIM, called out from it, it had a different number than my own, texted from it, received call and text from it, at that number. 

I am confident in what happened, and my knowledge in this industry, so yah, there was a temp number that doesn't get released. Most people would probably keep their previous provider SIM in, until it doesn't work, then put in the new Public Mobile SIM. 

I signed up at 12:45pm PST, Community signed up after that, then received a text saying $2 auto pay reward is added at 12:58pm, then a text and email at 1:28pm saying my number has been transferred and account active. 

Within that 45 minutes, I was using a different number 😃 

I've also done this, and there was no temporary number. I also called my number and it rang at the old provider and the number shown calling was the same. It was as if the number was calling itself. Public mobile assigns the ported to number to the account the very instant the port has been requested. I've done for a few activations, and this is the way that it's always happened.

DonForgo
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

@computergeek541 wrote:

@DonForgo wrote:

Public Mobile did assign a phone number to me when I did my activation earlier today.
The only carrier that doesn't do temp numbers is Bell/Virgin. 

Public Mobile doesn't (nor do any of the Telus-owned brands) issue a temporary phone number if you request a port in at the same time of activation. The only time that you would see a new number would be if the port in was done later, seperate from the activation process.

I request port during activation, after completion, I put in the SIM, called out from it, it had a different number than my own, texted from it, received call and text from it, at that number. 

I am confident in what happened, and my knowledge in this industry, so yah, there was a temp number that doesn't get released. Most people would probably keep their previous provider SIM in, until it doesn't work, then put in the new Public Mobile SIM. 

I signed up at 12:45pm PST, Community signed up after that, then received a text saying $2 auto pay reward is added at 12:58pm, then a text and email at 1:28pm saying my number has been transferred and account active. 

Within that 45 minutes, I was using a different number 😃 

@DonForgo wrote:

Public Mobile did assign a phone number to me when I did my activation earlier today.

Public Mobile doesn't (nor do any of the Telus-owned brands) issue a temporary phone number if you request a port in at the same time of activation. The only time that you would see a new number would be if the port in was done later, seperate from the activation process.

DonForgo

@computergeek541 wrote:

@Ed404 wrote:

@roxannedunn wrote:

I have tried to activate it again probably four times, again  this evening after seeing the message from my old provider that "we are sorry to see you go".  I assumed this meant that the number would now be set up in PM.  So yes, I am transferring a number from Telus (which seems to be already transfered?). 

Not sure how that could happen if the sim didn't activate and the payment didn't go through. Maybe you should ask Telus if they are porting it maybe this is an error. Does your Telus sim card still provide service?

Some prepaid carriers actually do open an account and assign a phone number or port one in before payment is even made. I do not know if that is case with Public Mobile, but it wouldn't surprise me, especially when there was an error message during the activation process. Wind Mobile used to actually full open prepaid accounts and port in phone numbers without any payment to the account. I know this becuase one time, I opened an account there but did not apply the top up voucher until a couple hours later.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@roxannedunn Click here to register your selfserve account.

@Ed404 wrote:

@roxannedunn wrote:

I have tried to activate it again probably four times, again  this evening after seeing the message from my old provider that "we are sorry to see you go".  I assumed this meant that the number would now be set up in PM.  So yes, I am transferring a number from Telus (which seems to be already transfered?). 

Not sure how that could happen if the sim didn't activate and the payment didn't go through. Maybe you should ask Telus if they are porting it maybe this is an error. Does your Telus sim card still provide service?

Some prepaid carriers actually do open an account and assign a phone number or port one in before payment is even made. I do not know if that is case with Public Mobile, but it wouldn't surprise me, especially when there was an error message during the activation process. Wind Mobile used to actually full open prepaid accounts and port in phone numbers without any payment to the account. I know this becuase one time, I opened an account there but did not apply the top up voucher until a couple hours later.

@roxannedunn wrote:

This is actually the exact problem (through no fault of yours) that is the reason people say to never port a phone number in during activation. This doesn't doesn't happen all that often, but when it does, the new Public Mobile account gets opened and certain parts of it work just enough so that Public Mobile does manage to get the phone number ported in. However, because the error/timeout, not everything finished setting up. I'm almost certain that if you checked online with your bank, you may very well see a pending charge from Public Mobile. I just hope that there aren't duplicated finalized/posted charges.

In any event, when something like this happens, only the moderators can fix this for you. They'll need to finish up the self serve account set up and account provisioning.

Ed404
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@roxannedunn wrote:

DonForgo

@computergeek541 wrote:

@DonForgo wrote:

@roxannedunn wrote:

SIM is not activated.  Payment did not go through. Email is correct.  A moderator has replied ... again and I have provided them verification answers.  Hope they can sort it out soon.

Sounds like the SIM is burnt, there's probably ways for the SIM to be re-used, but I honestly doubt that Public Mobile's system supports that. You might end up having to get another SIM and get it credit to your account. 

No clue though, good luck 

The sim card wouldn't be the main concern here. I would be more worried about the number being ported out from the old carrier.  If that was done, only the moderators can fix this up. Odds are the moderators can get this sim card and card properly activated.

If it was to be ported it would be ported onto his SIM, then he wouldn't have the issue. 
Systems is designed to move his number over to the new SIM regardless. 

And even if it was ported in error, one quick call to the previous provider can pull it right back to the previous provider. 

Then re-do the transaction.

The worry actually is the burnt SIM and the 'cost' needed to get another one, to re-do the transaction. 

roxannedunn

@DonForgo wrote:

@roxannedunn wrote:

SIM is not activated.  Payment did not go through. Email is correct.  A moderator has replied ... again and I have provided them verification answers.  Hope they can sort it out soon.

Sounds like the SIM is burnt, there's probably ways for the SIM to be re-used, but I honestly doubt that Public Mobile's system supports that. You might end up having to get another SIM and get it credit to your account. 

The sim card wouldn't be the main concern here. I would be more worried about the number being ported out from the old carrier.  If that was done, only the moderators can fix this up. Odds are the moderators can get this sim card and card properly activated.

Ed404

@roxannedunn wrote:

I suggest trying to activate again, I had the exact same problem when I first got my sim. Are you tranferring numbers or is this a new line?

DonForgo

@roxannedunn wrote:

roxannedunn

Ed404

So the sim card is activated, but you don't have an account? Did the payment go through? Are you entering the email correctly maybe you made a typo when activating.

You probably want to contact the moderators about your email.

Need Help? Let's chat.